Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,539 Views | 38379 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Tksymm7
LPHA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It comes in handles?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
no
LPHA
AG
I didn't think so
MarathonAg12
LPHA said:

It comes in handles?

My apologies. 750ml
MarathonAg12
Also for those that were interested in my post about the basket drawing at my TW store for $395, here is the contest verbatim. Disregard that I mentioned $395, I don't know where I got that from.

"On Feb 5th the store will be conducting a drawing to buy 1 of 4 copacks each of EH Taylor Small Batch, EH Taylor Single Barrel, EH Taylor Rye and Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel. The drawing will be round robin with winners being informed by text what they won....additionally there will be a second drawing to buy a basket of all 4 bottles. single bottle winners can win the basket as well. One limit entry per drawing."

CTGilley
AG
That is almost secondary pricing.
CTGilley
AG
Picked this up today for $55. I figured it was worth a try.
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

That is almost secondary pricing.
That's why i said disregard the $395 price I stated originally.

But if you are saying $36.99 is almost secondary pricing for mckenna 10 year?

Check your numbers again.
MarathonAg12
Booker's Bourbon.

I see this fancy looking bottle in a fancy wooden box that seems to be in everyone's collection in a couple fb groups I'm in. My store has a never ending supply of these bottles sitting on the shelves.

Is it all just marketing so people buy a $80 bottle of bourbon? Or is it worth the grab.
HouseDivided06
AG
Bookers is great if you like high proof bourbon. And if you have a place that has never ending supply for $80/bottle, then take advantage and grab some for sure. I personally haven't seen it on the shelves much at all lately whereas 3-4 years ago it was always there.
Buck Compton
AG
Booker's is a solid high proof bourbon. Very good high proof bourbon even. It used to be a steal at ~$50, but they raised the price a few years ago.

I'll typically keep a bottle on hand but I don't go through it like I used to.
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/d2/06/d2065ca51111c83a432159a7f720d96930b9b82f_3152170_u158594.jpg
Man, I've been looking for that one for almost 2 years. Heard that they were pretty good. Let us know what you think about it.
proc
AG
Booker's is a hot bourbon for sure, but it is one of my favorites. I try to buy every one.
AGBrewer512
MarathonAg12 said:

Booker's Bourbon.

I see this fancy looking bottle in a fancy wooden box that seems to be in everyone's collection in a couple fb groups I'm in. My store has a never ending supply of these bottles sitting on the shelves.

Is it all just marketing so people buy a $80 bottle of bourbon? Or is it worth the grab.
Just like @Buck said, at $50 a steal, but not so much of a steal at $80. In my area it is $90. It's a very good bourbon and I love the peanut, toffee, butterscotch, & salted caramel flavors it gives. Not to mention the oily mouth feel. If you have never got one, I would say try it. I've had two of the batches from last year (Granny Batch & Pig Skin). Found that I preferred the Granny Batch 2020-01 the best due to the flavors mentioned above. The Pig Skin was more brown sugar and caramel with a faint hint of the peanut and just overall sweet. Just not as good as Granny Batch but still tasty. Maybe even try a shot at a bar before you invest $90 in a bottle.

The niche in the market that Bookers has is that it is not only Barrel Proof, but it is also Unfiltered along with small batched for quality control. Folks say that when you filter the bourbon (specifically chill filter), you loose some of the flavors that were developed in the distilling and aging process.

There are quite a few BP on the market, but most of them are heavily filtered compared to Bookers. Only Barrel Proofs that I can think of right now that are also unfiltered are Stagg Jr, Stagg Sr., Garrison Brothers Cowboy, Smoke Wagon, and EH Taylor. Not a whole lot to choose from and all of those are hard to find. I'm sure there are others, just can't think of any...haven't finished my coffee yet.

Having said all that, there are other Barrel Proof bourbons out there at a lower price with a similar if not better experience in no particular order below. Keep in mind that these are filtered more than Bookers.

• Jack Daniels Single Barrel BP (I know it's jack, but it's really good stuff and around $65)
  • Four Roses Single Barrel BP (Hard to find)
  • Old Foresters Single Barrel BP (Easily had at any TL in Central Texas for around $45)
  • Ezra Brooks 7 yr. BP
  • Elijah Craig BP (hard to find though)
  • Rare Breed BP
  • Noah Mills (not technically BP, but pretty close at 114 proof and tasty)
  • 1792 Full Proof (not technically a BP either, but much cheaper and pretty good)

Sorry for the long post, but I love Uncut & Unfiltered bourbons. Shameless Proof Hound here!
SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 Year, Bottled in Bond.

