Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,824,505 Views | 38295 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Aggie Therapist
betadawg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a good day of hunting today. 2 stores.

First Bulleit store pick I've seen. The High West was finished in Macvin barrels.
Farmer1906
AG
Went to Del Frisco's tonight. Saw RIP at the bar walking to my table. Asked for it and our waitress said she couldn't find it. A few minutes later, I got a neat glass for free. Wasn't in their system and it wasn't quite a full pour. Delicious.
MarathonAg12
This is an amazing 12-Year wheated bourbon from the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfurt, Kentucky. If you enjoy Weller Special Reserve and Weller 107, you will enjoy the same foundation here but expect a much more well-rounded taste. The additional four to five years in the barrel provides a much heavier hint of oak yet still provides a smooth wheated taste you'd expect from Weller.

Nose: Oak barrels soften the sweetness of caramel candies
Palate: A thick consistency of burnt brown sugar and cinnamon. Added bonus of the 12 years spent in the barrels.
Finish: Wonderful 90-Proof mild spice that lingers and softly fades away like a good candy bar

This is a great bottle to share amongst friends and unwind with on the weekend. You are unlikely to find it at your neighborhood Specs or Twin Liquors. If you have the opportunity to purchase Weller 12 at MSRP, I applaud your findings. Happy drinking.

Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
third coast.. said:

Did you just give a full on review of Weller 12?
He did it like its 2015 or before and pretty common to find...
Post removed:
by user
GarlandAg2012
AG
When's the last time either of you put as much effort into a post as he does on a regular basis?
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Ok fair that's a good thread.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Bunk Moreland
I think he mentioned a while back he's newer to all this so he missed the glory years when you could stroll in and grab W12 like it was a 6 pack of miller lite.
AGBrewer512
He's not saying that you have to like it or that it's a "hidden gem". He's simply giving his personal opinion on the whisky. Nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure that you were at the same place he's at when right now back when you started your bourbon journey. So be cool guys, everyone is at a different level on their bourbon journey. Try and be respectful of that.
Post removed:
by user
proc
AG
Find a gal that appreciates you the way MarathonAg12 appreciates W12.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'll take a newbie like him over a newbie like a certain other poster in this thread who basically became a handy giving tater
MW03
AG
I've never been able to try W12, so I appreciated the review. Everyone always says "x bourbon is great" but never really explains why they think so. Posts like this definitely add value to the thread, even if the part at the end about it being difficult to find is a little bit humorous.
CloudRusty
Keep doing you my friend
Buck Compton
AG
MW03 said:

I've never been able to try W12, so I appreciated the review. Everyone always says "x bourbon is great" but never really explains why they think so. Posts like this definitely add value to the thread, even if the part at the end about it being difficult to find is a little bit humorous.
To be fair, yes tastings add value and are a welcome change of pace to the conversation, but the pretension that I find in bourbon reviews these days is also quite humorous.

It ranges from mild snobbiness all the way to curled up mustache, flannel scarf wearing hipster.

This is not a shot at Marathon, but I roll my eyes when people (especially people new to bourbon) write a review about the 20 different tasting notes they got from a 90 proof bourbon like it's a fine wine. I know everyone is just trying to accurately describe what they taste, but let's ease up a bit. I liked that Marathon kept his simple.

A perfect example is when reviewers try to sound fancy with terms of tastes they've likely never even tasted before (a few I saw and laughed at were "moldy sponge" or "gunpowder"). A good excerpt:

Quote:

Nose: Honeysuckle and layers of vanilla toffee. Soft woody spice appears from underneath with creamy lemon posset, fluffy apples, ripe pears and almonds. Sweet butter, brioche and pain aux raisins develop.

This is another one of my favorites. Somehow manages to link Blanton's with (among other things) "rain-wet slate", "pickle brine", "soot", and not just vanilla, but "vanilla fondant".

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/mecw0n/review_87_blantons_single_barrel_bourbon_bottled/
Ducks4brkfast
AG
A freshly opened can of tennis balls
MJ20/20
AG
Musty notes reminiscent of a worn out leather dildo case.
Bulldog73
AG
I'll see your tennis balls and raise you cut garden hose.
Sazerac
AG
JFC
Wheatables02
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I'll see your tennis balls and raise you cut garden hose.

