Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,749,686 Views | 37543 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Tylerjo97
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gunner33 said:

I would buy it @ $170 every chance I could.

Getting more tempted. Just read where Gold was only in the UK for the longest time.
GoAgs92
AG
Had to
austinag1997
AG
proc said:

EC 12 was a bourbon I started with 6 or 7 years ago, for about $35. It still annoys me that it's gone.

EC is still my daily drinker. I have consumed 10 ECBP (B520). Down to the last 1/2 bottle.
austinag1997
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

HTownAg98 said:

I found this to be an interesting read. I'm sure it will rustle some people's jimmies, and you should certainly drink what you like.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stop-wasting-your-money-on-bourbon-thats-too-old

It shouldn't rustly jimmies, but you're probably right that it will. Bourbon doesn't need to be very old to be good. The reality is a great 20 year old bourbon is one that tastes like a 12 year old bourbon. A bad 20 year old bourbon tastes like a burnt stick. The only reason to even try to make a 20 year old bourbon taste like a 12 year old bourbon in the first place is to sell it at a higher price with a fancier label even though it tastes like something younger and cheaper.

Personally, the sweet spot for my taste buds is 6-10 years. Anything past that I stop seeing much additional benefit to the extra age.

I have some Willett Family Estate Bourbon ranging in the 12 - 13 year range. It remains some of my favorite whiskey. I have a couple of 25 yr bottles that is a wee bit too old in the barrel, but is still really good.
HouseDivided06
AG
I will say my favorite bottle I have ever owned was a SFTB that we did a group buy on probably 3-4 years ago here. Was $150 after shipping when Masters of Malt stilled shipped here. Was my Christmas gift to myself. So damn good. $170 for gold isn't a bad price. Not cheap, but it's tempting.
proc
AG
DubFalls said:

A lot of the Barrell Bourbon releases are pricey but supposed to taste fantastic.

Batch 20, 25, and Dovetail were all fantastic. I avoided them for awhile because having so many batches seemed gimicky. But I decided on batch 20 and have been a fan since. And you can actually find them.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Tell your contact:

Let me know.
Jim01
AG
My parents have drank bourbon since I was born. I never started drinking until 4-5 years ago maybe. Since then we've made a tradition each birthday/Christmas of getting each other's a decent ($30) bottle we haven't tried before. Had a bottle of Bulliet as a daily drinker but I've never kept more than a bottle or two in my cabinet though. Never built a collection.

For Christmas my dad gave my sister and I some cash from an IRA my aunt left him that he had to take a mandatory amount out of. His only instruction was to splurge. Don't spend it on family and don't spend on something you need. Just blow it on something fun.

So this week I stocked up on 5 bottles to start.

L to R
- Buffalo Trace
- Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
- Blanton's
- Weller Special Reserve
- 1792 Single Barrel Specs Store Pick
Daytona22
AG
I'd buy it for the $170. Decent deal.
cozart
AG
is it someone you personally know? there's been scammy sellers on Facebook offering Blanton's Gold shipped at that price.
Sazerac
AG
You happened to find a blantons on a shelf??
Jim01
AG
No. Dumb luck. Joined a FB group and asked people for good stores in my area. An hour later got DMed by a guy telling me he lived in the same town, just one neighborhood over, had bought two bottles, but opened one and didn't love it so I was welcome to the other at.cost!

Just dumb luck.
Post removed:
by user
MarathonAg12
cozart said:

is it someone you personally know? there's been scammy sellers on Facebook offering Blanton's Gold shipped at that price.

It was via Instagram and something didn't seem right. His grammar was a red flag, the price was a red flag and it just didn't seem right. Probably saved my self $170.

I don't NEED it anyways. Almost got had.
Post removed:
by user
SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

cozart said:

It was via Instagram and something didn't seem right. His grammar was a red flag, the price was a red flag and it just didn't seem right. Probably saved my self $170.

Never buy whiskey from random IG or social media peeps!!! Shady AF just about every time.
MarathonAg12
SpiderDude said:

MarathonAg12 said:

cozart said:

Never buy whiskey from random IG or social media peeps!!! Shady AF just about every time.

Yeah I'm pretty embarrassed. Got to get these lessons out of the way early.
Jim01
AG
It was still sealed, and he was an Aggie with two Aggie kids. I trust him
MW03
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

cozart said:

If you're on facebook, check out the "BRM People's Court". Pretty much exists to out scammers.
MarathonAg12
Benchmark 8, a $10.99 Buffalo Trace product at 750ml

I just picked it up. Might as well give it a shot.

Maybe mix some drinks with it.
the dude10
AG
My go to mixer. Cheap, does the job, tastes great with a Coke Zero.
Bunk Moreland
yeah Benchmark rotates with EW green as my mixing bourbons.
MW03
AG
Found a stash of KC120 Single Barrel Reserve and bought 2. This might be my favorite bourbon at the $50 price point.
CTGilley
AG
The 9 year or the picks? I am seeing the 9 year 120 in every major store right now but no picks. I grabbed a KC 12 last week.
Sazerac
AG
I've only got the single barrel select 120 picks. Some are 9 and some are quite a bit older. At $50 I think they are the best bang for the buck (I thought they were a bit more than that though).

If I see them I buy them at this point
Wheatables02
AG
Sazerac said:

I've only got the single barrel select 120 picks. Some are 9 and some are quite a bit older. At $50 I think they are the best bang for the buck (I thought they were a bit more than that though).

If I see them I buy them at this point
They were $39.99 a few years back and most were between 10-15 years old.
proc
AG
CTGilley said:

The 9 year or the picks? I am seeing the 9 year 120 in every major store right now but no picks. I grabbed a KC 12 last week.

Why not both? They are amazing.
CTGilley
AG
I have a couple picks now. 11 and 13. No reason to pick up a non store pick 120 9yr for the same price as a 12.
MW03
AG
9 yr picks. Badge says Swexan Reserve. Not sure how "special" it is, but it's delicious at $52. Big fan.
T-Woody2014
AG
Picked this up today after seeing the label/connection with OFC distillery. Couldn't find anything online about it other than it used to be made by Beam but was sold to BT. Appears the bottle was collecting dust at $20/handle. Does anyone know anything about it? Looking forward to giving it a try
Sazerac
AG
The rare EHT OT!
You are going to want to proof that up with some everclear.

And stop buying scratch offs...just go for the big lotto payoffs
MarathonAg12
MW03 said:

Found a stash of KC120 Single Barrel Reserve and bought 2. This might be my favorite bourbon at the $50 price point.
So I picked up the last bottle of KC Single Barrel Reserve (9 years) 120 Proof for $46.

But when I look up the bottle there are a few different variations and I am a little confused. It looks like there are ones with the old labels as well.

MW03
AG
Yeah, the ones I got had the old labels that were much busier. I think KC redesigned all their labels at some point in the last couple of years to look more modern and fancier.
MarathonAg12
MW03 said:

Yeah, the ones I got had the old labels that were much busier. I think KC redesigned all their labels at some point in the last couple of years to look more modern and fancier.

This is the one I got. Hasn't been restocked in a couple weeks.
FriedTex
AG
Just got a store pick of this one 10 minutes ago
First Page Last Page
Page 576 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.