Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,856,009 Views | 38571 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Restricted to base because covid

I just spent a year in Egypt. I was restricted to camp for the majority of it though because of Covid-19. I was a liaison and worked with the Egyptian Army daily so I was able to go off base whenever. The alcohol selection was trash in Egypt though.

I was there in 2015. Was great before the IED's and COVID.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Haven't been on the ground there, looks neat from above

K_P
AG
proc said:

K_P said:

Just tried the knob creek 9 since barrel reserve 120 proof. It's really amazing. I had a chance to buy the 15yr but it was like $120 so I passed. Has anyone had the 12 or 15yr?

The 12 and the 15 are both very good. The problem is that the 12 is almost as good at half the price.

My parents live up in Camp county. I found a nice store up there which had 15 yr, 12 yr, and a single barrel 9yr knob creek. The 12 and 15 were 100 proof and not labeled single barrel. So I went with the 9yr 120 proof single barrel which happened to be the cheapest.

Are there single barrels /higher proof of the 12 yr or 15yr? The 9yr single barrel was like half the cost of the 12yr non single barrel.
proc
AG
The 9 single barrel is good, and a great value

The 12 and 15 are not single barrel, and are the traditional 100 proof. That 12 in particular is becoming hard to find.
MarathonAg12
Naveronski said:

MarathonAg12 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Restricted to base because covid

I just spent a year in Egypt. I was restricted to camp for the majority of it though because of Covid-19. I was a liaison and worked with the Egyptian Army daily so I was able to go off base whenever. The alcohol selection was trash in Egypt though.

I was there in 2015. Was great before the IED's and COVID.

So you saw the transition from North to south?
HTownAg98
I found this to be an interesting read. I'm sure it will rustle some people's jimmies, and you should certainly drink what you like.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stop-wasting-your-money-on-bourbon-thats-too-old
mazag08
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I found this to be an interesting read. I'm sure it will rustle some people's jimmies, and you should certainly drink what you like.
Fantastic article.

And the proof is in the pudding. Very few whiskies are decent at an old age, Elijah Craig 18, Eagle Rare 17, and a couple 15 year olds come to mind as exceptions. And a lot of the ones that are are usually either blends or they are aged in a second cask toward the end (Wild Turkey Master's Keep).

Look at Booker's.. usually around 6 years. TONS of flavor.

Knob Creek 9.. like a mini Bookers in flavor.. can't imagine it being more balanced.

Elijah Craig 12 was nearly perfect before demand pushed it down in age to what we have now.. the small batch.. which is still very solid.
FTAco07
AG
I believe that to generally be true but with exceptions. For example, I have had all of the Pappy line and the 15 year is definitely my favorite, but the 20 and 23 are both very good as well. I actually don't think the 10 year RVW is very special and the 12 year is good, but I would call it 4th out of the lineup.

On the other hand, I have a bottle of the Heaven Hill 27 year referenced in the article you linked and haven't opened it yet. Based on what I've read about it the bourbon is over oaked and it probably serves better as a collection showpiece than a drinker.

In general, I tend to agree that 8-12 years is the sweat spot, but there are exceptions with good and bad juice that is both older and younger.
mazag08
AG
True, and it could be where it was stored in the warehouse, or maybe the years had some mild seasons,
John Francis Donaghy
HTownAg98 said:

It shouldn't rustly jimmies, but you're probably right that it will. Bourbon doesn't need to be very old to be good. The reality is a great 20 year old bourbon is one that tastes like a 12 year old bourbon. A bad 20 year old bourbon tastes like a burnt stick. The only reason to even try to make a 20 year old bourbon taste like a 12 year old bourbon in the first place is to sell it at a higher price with a fancier label even though it tastes like something younger and cheaper.

Personally, the sweet spot for my taste buds is 6-10 years. Anything past that I stop seeing much additional benefit to the extra age.
proc
AG
EC 12 was a bourbon I started with 6 or 7 years ago, for about $35. It still annoys me that it's gone.
HTownAg98
I feel the same way with Weller 12.
MW03
AG
I feel the same way about Eagle Rare.
MarathonAg12
rare perfection 15

$150 at my store

Never heard of it. Anyone ever try this stuff?
HouseDivided06
AG
I have seen it once or twice but never considered it. Just looked it up on Breaking Bourbon, and he tasted it in a flight along side Old Fitzgerald and one of the Barrell bourbons. Rare Perfection got the highest score of those 3, and he also had it listed on his favorite bourbons of 2019 list. Pricey but if you want to drop $150 on a bottle, that sounds like a decent one to do it on.
MarathonAg12
HouseDivided06 said:

I have seen it once or twice but never considered it. Just looked it up on Breaking Bourbon, and he tasted it in a flight along side Old Fitzgerald and one of the Barrell bourbons. Rare Perfection got the highest score of those 3, and he also had it listed on his favorite bourbons of 2019 list. Pricey but if you want to drop $150 on a bottle, that sounds like a decent one to do it on.

