Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,780 Views | 37589 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by SydB92
Bourbon Junkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarathonAg12 said:

Rescued some dusties today.

Maybe I've had too much Poor Man's Pappy tonight but how can a label say both single barrel and small batch?
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

That is the label I have seen on the new ones as of the last couple months. But I have also seen the other label. I am not sure what they are doing.
I found these at a mom and pop looking like they have been sitting there for a bit. I'm used to the black labels that look nicer on the 9year 120s
MarathonAg12
Bourbon Junkie said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Maybe I've had too much Poor Man's Pappy tonight but how can a label say both single barrel and small batch?

Man, great minds drink alike. This was my first time doing the 40:60 ratio and it did not disappoint!
proc
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Bourbon Junkie said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Man, great minds drink alike. This was my first time doing the 40:60 ratio and it did not disappoint!

Mine is still resting. Fighting to give it a few more weeks before the tasting.
betadawg1
AG
Here is another one you might enjoy. The small amount of ER really makes a difference.

MarathonAg12
I love this idea. Where did you make the stickers?

Also, does the old sticker come off clean or did you scrub it with hot water to take the residue off?
betadawg1
AG
I friend's wife got them off of Etsy. I soaked and scrubbed and used acetone to get the last bit of glue off.
CTGilley
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

CTGilley said:

That is the label I have seen on the new ones as of the last couple months. But I have also seen the other label. I am not sure what they are doing.
I found these at a mom and pop looking like they have been sitting there for a bit. I'm used to the black labels that look nicer on the 9year 120s
I saw a mix at TW last month.

There is a Shaddy shop in Rockdale that had some dustyish turkey. I almost picked up a Kentucky Spirit bottle from 2 bottlings ago. I did pick up a Sam Houston American. It was cheap so worth a try.
proc
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Central Texas was good to me today.

EHT SMB, $39.99
ER10, $39.99
Henry McKenna 10, $36.99

Best $40 bourbons out there. The secondary market for SMB blows my mind and the the fact that ER and SMB is the same MSRP is even crazier.
Take a chance on Chattanooga 111. You won't be sorry.
proc
AG
betadawg1 said:

Here is another one you might enjoy. The small amount of ER really makes a difference.

I have done this and I do recommend.
CTGilley
AG
proc said:

betadawg1 said:

I have done this and I do recommend.
I have had one mixed up for several months. I do not feel like it is better than the sum of its parts but it is also not worse.

Edit: I say that then go and top off my bottle to finish off the Weller and OGD... Also I tasted it and it is at least 4 months in the bottle. It tasted very similar to SmB.
SpiderDude
AG
betadawg1 said:

Sorry sir but you're .0044 off on your ABV dilution to meet BiB proof. ;P. That's assuming you used OGD114.
MW03
AG
What's the mix for EHT4?
Bigfootisreal
Got some 111 last week and it is very, very good!
proc
AG
MW03 said:

What's the mix for EHT4?
Poor Man's 4 Grain?

60% Weller Special Reserve
38% Old Granddad 114
2% Eagle Rare

Invert the contents a few times, let rest for a month, drink.
betadawg1
AG
proc said:

MW03 said:

What's the mix for EHT4?
Poor Man's 4 Grain?

60% Weller Special Reserve
38% Old Granddad 114
2% Eagle Rare

Invert the contents a few times, let rest for a month, drink.

The first one I made was 60% WSR & 40% OGD 114. It seemed pretty hot and the addition of ER makes a difference.

I finally put the original 60/40 batch in a small oak barrel a little too long and over oaked it. It made a pretty good Gold Rush but the extra oak seemed to give everyone headaches.

Played around some more and discovered that 1oz of the over oaked mix, .5 oz EC and .5oz Mellow Corn made one of the best Gold Rush I've ever had.
MJ20/20
AG
Do you use honey syrup, honey, or something else in your gold rush?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Mellow corn.

Pound for pound greatness
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Baseball practice over. Thursday pours.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Good way to end the week!!!
TikkaShooter
Walked into my local Specs today. Asked about Knob 12, as it was on the shelf last week. Was hoping to grab another one or two.

"Thats allocated now, and we are out at the moment"

Soooo whats the deal. Are we just going to continue to "allocate" any and every bottle that gets a mini cult following? This seems ridiculous
betadawg1
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Do you use honey syrup, honey, or something else in your gold rush?

