Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,748,003 Views | 37521 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by tu ag
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just gonna leave this right here. Not all mine but getting to enjoy them nonetheless.
Sazerac
AG
Not a great day in NJ/PA

Those are some slick bottles though ....
MarathonAg12
Any good spots in San Antonio to try?
CharlieBrown17
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Any good spots in San Antonio to try?

Alamo City

I really like the one on Thousand Oaks, awesome agave selection as well as above average in all other spirits
MarathonAg12
EHT SmB for $38 at Specs in San Antonio.

I really hate that I have to go to the main counter, specifically ask for it, be told that okay we have it in the back, limit one.

Allocation life I guess
Ducks4brkfast
AG
San Antonio was a gold mine for dusties back in the 09-11 timeframe.
AGBrewer512
Anyone tried the 15 year Single Barrel Dickel (104.5 proof)?

Never seen them put out an aged stated whisky with that old or that high of a proof.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The dickel bonded and SAOS single barrel select are close to age and proof to that.

They're both fine, the dickel bonded was a better value
SpiderDude
AG
Finally finished my bar this weekend and started stocking it yesterday, relocating my bottles from the living room. We did this in our converted garage room. It used to be an old space for a work bench. It's been months in the making... took longer than I expected but I'm happy with the results.

MJ20/20
AG
That looks great.
MW03
AG
Always good to see a collection of opened bottles.
MarathonAg12
Outstanding set up
Naveronski
AG
MW03 said:

Was thinking the same thing.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Yup. I collect to enjoy and drink, not flip or invest for long haul. I can't stand Instagramers with shelves full of unopened bottles. I figure if you're buying to sit on it then put that **** away in a box where it belongs.
proc
AG
Weren't we joking about JBBB just a few days ago?
Matsui
AG
Is this a marketing angle or something different?
MarathonAg12
Widow Jane Whiskey Distilled from a Rye Mash, American Oak aged.

I picked up a bottle of this at Twin Liquors.

Anyone familiar with this?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Widow Jane Whiskey Distilled from a Rye Mash, American Oak aged.

I picked up a bottle of this at Twin Liquors.

Anyone familiar with this?
What do you want to know?
MarathonAg12
How does it compare to other Ryes? Good pour?

I've never seen it before.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

No clue.

But semi-related, are you just buying every bottle you come across in the liquor store?
MarathonAg12
So, I explain my question further for you and you turn out to be an asshat.

MW03
AG
BreakingBourbon.com is usually my first stop whenever I run across something new. They don't re-review bottles which can be a problem, but it's a good resource. I have never seen Widow Jane, but I did find this: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/widow-jane-10-year-single-barrel-bourbon

By the way, I find that it affects my objectivity somewhat to read reviews. I'm prone to dislike a bottle they don't like and vice versa. Consequently, I'll usually only check it if I'm completely in the dark about something.

MarathonAg12
MW03 said:

BreakingBourbon.com is usually my first stop whenever I run across something new. They don't re-review bottles which can be a problem, but it's a good resource. I have never seen Widow Jane, but I did find this: https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/widow-jane-10-year-single-barrel-bourbon

By the way, I find that it affects my objectivity somewhat to read reviews. I'm prone to dislike a bottle they don't like and vice versa. Consequently, I'll usually only check it if I'm completely in the dark about something.

Thanks MW03! Good site.

SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Don't know (yet). It's supposed to be good for a whiskey from New York City.

CactusThomas
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

MarathonAg12 said:

No clue.

But semi-related, are you just buying every bottle you come across in the liquor store?

Not a bad way of life I would imagine.
AGBrewer512
So I decided to pick up a George Dickel 15 year (104 proof) Single Barrel. Given how much I liked the BiB (11 and 13 yr versions), I figured why not. Below are my thoughts on the bottle incase anyone is thinking about getting a bottle.

MASSIVE OAK, but not in a bad way. Yes it has some tannic oak notes to it, but they are subdued. Finally understand what folks mean when they say it has a leather note. Orange peel, Almonds, Cinnamon and a slight hint of cherries, vanilla, and maybe some caramel or fenugreek. Definitely a barrel note on the finish with a little vanilla and cherry, but not a long finish by any means. Medium mouth feel and it is very easy to drink. Almost have to remind myself to slow down.

I wouldn't say it is better than the BiB (11 or 13 year versions), it's just a different animal. They really don't compare to each other. Totally different flavor profile and a different approach to the development of each one.

Overall, a very well rounded whisky, but comes up short on being a "must have" type bottle for me personally. Can't think of another 15 year old Single Barrel bottled over 100 proof for under $70 bucks. I'd buy another bottle once this one is done...as long as it was a different barrel. Thinking that I just got a barrel that wasn't quite in my wheelhouse for flavor.

Again, these are just my thoughts. If you are thinking about getting a bottle and are in Austin Area, hit me up and I'll bring a sample so you can try before you buy.
MarathonAg12
High West American Prairie Bourbon-Barrel Select
(Aged in Port)

Tonight we dive into my first bottle of High West. I put off buying High West for months but when I saw the black label barrel select in port, I decided to give it a shot. I have a guilty pleasure for port finishes (especially after Angels Envy).

This is a great bottle to break out if entertaining guests who aren't the usual bourbon enthusiasts. Sometimes the aesthetics of a bottle will sway a novice bourbon drinker. This particular bottle is a limited release for Liquor Bueno in San Antonio aged 9 months in port barrels.

Poured neat:

Nose-Oaky sweet dessert wine and honey-citrus blasts into your nose with lingering notes of vanilla carrying into your mouth.

Palate-pecans and spice and everything nice. More oak, leather and fruit

Finish-The spice gently fades away into the throat with lingering notes of vanilla cocoa on the tongue

2nd Pour-honey, cinnamon and apples

Does it replace Angels Envy? No. Would I buy it again? Yes! If you are looking to diversify your cabinet and need a break from "the hunt" then this is a great limited release at $50 and below. I think High West has something really good going for them and look forward to trying other products in the future. If your on the fence about High West, grab a bottle and taste it for yourself.
Pac1698
AG
Thanks for the suggestion! A lady at TL was pushing the High West Campfire (even saying that it was about to be allocated only, don't know if she was full of it or not). Based on some of her other suggestions (stuff I've never heard of before), I decided to pass on it. But I might give it a try now.
jh0400
AG
Make sure you like peat before you buy a Campfire. It's a unique bottle that's not for everyone.
Superdave1993
AG
jh0400 said:

Make sure you like peat before you buy a Campfire. It's a unique bottle that's not for everyone.
I tried it at a bar, and to my surprise I did not hate it. Not sure that I would go through a bottle quickly but it would not sit forever.
AGBrewer512
Smoke Wagon hit Austin Area Spec's this week. Keep your eyes open if you are looking for a bottle.
Elsjuan
AG
That 1.75l owa hiding in the back. Would you be interested in a trade?
07fta07
AG
Houston today as well...and they're gone.
Sazerac
AG
Tasting notes on my pour of this years Bourbon of the Year ECBP (C batch):

It's absolutely delicious. Tastes like awesome bourbon. Great mouthfeel, as if mouth is full of bourbon. Lingering notes of sweet, delicious bourbon. Highly recommended if you enjoy great high proof bourbon.
betadawg1
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I do.
First Page Last Page
Page 603 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.