Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,056 Views | 38371 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They were mixing up the prices so you couldn't tell what you were actually drinking.

I wouldn't pay for most of those
trouble
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

trouble said:

I love GTS.

I usually drink rare/high end stuff at The Republic so I just make the owner pick something for me.
i had dinner there alone last night and sat at the bar. the results of their bourbon tournament thing is proof the general public knows nothing about good bourbon.

Riiiiiiiiiight?
bmfvet
AG

‘99
RGRAg1/75
AG
Where is this?!!
MarathonAg12
I was curious this evening so I reached for a bottle in the back of my cabinet. Curiosity killed the cat this evening. But that is what's great about this board, sharing some facts, findings and recommendations about all bottles, even some not so talked about ones.

Widow Jane Distilled From a Rye Mash American Oak Aged Whiskey

This 91 Proof Rye Whiskey turned out to be a total bust for me. It just falls completely flat all around. The nose was the best part of the pour as I get a nice spiced rye note. The taste and finish is flat apple juice and pears. That is all.

I would not recommend this to a friend. Perhaps I'll save it for some summer cocktails in the coming months or perhaps I'll shoot it straight during the football season. I can't wait to open up the Discovery 4!

Ornithopter
AG
I really like regular Belle Meade and love the reserve - is the Sherry Cask that good?
SpiderDude
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Where is this?!!

I'm guessing duty free or cruise ship?
bmfvet
AG
Duty free in Miami, went into 3 and they had at least 40 bottles. Pro tip, you can buy more than the allowance for your arrival country, just are supposed to pay duty there on arrival. I was not a pro at the time or we would have bought more bottles than we did (some of our group was also rescheduled through Charlotte instead of Miami and they had none there).
‘99
MarathonAg12
DubFalls said:

I really like regular Belle Meade and love the reserve - is the Sherry Cask that good?

I'm curious as well. I've heard nothing but good things about the Reserve.
MarathonAg12
bmfvet said:

Duty free in Miami, went into 3 and they had at least 40 bottles. Pro tip, you can buy more than the allowance for your arrival country, just are supposed to pay duty there on arrival. I was not a pro at the time or we would have bought more bottles than we did (some of our group was also rescheduled through Charlotte instead of Miami and they had none there).

Yeah, that reminds me of the airport in Istanbul. Amazing selection on spirits but I could only get so much. I'd be curious to see what that ***** third coast racks up every time he ports his boat. Don't know the Navy's regulations.
Wheatables02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

I was curious this evening so I reached for a bottle in the back of my cabinet. Curiosity killed the cat this evening. But that is what's great about this board, sharing some facts, findings and recommendations about all bottles, even some not so talked about ones.

This 91 Proof Rye Whiskey turned out to be a total bust for me. It just falls completely flat all around. The nose was the best part of the pour as I get a nice spiced rye note. The taste and finish is flat apple juice and pears. That is all.

I would not recommend this to a friend. Perhaps I'll save it for some summer cocktails in the coming months or perhaps I'll shoot it straight during the football season. I can't wait to open up the Discovery 4!

The color on this looks terrible. More scotch than Bourbon.
AGBrewer512
Wheatables02 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Yeah, it's probably a 5 month old bourbon...
MarathonAg12
Yeah. Puts a bad taste in my mouth for anything Widow Jane now.
MarathonAg12
AGBrewer512 said:

Wheatables02 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Yeah, it's probably a 5 month old bourbon...

It's aged 2 years in New York.
proc
AG
Have we talked about New Riff here yet? Because that SB is damn good.
AGBrewer512
proc said:

Never seen one in the wild, but always wanted to try their SiB or BP. Where did you find it if you don't mind me asking?
proc
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

proc said:

Never seen one in the wild, but always wanted to try their SiB or BP. Where did you find it if you don't mind me asking?
Local whiskey club. They had a few set out at a bbq and it was as good as the hype. So...I had one legally mailed from Canals in New Jersey to Louisiana, where a friend will mule it to Texas for me.
07fta07
AG
I've got probably 6 New Riff picks. Each is very unique but they're all very good - haven't had a subpar one yet. One of my favorites for sure.
Their Maltster wheat is excellent also.
tsuag10
AG
Hey guys, I'm not a regular follower of this thread but I bet y'all can point me in the right direction.

