Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,289 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by ryeguy
Pac1698
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is blade and bow worth a try?
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm not a fan of willer one bit either.

Blade and bow is good. Plus it's got a cool name and it's a little unique with the solera aging
HouseDivided06
AG
I'm probably thinking of the 1.75 then. I stand corrected.
Pac1698
AG
Thank you!
MW03
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Who has this fancy bottle in their collection. It's molded after a pot still so that's cool. After reading some reviews and watching a couple video reviews I wasn't to impressed. But I guess I can't knock it till I try it. It's right under $50 at TL.

Is it worth it? Or just an attention getter.

I've gotten it as a gift a couple of times. I don't think I would ever buy it, but I don't think it's as bad as most make it out to be. When I've gotten it, I've just used it for mixed drinks.
John Francis Donaghy
Willet Pot Still isn't terrible as some on here like to say. It's generally not worth it's price tag, but if you end up with a bottle as a gift it's fine to sip or mix.

The 1.75s are crazy tall though. Got one as a gift and it has to live on top of the refrigerator because it won't fit anywhere in my bar cabinet that has many other 1.75s that all fit fine.
62strat
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

I'm probably thinking of the 1.75 then. I stand corrected.
oh yeh maybe so.. that would probably be up there with a Galliano. I don't know if I knew it came in 1.75.

LawHall88
AG
Castle & Key's first releases are out - probably impossible to get though.
Quote:

It is finally here. After numerous stop-starts, years of restoration, courtroom battles, personnel changes, delicious gins, waiting for the barrels to age with great patience, and lord knows what else to which the public is unaware, we have whiskey from Castle & Key.
Quote:

Somehow, none of these factors have kept head blender/brand ambassador/jack-of-all-trades Brett Connors and the Castle & Key Staff deterred. Eyes affixed on the road ahead, the first two batches of Restoration Rye were released exclusively as visitor center editions in December 2020. As of this writing, an allocation of the second batch should be available at select retailers. This brings us to the present day. So let's get on with it.
Quote:

Castle & Key Restoration Rye Batch 1 There are immediate bursts of cherry pipe tobacco and cooked brown sugar on the nose, with notes of Honeycrisp apple and faint black pepper as the rye rests for a bit of time. The burnt brown sugar note carries forth on the palate very assertively, with mild notes of burnt orange peel, dark chocolate, and dried fig towards the conclusion. The finish is a most welcome curveball as the savory makes way for the sweet: notes of maple and citrus dancing for a brief moment, just long enough to prepare you for the next sip. 103 proof. A / $40

Castle & Key Restoration Rye Batch 2 Plenty to love here if you're a fan of the lighter side of ryes, with bright notes of lemon peel and dried apricot on the nose immediately. A few drops of water bring out floral influences that do not overpower but which complement the previously mentioned citrus notes. Sweetness carries forth on the palate with apricot and graham cracker giving way to a rush of cinnamon spice before a most welcome burst of mint and menthol make their way to the finish, which is long and lingering. Unlike its sibling, this batch shows its relatively young legs, possibly from a number of factors warehouse floor and barrel being the first two that come to mind. If Batch 1 was a bold and declarative opening move, Batch 2 is serene and casual, with a versatility that could prove equally agreeable straight or in a cocktail. 99 proof. B+ / $40
https://www.drinkhacker.com/2021/02/12/review-castle-key-restoration-rye/
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

https://cdn.caskers.com/catalog/product/cache/ce56bc73870585a38310c58e499d2fd4/w/i/willett-pot-still-reserve-small-batch-1.jpg

Who has this fancy bottle in their collection. It's molded after a pot still so that's cool. After reading some reviews and watching a couple video reviews I wasn't to impressed. But I guess I can't knock it till I try it. It's right under $50 at TL.

Is it worth it? Or just an attention getter.

Had a bottle years ago and it just seemed middle of the road to me. Nothing special at $50.

However, and as is the case with most stuff out there, I would say give it a try (the 750mL that is). Worse case scenario, you have a cool bottle and have marked another bourbon off the list of what to try. Best case scenario, you found another bourbon that you like. Either way, you win.

If you decide to get it, let us know what you think.
Bunk Moreland
Got a Stagg Jr. First time to ever see it out. But then again I don't go running around hunting either.
Sazerac
AG
Sweet. Never seen on a shelf for retail.
MarathonAg12
May I ask how much?
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I had to do a double take. And it was $125 so I didn't even feel too fleeced.
HouseDivided06
AG
Isn't retail like $65?
CTGilley
AG
Pac1698 said:

Is blade and bow worth a try?

Yes. Underrated IMO
62strat
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Isn't retail like $65?
Yeh I've seen stagg jr in denver relatively recently (within last 12 months).. pretty sure it was like $70. I passed at that price. i've never had it, so don't know if $70 is worth it. I'd have to have it at a bar first to figure it out.

