Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,831,526 Views | 38338 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by Tksymm7
Goodest Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sazerac said:

jftx is over on the other thread trying to fleece Aggies on $200 Alberta Premium so I'm pretty confused about his stance here
Wow...you must not read well. Literally just told someone that they would be giving up to much on an AP trade.

I dont "FLEECE" anyone.

If you have a problem- lets talk.

I dont have any problem offering something for what Im willing to pay. Some people dont have all day to drive around looking for stuff. If I can order cases of allocated stuff then I do...weekly. Some of us value time over a few bucks. And for the wedding that just 2 cases of APCS from me- they were pretty pumped since no one else could deliver.

proc
AG
Break it up.

I bought a bottle of Woodinville this week. Those Washingtonians have a really nice bourbon going up there.
trouble
AG
proc said:

Break it up.

I bought a bottle of Woodinville this week. Those Washingtonians have a really nice bourbon going up there.

You aren't the boss of me.

/runs
proc
AG
Yeah, nurses aren't scared of anything. I've got nothing.
aggiecouch
Setting aside the drama for the moment, I really enjoy the Alberta Premium. If it is common in Houston, and you enjoy high proof whiskey, recommend you give it a shot.
CharlieBrown17
AG
proc said:

Break it up.

Avoid the port finish. I did a tasting there on the way to hike north east of Seattle. The regular stuff was decent enough but man the port finish was cloyingly sweet
CloudRusty
This is getting spicy
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wait a minute.

So if I'm following right, you jumped through the hoops to get registered with TABC so you can order allocated whiskey that you then flipped at 3x MSRP to someone for their wedding??

And social media groups getting excited about Eagle Rare is what's wrong with bourbon?
Sazerac
AG
you're *****ing about the secondary free market (where the price gets set by supply and demand under easy free trade), yet you are trying to sell whiskey at above this free market price and don't realize that you are part of this same secondary market

Rest of world: broad reaching social media, price reaches equilibrium based on supply/demand, usually have to deal with shipping
jftx04 world: specific social media (texags) and word of mouth, price is set by "what jftx would pay", don't have to deal with shipping if you live near jftx

LawHall88
AG
proc said:

Break it up.

Got two bottles of Woodinville from a barrel pick in a group I'm in. 122 proof. Really nice.
CTGilley
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

Avoid the port finish. I did a tasting there on the way to hike north east of Seattle. The regular stuff was decent enough but man the port finish was cloyingly sweet

I am surprised to hear you say that. I have a bottle here and think it is great for finished whiskey. Has enough oak to balance out the sweet IMO.
proc
AG
LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

Got two bottles of Woodinville from a barrel pick in a group I'm in. 122 proof. Really nice.
DFWWC?
LawHall88
AG
proc said:

LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

DFWWC?
Barrel Outlaws (San Antonio).
proc
AG
LawHall88 said:

proc said:

LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

DFWWC?
Interesting. We did the exact same barrel pick up here last weekend. One was kind of apple, one was kind of candy. I passed on that drop because the drop was a 90 minute drive.
LawHall88
AG
proc said:

LawHall88 said:

proc said:

LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

DFWWC?
Interesting. We did the exact same barrel pick up here last weekend. One was kind of apple, one was kind of candy. I passed on that drop because the drop was a 90 minute drive.
The first one that I opened was a little sweeter than I expected, but it's good. I haven't opened the second one yet. The typical drop location is 15 minutes from my house.
CactusThomas
AG
LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

Does your group have any for sale?
LawHall88
AG
CactusThomas said:

LawHall88 said:

proc said:

Break it up.

Does your group have any for sale?
My understanding is that Woodinville sold out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
EDIT: MISREAD
Wheatables02
AG
[
austinag1997
AG
Are the flippers and drinkers arguing here? I just want to know who is on my side when a fight breaks out.
John Francis Donaghy
austinag1997 said:

Are the flippers and drinkers arguing here? I just want to know who is on my side when a fight breaks out.

Well the flippers will fight dirty, but the drinkers will have that drunk strength working for them. Could go either way.
MarathonAg12
I'll chime in with my two cents.

I personally love "the hunt" of looking for the bottles that fly off the shelves. Nothing liking going into a liquor store and seeing a random bottle of Henry McKenna 10 behind the counter for $36. Or after two months, walking into a Specs and seeing a full shelf of Weller. I like the right place, right time sensation and walking out of the store with a good bottle of bourbon a MSRP. Sure I can throw a bunch of money at someone, but that's just too easy IMO.

Bourbon is meant for drinking.
RenoAg
At the risk of derailing this thread I'd like to offer my report on the High West Bourye I cracked open tonight. Deliciousness in a bottle. Full of flavors. Overall I'd describe it as spicy spicy like a juiced up four roses barrel strength oesk. Except this is lower proof than that. Spice obviously from the rye. With some sweetness notes in it from the bourbon, similar to what I'd say wheated buffalo trace products usually have. Most of the OGs in here are much better at describing the notes. Not saying this is super special stuff. But I do think it is unique and absolutely worth the purchase if you see a bottle. I haven't been much into hunting in a few years. Haven't seen one in Htown in my limited liquor store runs. Maybe they're easier to find than I think? I got mine in Tennessee in October last year.
CactusThomas
AG
First off, thanks for the review. Your post is anything but derailing.

RenoAg said:

Most of the OGs in here are much better at describing the notes.

Probably not. Anyone can list the notes they pick up. Im not sure if you necessarily get better at it over time. Go read 3 or 4 professional reviews on this whiskey. You will likely find very different notes if not conflicting opinions.

I'll look to give this one a try.
CTGilley
AG
CTGilley said:

TL pick.

I should have traded it. Only neck pour but pretty medicinal. I was so excited.
Wheatables02
AG
CTGilley said:

CTGilley said:

TL pick.

I'll buy it at cost or trade. In DFW. Dibs
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

CTGilley said:

TL pick.
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/a3/29/a3293d09f82a6b6cd88d92baeb40dd3960121527_3567211_u158594.jpg

I would say give it another chance. Sometime bottles just need a bit of time to open up. I've found that if I can get past the shoulder, most of the stuff I buy is pretty good.

Of course, that's just my 2 cents...that plus $10 can probably get you a small coffee at Starbucks these days.

MarathonAg12

Who has this fancy bottle in their collection. It's molded after a pot still so that's cool. After reading some reviews and watching a couple video reviews I wasn't to impressed. But I guess I can't knock it till I try it. It's right under $50 at TL.

Is it worth it? Or just an attention getter.
Sazerac
AG
I don't enjoy at all.
HouseDivided06
AG
Not worth it. Plus takes up too much room and too tall for many shelves.
FTAco07
AG
Trash bourbon in an unwieldy bottle
CactusThomas
AG
The 1.75's have a genie in them if you drink it all.
trouble
AG
Nope. Don't like it.
aggielostinETX
AG
Sux but it's crap
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
62strat
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Not worth it. Plus takes up too much room and too tall for many shelves.
I don't know if I agree with that. One of the shorter ones in my cabinet, maybe the 4th or 5th shortest. Plenty of common taller bottles, ER, EHT, etc.

I think I paid $45-$50. Not a bad price point IMO.

First Page Last Page
Page 588 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.