My dad is wanting me to find a bottle of WL Weller Antique 107.

I'm traveling all over the DFW area this week for work. Can anyone tell me where I can go up here to have the best shot at finding this?

Thanks!

Bourbon Junkie
tsuag10 said:

Hey guys, I'm not a regular follower of this thread but I bet y'all can point me in the right direction.

I'm traveling all over the DFW area this week for work. Can anyone tell me where I can go up here to have the best shot at finding this?

Thanks!

Offering up $ or a trade on this site is your best option if you're trying to get one while you're in Dallas this week.

I know of an out-of-state liquor store that will ship one to Texas for $120 if you want to go that route (yes, it's illegal but so is selling liquor via this thread).
AGBrewer512
tsuag10 said:

Thanks!

If you are in Central Texas, I can hook you up.
tsuag10
AG
Where are you located. I live in Bryan. Dad lives east of Temple in Falls Co.
Bourbon Junkie
If you're interested in checking out a new, readily available and affordable high proof bourbon, get your hands on the Blue Note 10 year Barrel Proof (should be $60-$70).

A store in Dallas had a sample that I liked so I took the plunge. IMHO, it's an incredible value at that price.

It's on the short list of sub-$100 bourbons that I like and can always find.
wessimo
AG
Daytona22 said:

I was asked to create a poll to keep this all in one place. If you're interested in the dickel pick... please visit the survey monkey site below and notate if you want more than one bottle. Then we can allocate from there.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SLWY2XT

Any Dickel pick updates?
AGBrewer512
tsuag10 said:

I'm in Austin Area, but should be able to make it up to Temple.

What's your contact info?
GarlandAg2012
AG
I got a bottle of this recently. I wonder if we frequent the same small store.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bourbon Junkie said:

If you're interested in checking out a new, readily available and affordable high proof bourbon, get your hands on the Blue Note 10 year Barrel Proof (should be $60-$70).

A store in Dallas had a sample that I liked so I took the plunge. IMHO, it's an incredible value at that price.

those are the 17 year old barrels i might be able to get for a texags barrel pick
MarathonAg12
Ducks4brkfast said:

Bourbon Junkie said:

those are the 17 year old barrels i might be able to get for a texags barrel pick

tsuag10
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

tsuag10 said:

user name at gmail . Com
proc
AG
Bourbon Junkie said:

This. It's a close second to the New Riff SiB for me.
AGBrewer512
tsuag10 said:

AGBrewer512 said:

tsuag10 said:

user name at gmail . Com
email sent.
TThom
Bourbon Junkie said:

You've sent me down a rabbit hole on this one and now I'm intrigued. Anyone seeing this in Houston area?
the dude10
AG
Love seeing all the new riff and Bardstown Bourbon Company talk. Stopped by the latter when we were in Kentucky a few weeks back and loved what they are doing. Very good stuff. Also, every liquor store had a new riff store pick it seemed and all different and tasty. Brought a few of each back home with me. Don't sleep on the Bardstown fusion series either, I wasn't expecting much as everyone talked about discovery series and ignored it but it turned out to be pretty solid as well. Tried a certain new riff at Justin's house of Bourbon and it was one of the best things I had on the trip
Post removed:
by user
07fta07
AG
If you like New Riff, put Starlight on your radar too. They're putting out similar aged stuff to New Riff in the 4-5 year range and do both a 3 and 4 grain mash. I've had several of each mash and have enjoyed them all, probably with a slight preference to the 4 grain.

I had a chance to try their distillery only release 7 year stuff and it shocked me how good it was. Once they get more stuff in that range, watch out, they'll take off (they're already starting to). Unfortunately they don't distribute in Texas so it's trades or less than legal means of acquiring unless you hit a state that's carrying it.
First Page Last Page
Page 609 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.