How about the taste of cold water from a cut garden hose while standing in smell of fresh cut grass?
MarathonAg12
Just checked this thread during lunch lol love y'all.

Work will be getting busy soon, but I'm going to try and review Discovery 4 as soon as possible. It has three incredible blends of a 10,13 and 15 year Kentucky Bourbons. $115 MSRP at a Specs in Houston. Looking forward to a solid pour.

Wheatables02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Just checked this thread during lunch lol love y'all.

Work will be getting busy soon, but I'm going to try and review Discovery 4 as soon as possible. It has three incredible blends of a 10,13 and 15 year Kentucky Bourbons. $115 MSRP at a Specs in Houston. Looking forward to a solid pour.

This is something i actually do want to go find out about!
one MEEN Ag
AG
If y'all want some more relaxed reviews here are the responses from my friends at a wedding where I snuck in a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof:

"This tastes like varnish, but in a good way" (He's a marine)
"Good lord, what proof is it?"
"Wow, this stuff is better than what they have at the bar" (Father of the groom, while standing at the bar)
"You know you can't bring that in here sir"

Hope this helps you decide if you want to buy Elijah Craig in the future.

AGBrewer512
one MEEN Ag said:

If y'all want some more relaxed reviews here are the responses from my friends at a wedding where I snuck in a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof:

"This tastes like varnish, but in a good way" (He's a marine)
"Good lord, what proof is it?"
"Wow, this stuff is better than what they have at the bar" (Father of the groom, while standing at the bar)
"You know you can't bring that in here sir"

Hope this helps you decide if you want to buy Elijah Craig in the future.

that...was...hilarious!
John Francis Donaghy
I use a bespoke rating system that gets to the absolute core of my own personal truth of each whiskey I imbibe. It's unique, and subtle, but allows for the immutable character of each and every pour to be expressed in an approachable, yet applicable manner.

There are 5 levels from most outstanding to most unsatisfactory. They are as follows:

- Holy **** that's awesome!
- Really damn good!
- Taste's like another (courtesy of my grandfather)
- Better than most
- Good

End of options.
trouble
AG
Doing an online guided tasting thing this evening with Bardstown
Sazerac
AG
That sounds cool.

Going to a restaurant with a great selection for a celebration tonight. May splurge. Thinking a BTAC (or two) I haven't had....any sleepers I should consider?

WLW & GTS - but may be able to get a taste from a bud

One of the pappys? Taster flight?

I've only had er17, saz18, and THH. All fantastic.
MarathonAg12
Saz,

Have you had OF Birthday Bourbon (2018)? I had pour of it at the Grackle recently and it was like buttercream frosting. I'd definitely get it again.

Can't go wrong with GTS.
trouble
AG
I love GTS.

I usually drink rare/high end stuff at The Republic so I just make the owner pick something for me.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
trouble said:

I love GTS.

I usually drink rare/high end stuff at The Republic so I just make the owner pick something for me.
i had dinner there alone last night and sat at the bar. the results of their bourbon tournament thing is proof the general public knows nothing about good bourbon.
MarathonAg12
Ducks4brkfast said:

trouble said:

I love GTS.

i had dinner there alone last night and sat at the bar. the results of their bourbon tournament thing is proof the general public knows nothing about good bourbon.

Care to let us know what the bracket is like?

Blanton's, Blanton's, Pappy, Blanton's?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

trouble said:

I love GTS.

Care to let us know what the bracket is like?

Blanton's, Blanton's, Pappy, Blanton's?
64 bourbons and ryes facing off in a march madness type tournament. you pay for the two competing bourbons and have to try them blind. after so long (days?) they tally the votes and the winner advances. i was shocked at some that have advanced so far. the general public loathes higher proofs, it appears.

https://www.therepublicsteakhouse.com/new-page

Last years tournament:

First Page Last Page
Page 608 of 1095

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.