Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,851,125 Views | 38530 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by rca21978
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably not going to see the new Stagg Jr batch (15) for another couple months. When it drops, you'll need to jump on it because it won't last long.

As to the KC12 above, it's very good. Well worth the $60 list. I don't think $80 is ridiculous but I don't know that I'd personally pay $80 for it, especially when the SiB 120's are fairly available for $50ish and I prefer the higher proof.
AGBrewer512
07fta07 said:

Probably not going to see the new Stagg Jr batch (15) for another couple months. When it drops, you'll need to jump on it because it won't last long.

As to the KC12 above, it's very good. Well worth the $60 list. I don't think $80 is ridiculous but I don't know that I'd personally pay $80 for it, especially when the SiB 120's are fairly available for $50ish and I prefer the higher proof.

Well, maybe I need to make that happen.

I haven't had KC since the late 90's, don't remember much about it. Just that it was a bit hot. That was in the beginning stages of my whisky adventures though.
Icecream_Ag
S
Allen Gamble said:

Anyone had any luck finding Stagg Jr in the Houston area? Seems to be just as if not more difficult than finding EHT or Blantons
the little liquor store in the shopping village in front of bridgeland had some a few weeks ago and a bottle of the George t Stagg. I think they were $200 for the Jr and $700 for the sr
betadawg1
AG
Anyone tried this particular bottle? Small store has 4 on shelf. I'm thinking they were mistakenly delivered.

proc
AG
It's awesome, buy it.
MW03
AG
betadawg1 said:

Anyone tried this particular bottle? Small store has 4 on shelf. I'm thinking they were mistakenly delivered.

Nursing my second one
Sazerac
AG
That's KC120. Think that's the older label? Or a new one?

I have several of the other label. The older ones that have barrel dates over 9 are slightly better but these 9yr are awesome, especially at sub $60.
betadawg1
AG
MW03 said:

betadawg1 said:

Nursing my second one

So, worth a small premium for the store pick?
MW03
AG
betadawg1 said:

MW03 said:

betadawg1 said:

Nursing my second one

So, worth a small premium for the store pick?

Mine was a Specs version, so I can't attest to that specific one. I'd go for it though.
07fta07
AG
I'm always willing to pay a premium for a store pick.
mazag08
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Question.

When will the bourbon craze die down and it become abundant again? In twenty years from now, will the market and demand just drop off?

I think I've read that the early to mid 2030's should be when the supply side fully catches up.
MarathonAg12
Well, hopefully the younger generation doesn't take to bourbon.

Selfish Statement indeed. More for us!
CTGilley
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

Knob Creek 12 Year 100 Proof, any good? What's a fair price?
Yes. I am a big fan. A lot of people hate on it because it cost more and is lower proof than some of the store picks. I don't think we are going to see as many of those as we did in the past.
07fta07
AG
I think you'll still see picks, they're just likely to be 9 year instead of the 11-15 year that became pretty normal. Some of those older picks were pretty special.
CTGilley
AG
07fta07 said:

I think you'll still see picks, they're just likely to be 9 year instead of the 11-15 year that became pretty normal. Some of those older picks were pretty special.
Agreed
Wheatables02
AG
betadawg1 said:

You can email beam with the barrel number and in a few weeks to months, they can tell you how old it is and where it came from.
Ornithopter
AG
I think just the regular 9 year Knob Creek is pretty great, and it's a lot cheaper.
Sazerac
AG
While we are on KC....is there any bottle effect worse than the KC black wax? Pulling the string instantly gets you thousands of tiny black shards everywhere!
Ornithopter
AG
Sazerac said:

While we are on KC....is there any bottle effect worse than the KC black wax? Pulling the string instantly gets you thousands of tiny black shards everywhere!

I've never had this happen.
Wheatables02
AG
DubFalls said:

Sazerac said:

I've never had this happen.

You're a god and I am not /verticalhorizon
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

Yes. I am a big fan. A lot of people hate on it because it cost more and is lower proof than some of the store picks. I don't think we are going to see as many of those as we did in the past.

Man, I really didn't want to spend another $80, but I guess I'm going for it. Everyone keeps saying how good KC is, so it's time to see what all the fuss is about.
CTGilley
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

Man, I really didn't want to spend another $80, but I guess I'm going for it. Everyone keeps saying how good KC is, so it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

So if you are not a KC drinker. Maybe pick up the 9 year first.

I wouldn't pay 80 because I have one but it is not a bad deal. 100 IMO is the perfect proof. I like much higher and I have friends that like lower so it is a good one to share.
MW03
AG
I can understand complaining about 80 proof, but I don't see anything wrong with 95-100. There's lots to love from good bourbon at that proof. I genuinely enjoy the higher proof too, but I think you can miss out by discounting the lower proofs out of hand. KC12 and KC120 is a perfect example. Lots to love out of both of those.
MarathonAg12
AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

AgBrewer, give me a couple weeks. I think I can get you a bottle for $60
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

AGBrewer512 said:

CTGilley said:

AGBrewer512 said:

AgBrewer, give me a couple weeks. I think I can get you a bottle for $60

Right on brother. I'll take you up on that.

I'll try to remember to circle back on this in by the end of March.
AGBrewer512
betadawg1 said:

The info below was told to me by a guy that works at TL, not sure if it is true, but seems to make sense.

When the pandemic hit in 2020, restaurants and bars weren't selling a whole lot of stuff. As such, they opted to not purchase certain bottles (hence the increase of us being able to find the good stuff like Stagg Jr., ECPB, etc.). This includes barrel pick stuff. Twin Peaks (your barrel pick) is a restaurant that I recall seeing off the highway in Austin Area (think it was something like a Hooters). Anyways, they (just like other restaurants/bars) decided not to take delivery on their picks, so the liquor stores were given the option to purchase them. I've seen a double barrel Herradura tequila that was picked by another restaurant here in Austin called the Iron Cactus. At $50 for that tequila, I'm pretty sure it'll be coming home with me soon. That tequila is supposedly pretty hard to find (not sure as I've never looked or even heard of it before).
proc
AG
And all day I thought he was at Twin Peaks liquor in Alpine.
Sazerac
AG
This is correct, and TL is one of the only liquor stores that is also a distributor. So they will sell excess directly to the public.

I have a Longhorn Steakhouse KC120 that was in the barrel for 14yrs. So good.

I also picked up a slew of EHT, bakers 13, and stupidly passed on a MWND from a TL this past summer.
AGBrewer512
proc said:

And all day I thought he was at Twin Peaks liquor in Alpine.
Well, it could be that liquor store, but my guess is that it was the restaurant chain.
Sazerac
AG
Standing in my first line for Bourbon....OFBP

Why is this so embarrassing??

jetch17
AG
Premier?
Sazerac
AG
Yup. 60 bottles and it's 60+ deep.
proc
AG
I would tater for that. Good luck.
07fta07
AG
You went to the wrong store. Bad intel.
Sazerac
AG
I went to both
First Page Last Page
Page 598 of 1101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.