Honey syrup. 2 parts honey, 1 part water.

2 oz booze
.75 oz lemon juice
.75 oz honey syrup (less if you prefer less sweet)
Shake with grapefruit peel
MarathonAg12
Friday Trading Day
aggielostinETX
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Walked into my local Specs today. Asked about Knob 12, as it was on the shelf last week. Was hoping to grab another one or two.

"Thats allocated now, and we are out at the moment"

Soooo whats the deal. Are we just going to continue to "allocate" any and every bottle that gets a mini cult following? This seems ridiculous

Taters.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Lot to break down there.

Allocation is not the liquor stores choice.

Allocated is a term a lot of the bourbon world is weird about, all it means is the store can't order as much as they want whenever they want from the distributor.

I'd wager as soon as Knob 12 was added to the Beam Suntory SKU list it was allocated, new item with a higher age statement and less production than KC120 or similar.

Yeah it seems like everything that gets a following gets thrown into the allocated space for a while at least but that's because people are driving to 6 liquor stores to find every bottle in their area not because stores are trying to make things hard to get.
CloudRusty
What you trading today?
TikkaShooter
Thanks for the explanations.

I'll just take my business to smaller liquor stores that put everything on the shelf. Even if it means paying a little more on each bottle.
proc
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Thanks for the explanations.

I'll just take my business to smaller liquor stores that put everything on the shelf. Even if it means paying a little more on each bottle.
Even my small mom and pop store in the country is getting squeezed out of KC12 picks. To be fair, it's a really freaking good $60 bottle and word is out. Including here.

Merph42
AG
Are you greasing palms at your local store in order to stay on the short list for when allocations come in? I haven't found the need to do this; but didn't know if paying to get the heads up was common practice?
GarlandAg2012
AG
The only "payment" I have ever given is to be a regular customer and I have brought the owner a 2 oz sample of two things he had never been able to try before. YMMV. I also don't buy multiples at a time and have never flipped anything.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
AlaskanAg99
AG
When it comes to 'good relations' with a small store, always buy something when you go in. Sure ask about the bourbon, but always buy a bottle of something so you support them when they don't have what you're looking for.

Learn to make cocktails. Esp tiki cocktails and you'll always be needing some sort of odd rum. If you only ever go in looking for 'rares/allocated' you'll most likely be dismissed. And chat with them, hopefully they'll let you know about something they have tucked away.

That's where I was going with the small store next to my work that I'd go into during lunch once a week. That was 13 months ago. Too far now for a single weekly run when I know the owner will be there.
proc
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

The only "payment" I have ever given is to be a regular customer and I have brought the owner a 2 oz sample of two things he had never been able to try before. YMMV. I also don't buy multiples at a time and have never flipped anything.

Same. I enjoy dropping samples at the liquor store, of stuff they've acquired for me and stuff I hope they can order. Will it get me to allocated stuff? We will see this Fall.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't have a lot of social skills- I have a hard enough time making friends with people who have similar interests. I don't have the energy or ability to suck up to some guy at the liquor store.

I do well with getting allocated bottles because I buy a lot of bourbon off the shelf. No samples, no cigarettes or other gifts.

The secret is that some of the best bourbon made at any price point is sitting on every liquor store shelf with a $55-60 price tag.
Jim01
AG
This is my biggest hurdle. I cringe at the "build relationships" advice or "it's behind the counter, you have to ask for it". Ugh! Just put all the stuff on the shelf! Why must I interact!
MW03
AG
I have asked for recommendations, or I have told clerks what I am looking for (i.e., non-chill, 100+ proof, rye forward, blah blah blah). And we have talked bourbons I might buy, and more often than not I will take their suggestion. But other than that, no "tell me about your life" BS.

After having this interaction a couple of times, I've had the guy ask me if I liked the one he suggested and what not, and we've talked about that. On one occasion, it caused him to bring me out an Eagle Rare he had set aside for someone else. On another, he grabbed a me a smokewagon out of a box that had literally come in off the truck and suggested I try it.

I wouldn't call that anything other than just really good customer service. I asked relevant questions, he gave good suggestions, after a couple of iterations, he remembered what I liked (and probably appreciated that I wasn't hounding his ass for Blanton's or something like everyone else), and then he started giving me options to try other things.

I have no idea what he does for fun on the weekends, though.
First Page Last Page
Page 618 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.