Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,554 Views | 38379 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by Tksymm7
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FriedTex said:

Just got a store pick of this one 10 minutes ago
That's awesome. I don't have any store picks in my inventory. I think once I establish my base of bourbon, ill start picking up some store picks, Does it just make the bottle itself "rare"?
62strat
AG
Bottle of VW12 in my local store right up for grabs.. hidden somewhere.

Dammit if I didn't spend 25 minutes in there.. but no such luck.

They posted yesterday, so it's been a whole day and no one has found it. I got my neighbor to go try his luck.
Ornithopter
AG
62strat said:

They posted yesterday, so it's been a whole day and no one has found it. I got my neighbor to go try his luck.

Check the women's restroom, it's probably in there.

But that's actually a genius way to drive traffic.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Hidden behind the counter.

"1 Van Winkle 12 year please."
aTm '99
John Francis Donaghy
62strat said:

I give it 48 hours before some jackass crawls into an air vent, gets stuck in a refrigerator, or pulls some ceiling tiles down on themselves/causes some other damage to the store.
62strat
AG
DubFalls said:

62strat said:

Check the women's restroom, it's probably in there.

But that's actually a genius way to drive traffic.
I did see one chick who was on the search. otherwise, a bunch of dudes. I think I counted maybe 7-8 for 20 minutes I was in there... at 10am on a Friday.

There was a bottle of wine called 'poppy' I thought about making a joke to someone lol. Wait for employee to walk by when there happens to be searchers nearby as well, and ask really loudly, would you recommend this poppy? I've heard about it, is it any good?

The store actually posted on FB 'the bottle of pappy still hasn't been found'.

CharlieBrown17
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

FriedTex said:

That's awesome. I don't have any store picks in my inventory. I think once I establish my base of bourbon, ill start picking up some store picks, Does it just make the bottle itself "rare"?

Some stores are known for having really excellent people that do their picking and have above average barrels fairly often.

It's also a chance to get something different, for a while the KC store picks were up to 15 years old but that's gone away for the most part.
FriedTex
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

FriedTex said:

Yes, It's "rare" bc it's the only one that will ever exist. Just in case you don't know what store picks are, they are when a liquor store or group goes up to the distillery and sample 4-5 barrels of one bourbon and then "picks" one and get all of the bottle from that particular barrel.

I try to only buy store picks now (outside of my daily drinker) as it brings a 10-30% upgrade to the normal offerings. I've had some single barrel Russel Reserve's that are unbelievable
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll hedge the above post and say that some picks are done by going to the distillery and trying multiple barrels.

Other stores just get sent two or three 200ML bottles mailed to them from different barrels to pick from
Ducks4brkfast
AG
And yet others just get a barrel "picked" by the master distiller.
FriedTex
AG
Well there is your full accounting of the store pick process
T-Woody2014
AG
Haha yeah bought it for fun because of the price tag. Fortunate have some EHT SB already stored away for more serious drinking. Will try this one with ginger ale if it sucks over ice
MW03
AG
I think the differences come the variables associated with the composition of an individual barrel as well as how different barrels are stored. One barrel might have more slightly more char. Another might be slightly more absorbent. Another might be stored closer to air circulation. Etc. Etc.

Anyway, those all produce different notes in the same fluid, even if only subtly so.

So if you take all of those barrels and you pour them all into the same vat, the nuanced differences from the barrels' individual variables get muted. I'm making this next part up for the sake of illustration.

Say you have 3 full barrels, each comprised of 10 parts of fluid.
  • Barrel A has 4 parts "oakiness", 1 part "sweetness", and 5 parts generic.
  • Barrel B has 2 parts oak, 3 parts sweetness, and 5 parts generic.
  • Barrel B has 2 parts oak, 1 parts sweetness, and 7 parts generic.

Now you combine all 3. From all 30 parts, you're going to have 8 parts oak, 5 parts sweet, and 17 parts generic. That's 27% oak, 17% sweet, and 56% generic. That might be an exceptional mix. Regardless, it'll taste different from Barrel A, which by itself was 40% oak, or Barrel B, which was 30% sweet.

So you can go and taste Barrels A, B, and C, and whichever you like best, maybe it becomes your "barrel pick", and you get the bottles, through a sticker on there, and people snap it up because it's notably oakier or sweeter or whatever compared to the standard bottle.

Sometimes, a particular batch or barrel will develop a reputation, and then people will hunt it out since that information sometimes shows up on the sticker. "Oh, the batch that was on floor 12, section J of the warehouse is EXCEPTIONAL" or whatever and then the price goes haywire.

Ornithopter
AG
I entered the Knob Creek 9 Year Single Barrel Reserve game today. Not a store pick though.
proc
AG
DubFalls said:

I entered the Knob Creek 9 Year Single Barrel Reserve game today. Not a store pick though.

Good stuff!
MJ20/20
AG
Wife and I did a blind tasting of 11 different Russell Reserve store picks from around the state. Oak liquor cabinet was unanimous #1 in nose, pallet, finish, and ice. Top three were all warehouse "A". Kinda interesting.
CTGilley
AG
Ha that is what I am drinking tonight.
Ornithopter
AG
proc said:

DubFalls said:

Good stuff!

I had to put a few drops of water into it to bring down the heat and open it up, but dang is it good once you do that. Definite like on that one. Amazing bourbon.
Ornithopter
AG
So, the owner at my liquor store has offered me a bottle of either Blanton's or EHT SiB.

Any thoughts on which one to get?
jh0400
AG
I prefer EHT SiB.
TamuKid
AG
EHT SiB is the better bourbon (by a lot, IMO).

Blanton's is the cooler bottle / fun if you're collecting the toppers.
CloudRusty
EHT sib gets my vote too
TheCellarDoor
AG
Eht sib by far!
Wheatables02
AG
EHT SB
Sazerac
AG
I prefer Blantons.

Still think EHT SmB is better than the more expensive SiB. Sipping some now.
MarathonAg12
Just picked up a bottle of WT Rare Breed Rye.

I've been putting off buying a bottle of Rare Breed, but this is the the first time in Texas that I've seen the Rye version. I believe it hit shelves last year.

CloudRusty
You won't be disappointed!
Sazerac
AG
Just did the taste test. Stand by my preference ranking

1. SmB
2. Blantons
3. SiB
SnyderAg02
Great pickup. It does not disappoint.
Ornlu
AG
Have you have the WT Masters Keep Revival?
MW03
AG
can't find rare breed rye anymore around me. great bottle though.
MarathonAg12
Ornlu said:

Have you have the WT Masters Keep Revival?

I have not. I did a deep dive on WT products and revival looks amazing.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sunday deliveries are the best

Sazerac
AG
Never even heard of those varieties.

Where did you purchase?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Single barrel is discontinued to my knowledge.

Black Belle is aged in stout barrels and a distillery only release. These came from a raffle group.

Edit if I remember right when I visited the distillery a while back they did have single barrel in the gift shop.
First Page Last Page
Page 577 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.