Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,603 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ryeguy
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am pretty social and can shoot the **** with anyone but I still don't like doing that just to become some ***** who only cares about finding rarer bottles when shopping at a local store.

That said, if going to a larger store like Specs or Total Wine that has a humidor...they usually only have 1 or 2 people who are knowledgeable about the cigars and nobody else. Ask for someone who knows cigars and develop a relationship with that person over a couple visits and buy some sticks they recommend.

At a few different places I've lived, the cigar guy recognizes me after 1 or 2 trips and then I can just ask him after looking in the humidor if he's got any great bourbons in the back. Each time they're open to going and finding whatever they can. Likely because i wasn't 1 of 1000 dudes walking in every day only looking for allocated bottles, stalking delivery trucks etc. Doesn't lead to a Blanton's every time but it's a solid angle.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was friends with the owner of my usual store at my last base.

But that mostly started because I came in and was honest the first time that I was looking for the best bourbon selection in town and I had just moved from Texas so we talked differences in availability between the two markets. After that he recognized me when I came in and eventually we got to talking football and non booze.

I didn't do any palm greasing or anything outside of bringing good booze to get togethers but so did everyone. I think, especially in bigger markets, you'll be seen through if you're just making a relationship to get bourbon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
In general, I also usually do well when I come in and can find someone that knows new stuff to market and we can talk about that.

If they're into bourbon shooting the **** about a new bottle has to be way better than another damn Blanton or weller talk.
Merph42
AG
To further the point, just went by my local Spec's to see what's on the shelf, talking bourbon with a clerk I'd never spoken to before, next thing I know he comes back with a bottle of Smoke Wagon and sells it to me at case discount pricing. Just be a good person, people will be good to you.
Bulldog73
AG
I actually just called the local spec's the other day and asked if they had anything allocated. They had some Eagle Rare and some Weller, but I got the KC 120 proof instead which was on the shelf.
proc
AG
MW03 said:

I have asked for recommendations, or I have told clerks what I am looking for (i.e., non-chill, 100+ proof, rye forward, blah blah blah). And we have talked bourbons I might buy, and more often than not I will take their suggestion. But other than that, no "tell me about your life" BS.

After having this interaction a couple of times, I've had the guy ask me if I liked the one he suggested and what not, and we've talked about that. On one occasion, it caused him to bring me out an Eagle Rare he had set aside for someone else. On another, he grabbed a me a smokewagon out of a box that had literally come in off the truck and suggested I try it.

I wouldn't call that anything other than just really good customer service. I asked relevant questions, he gave good suggestions, after a couple of iterations, he remembered what I liked (and probably appreciated that I wasn't hounding his ass for Blanton's or something like everyone else), and then he started giving me options to try other things.

I have no idea what he does for fun on the weekends, though.

Redemption, 10 year, High Rye Bourbon. Another hidden gem.
MarathonAg12
Trades complete. Good day on the road
Farmer1906
AG
How much money are you kicking in for the antique bottles?
MarathonAg12
Farmer1906 said:

How much money are you kicking in for the antique bottles?

None. If you offer the right bottles, you'll get BTAC. Simple as that. Get a feel for what the trader likes and then go from there. Most of all be fair and honest in all trades you do. Bourbon community is smaller than you think.

I had a guy message me "EC18 for your 2020GTS?"......
MarathonAg12
Kentucky Derby Next Week.

Any special bottles you guys like to take out of the cabinet or derby themed cocktails you guys create?
trouble
AG
Gonna be lots of mint juleps over here
Bunk Moreland
Yeah nothing crazy. Mint juleps like usual...probably try it with woodford double oaked this year.
Scotts Tot
AG
Am I the only one that doesn't love a mint julep? For some reason the bourbon and mint just don't complement each other very well on my palate.
MW03
AG
After months of searching, I finally came across another bottle of Rare Breed Rye. Bonus, it was in the office alongside a KC15, which I've never had the pleasure of trying. Both at MSRP.
87Flyfisher
AG
Picked up the Chattanooga 111 today because of several positive posts here. Really good, hard to believe it is only aged 2 years (or 111 proof). Makes me really look forward to what longer aging will do to it. Bet it won't be $40 for long.
Sazerac
AG
I've been looking for kc15, nice find!