Only bourbon I'm spending $70 on lately would be blantons cause I know I really like it.
CTGilley
AG
I am going to pour another oz next week but if the next taste is similar I would gladly let it go at a discount or trade but I am in Pflugerville.
Bunk Moreland
HouseDivided06 said:

Isn't retail like $65?

Is it really 'retail' if it never even makes it to the shelf? This is the first time I've ever even seen it.

Also, here was a recent thread on an auction and it appears I paid about what people can get for it around here (without the auction fees):

Quote:

Same auction 20 just sold for an average price of $122.50 (hammer price - before buyer premium, taxes and shipping)
With all taxes and fees they ended up being an average of $161.50

Batch 12 (1 sold)
Hammer Price - $175
All in - $225

Batch 13 (4 sold)
Hammer Price - $125
All in - $164.50

Batch 14 (15 sold)
Hammer Price - $118
All in - $156.50

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3161697
Sazerac
AG
Stagg Jr was at Fiesta Mart for $45 a few months ago....

I'd pay around $100 max if it was somewhat available. It's worth more since it's not. It's not as good as ECBP for me, and probably not as good even as the KC120 ($65) but it's one of the best high proof options
Wheatables02
AG
CTGilley said:

I am going to pour another oz next week but if the next taste is similar I would gladly let it go at a discount or trade but I am in Pflugerville.
Ok just let me know and we'll work somethning out if needed.
AGBrewer512
Sazerac said:

I'd pay around $100 max if it was somewhat available. It's worth more since it's not. It's not as good as ECBP for me, and probably not as good even as the KC120 ($65) but it's one of the best high proof options

Didn't know that Fiesta started carrying liquor. I thought they were just a grocery store? There is only one that I know of here in Austin. I'm guessing that you are probably in Houston.
Sazerac
AG
Most / all in Houston have a freestanding beverage mart. They range in what they carry but there can be some good finds if you are driving by one.
lazuras_dc
AG
Sazerac said:

Wow. Never seen it on shelves.

Stagg JR is one of my favorites right now. It beat out ECBP for me and pretty much anything else I have.

If you see anymore , pick it up we can arrange trades/cash
07fta07
AG
Batch 12 and Batch 9 are absolute standouts for Stagg Jr. The rest of them are very good and it's a "buy" all day at anywhere near MSRP and even a bit over. Early talk on Batch 15 is that it will challenge for the best one yet. Hopefully we see that in Texas in the next couple months.

The thing with Stagg Jr is it's available right when it drops in the area (twice a year) but you have to jump on it because it doesn't last long and it's not something you see hanging around on a shelf between batch drops.
Bunk Moreland
Oh I know. But even other bottles like Bookers usually make it to the shelf in some sort of quantity when they drop their batches. And given that it's not like I'll make a habit of spending that for this bottle but when you've never even seen the damn thing in 5 years, that cost is absolutely worth it imo to finally get a bottle.

Wish I lived in an area with more stores or it was more widely available but that's the way it goes.
07fta07
AG
Agreed. I wish it was much more available. It's one of my absolute favorites. And $125 isn't a great price but it's far from getting totally screwed. I woulda picked it up in your situation too. Enjoy!
Sazerac
AG
Hey, I paid $150 last year to get my first bottle, so you're not the biggest idiot on this thread.

But I also traded an $80 bottle of EHT Rye for one, so I'm averaging out ok.
62strat
AG
Sazerac said:

now I'd pay $45 for sure. Even if I didn't care for it, $30-$50 is my range for trying unknowns.

lazuras_dc
AG
Don't worry I paid 150 for my first bottle too. Worth it.
CTGilley
AG
I paid $55 for a Batch 13 a couple months ago. I would have paid 150. I have had several people blind it vs ECBP 520 and 920. It has crushed ECB every time. I would pay $100 for another.

I got lucky. I was buying a store pick and told the guy I was really hoping to find Stagg JR at some point and he "found" one in the back.
MarathonAg12
Wooo, Eagle Rare at TL for $39.99. First time I've seen it on the shelves here in Killeen.

That MSRP feeling.
Gunner33
Scored a Woodford Reserve Very Rare Fine Bourbon at TL in CS today! Been looking for that one for a while.
Ornithopter
AG
Are you guys drinking Stagg Jr. Doing so neat or with water/ice?

I found it way too hot neat.
AGBrewer512
DubFalls said:

Are you guys drinking Stagg Jr. Doing so neat or with water/ice?

I found it way too hot neat.

Just like all my bourbons, I've only ever had it neat. Some folks like to mix or add ice/water. But I like the way it tastes just straight up.

I will admit that Barrel Proof bourbons are something that you have to be ready for. Typically not the first dram of the night for most folks.
Sazerac
AG
I drink everything good neat.
But To each their own and all...
First Page Last Page
Page 589 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.