Interestingly enough, it was gift wrapped with $4 wine, $41 for them both.

Henry McKenna BiB >>> Eagle Rare. Change my mind.
Sazerac
AG
You sure on the OF BP? Never seen one in Houston. Saw there was a store pick release in December/Jan That went fast. Think it was $75ish ?

Wish there were more BP options consistently on the shelf. EC BP is one of my fave pours. I've never purchased from a store, luckily others have found it and shared.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Lots of MGP stuff pops up at BP and unfiltered. The latest tater bottle being Prideful goat.
07fta07
AG
I've never seen an OF BS that's not a pick. Not sure they exist. Picks run about $85 from what I've seen. OF did have a SiB that was 90 proof and I think they've now changed their SiB offerings to 100 and BS. I got a 100 proof pick at TW recently for like $53 and it's very good.
CharlieBrown17
AG
They don't exist. That was added to the product line as a pick only
CharlieBrown17
AG
Larceny barrel proof is worth buying not chasing.

ECBP is way better. Makers cask strength is as good as the larceny and sits on shelves unless that's changed recently.
AGBrewer512
Sazerac said:

You sure on the OF BP? Never seen one in Houston. Saw there was a store pick release in December/Jan That went fast. Think it was $75ish ?

Wish there were more BP options consistently on the shelf. EC BP is one of my fave pours. I've never purchased from a store, luckily others have found it and shared.
I've found 3 different liquor stores in Central Texas that have them. All under $50. Keep in mind that they are all store picks for TL. Seen them at Spec's for around $80 for their SP. Have both the Specs and the TL. Prefer the TL pick as it was a bit more spice, fruit, and flavor in general. The Specs was turned down a notch compared to the TL.

They were still there a couple days ago if you can make it to Austin, just got to ask them to pull it from the back room.
Sazerac
AG
Can you post a pic of your bottle?
CharlieBrown17
AG
If it was an OF barrel strength pick that was delivered to the wrong stores, which happens time to time, being priced at 50 makes sense to me. They probably just priced like it the single barrel and didn't realize any different. MSRP for the barrel proof pick is around 75-80 depending on which article you read and believe.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
That's correct. We just had a barrel bottled a couple weeks ago and that's what they're costing.
Sazerac
AG
Specs has a Dickel store pick out for those of you with terrible taste
CTGilley
AG
I was talking about the basket. I love McKenna. I normally pay about $40 before tax when I can find it. I think it is funny that I normally see HH BiB for $5 more. Same juice but batched and 3 years younger. I will say MK can be a hit or miss single barrel. The one I have open now is not very impressive.
AGBrewer512
Sazerac said:

Can you post a pic of your bottle?
Site won't let me, says i need to purchase something...guess i should get on that.

I thought the same thing about the price and the guy at the store called headquarters and confirmed that the price was correct. But hey, better for us.

Anyways, here is the info on each bottle. Seems odd that they are both the same ABV, but if they have climate controlled warehouses, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

SPEC's SP:
WHSE I
Floor 1
ALC/VOL 63.90>=%
ABV 127.8

Twin Liquor SP:
WHSE K
Floor 5
ALC/VOL 63.90>=%
ABV 127.8

CTGilley
AG
TL pick.
Sazerac
AG
I would love to find a few of those. They definitely mis priced them though!
proc
AG
CTGilley said:

TL pick.

Want.
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

I was talking about the basket. I love McKenna. I normally pay about $40 before tax when I can find it. I think it is funny that I normally see HH BiB for $5 more. Same juice but batched and 3 years younger. I will say MK can be a hit or miss single barrel. The one I have open now is not very impressive.

I hope I'm not disappointed after dry February.
AGBrewer512
CTGilley said:

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/d2/06/d2065ca51111c83a432159a7f720d96930b9b82f_3152170_u158594.jpg

Tell me you found that in Central Texas!
CTGilley
AG
Right down the road from where you got the OF pick. Blackhawk had 2 at 65 this morning.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm pretty sure I saw that in Waco Twin Liquors last week.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 584 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.