Bourbon Smash is a good bourbon highball for spring / summer in lieu of a Julep
MarathonAg12
Closed out the work week by opening up a Discovery 4 with a good friend last night. Before I left, we both agreed that the juice inside this bottle is the epitome of bourbon.
AGBrewer512
MW03 said:

After months of searching, I finally came across another bottle of Rare Breed Rye. Bonus, it was in the office alongside a KC15, which I've never had the pleasure of trying. Both at MSRP.

Rare Breed Rye is available at MSRP in Austin Area. Typically see it at Spec's and TL. Just fyi.

Haven't seen a KC15 in a few months....
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

Closed out the work week by opening up a Discovery 4 with a good friend last night. Before I left, we both agreed that the juice inside this bottle is the epitome of bourbon.

Shh...don't tell anyone.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Scotts Tot said:

Am I the only one that doesn't love a mint julep? For some reason the bourbon and mint just don't complement each other very well on my palate.

Haha there's a reason they're only drank in Kentucky on one day out of the year.
AggBock
AG
Found blantons and Blantons gold just collecting dust here in Athens today. Picked up a gold, I don't like the normal one so much. I heard of another store that has SFTB as well. Gold was 98 bucks.
austinag1997
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Scotts Tot said:

Haha there's a reason they're only drank in Kentucky on one day out of the year.

Not an everyday drinker, but that is one damn good drink at 8am in NOLA.
aggiecouch
What does this board think of whistle pig? Seems like Specs usually has some in stock, ranging from somewhat reasonable to very expensive.
FriedTex
AG
Best available rye out there IMO
Sazerac
AG
It used to be the dirt cheap option for drinks at IAH, now it's not.

I like it but never buy bottles.
AGBrewer512
aggiecouch said:

What does this board think of whistle pig? Seems like Specs usually has some in stock, ranging from somewhat reasonable to very expensive.
Given it's original intent, and the fact that I'm not a huge fan of 100% Rye whisky, you should take my comment with a grain of salt.

Bought a bottle of Piggy Back 6 Year when it first came out. That particular one was supposedly designed to be a cocktail mixer, but I typically drink whisky straight. It was okay, but nothing extraordinary. My dad liked it, so I gave him the bottle (he makes old fashions).

Just my 2 cents on that particular bottle.

SpiderDude
AG
aggiecouch said:

I love the store pick 10 years because A: They're actually usually much older than 10 years (I've heard of some as old as 17), and B: They're cask strength. They're usually Alberta barrels... so the taste profile is a bit different than many of the US Ryes. I have 5-6 at the moment. Not all cracked yet. One of them will be a gift for my oldest daughter when she's of age... the juice is the same age as her.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Do they indicate the true age of the spirit on the bottle somewhere?
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
MarathonAg12
SpiderDude said:

aggiecouch said:

I love the store pick 10 years because A: They're actually usually much older than 10 years (I've heard of some as old as 17), and B: They're cask strength. They're usually Alberta barrels... so the taste profile is a bit different than many of the US Ryes. I have 5-6 at the moment. Not all cracked yet. One of them will be a gift for my oldest daughter when she's of age... the juice is the same age as her.

Have you tried the 12 yet? I think I'm going to open it this weekend.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Some stores do an additional label with the pick info and age. The label from whistlepig is always the 10 year.

I don't care for the 12 or 15. I think they're fine enough but over priced.
TikkaShooter
Old Forester Statesman:

Yeah, this is nice.

Now I want to stack this side x side in a blind test with a Makers barrel select store pick.
SpiderDude
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Do they indicate the true age of the spirit on the bottle somewhere?

Unfortunately not. I wish everyone did what Knob Creek does with theirs... date it went in barrel and date it was dumped.
jh0400
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

SpiderDude said:

aggiecouch said:

Have you tried the 12 yet? I think I'm going to open it this weekend.

WP12 is MGP (I believe this is still the case) diluted to <90 proof and finished in port, sauternes, and madeira barrels. It's good but completely different from the older Alberta single barrels. WP15 is good, but I tend to think that most 15 year MGP ryes are overpriced.
lazuras_dc
AG
Able to pick up a few things today. Bardstown disco 2 , statesman, redbreast cask 12 and a 375 of JD sbbp.
Boat Shoes
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/2021/04/21/sweetens-cove-tennessee-bourbon-backed-by-peyton-manning-and-andy-roddick-lands-in-texas-this-week/

First Page Last Page
Page 619 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.