Thanks for the info. Right next to it is the Rare Perfection 14 at $115
mazag08
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

This is an example of a good post.

Be more like this guy.
MarathonAg12
Had a gift card to use, went to my local specs to take a browse. I really enjoyed Angels Envy, just an amazing syrupy palette and very smooth finish. Did a little research on other bourbons finished in port wine barrels and came across Isaac Bowman Bourbon Whiskey Port Barrel Finished, a Buffalo Trace product.

Sure enough, they had it at Specs in the old glass cabinet. I couldn't turn down at the price of $37. I look forward to trying it out.
AugustusGloop
AG
I haven't had their port finish but John j bowman is an excellent bourbon for the price
stroodles
AG
I picked up an Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Batch 13 today - bottled in 2015 (its wine barrel finished). I had never seen one before so I figured it was worth it on a whim. I got the 375 - I probably would have passed if it was a 750.

Hope to open it soon and see if my whim was worth the money.
Ornlu
AG
I just got a huge raise at work, and would like to buy a $200-$250 bottle of bourbon to celebrate. My two favorite things I've ever had were Angels Envy Rye and Woodford Double Oaked. I don't really have that great of a palate, or that much experience, so I don't know if I'll be able to appreciate the next tier up. But it's really just about celebrating so....

What would ya'll recommend?
mazag08
AG
Ornlu said:

I just got a huge raise at work, and would like to buy a $200-$250 bottle of bourbon to celebrate. My two favorite things I've ever had were Angels Envy Rye and Woodford Double Oaked. I don't really have that great of a palate, or that much experience, so I don't know if I'll be able to appreciate the next tier up. But it's really just about celebrating so....

What would ya'll recommend?

Redbreast 27
CactusThomas
AG
Masters Keep Revival or Cornerstone
mazag08
AG
Masters Keep Revival would be great and you could use the other $125 you have leftover for something else good.
the dude10
AG
If you like woodford double Oaked I think you would also really enjoy Elijah Craig 18 right in your price range.
Ornithopter
AG
I got some Early Times BiB today. I'm excited to taste what all the buzz is about!
CTGilley
AG
Those are two very different whiskeys. For bourbon you are looking at diminishing returns after ~$80. If you are looking at secondary just be cause you want something nice that is fair I guess. Few things I have had that were nice and close to $80 Jefferson's Ocean Wheated Store Pick, Jeferson's Reserve Cab finished SP.

If you want some status bourbons maybe Cream of Kentucky, Old Owl Rye, Barnstown Discover Series. All of them are good but I am not sure they are worth over $100. There is also Garrison Brothers Cowboy.
MarathonAg12
I have a contact offering me Blanton's Gold for $170 shipped.

Deal or No Deal? I have never had or have possessed any Blantons.
SpiderDude
AG
Can't beat it for the price.
FTAco07
AG
Up to you if you want to spend that much on a bottle, but that's slightly below secondary market pricing in Texas so it's a decent deal from that perspective, but it's still above the $120ish retail price (good luck finding it for that).
MarathonAg12
Thanks. I'm going to pass on the bottle this time. I'll pick it up at some point this year. I need to enjoy my stock.

You are right. I think I enjoy the act of the "hunt" for a great bottle but at a solid price. That's the reward. Today for instance, I had been looking for Eagle Rare at a few liquor chains but finally went to a hole in the wall place and met the owner there. He had a bottle of ER sitting on the shelf behind the cash register. (Some buff trace stashed away too) Anyway, I think getting them at value is the enjoyment and satisfaction for me.
cozart
AG
Bardstown Discovery Series would be a good pick up for that occasion. it's in the $125-$150 range
Gunner33
I would buy it @ $170 every chance I could.
Ornithopter
AG
A lot of the Barrell Bourbon releases are pricey but supposed to taste fantastic.
Gunner33
Some of their stuff is very good.
First Page Last Page
Page 575 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.