Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,855,967 Views | 38571 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Aggie Therapist
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CharlieBrown17 said:

Id say on average I like barrel proof bourbons more than single barrel.

A lot of single barrel offerings you can grab off the shelf aren't really any different than the batched offerings.

To me EHT single barrel isn't worth the premium but something like Knob Creek is since it's higher proof and aged longer.

That is sound logic. Thank you.
Chipotlemonger
AG
They are going to be very different and no one can answer that question for you, in my opinion.
07fta07
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Splitting hairs, but I doubt that single barrel bourbon is commercially bottled straight from the barrel with a hole out of the side or a pump out of the bung hole. Likely transferred to a bottling machine first from the barrel.

I don't really understand your question though either way.
Chiptole,

The question I had was if the Barrel Proof Bourbon is worth the extra bucks. I understand how the bottling process works for both methods. If I'm doing a blind tasting, will I favor cask right away?

Not necessarily. Some people don't like barrel strength/higher proof. It's personal preference.
MarathonAg12
MW03 said:

Anyway, if you find a "single barrel" that you like a lot, buy another from a different barrel before you finish it. Then compare the two side by side. If you just want to screw around, go buy a bottle of Evan Williams and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. Technically, it's the same whiskey in each bottle, and each is cut to 43% ABV. The only difference is that the EVSB will all have some from one barrel compared to a huge batch for the standard bottle.

Also, FWIW, I believe "small batch" means exactly that; many barrels mixed, but not as many as you'd see at a large scale operation. I think Eagle Rare used to be "single barrel" but then became "small batch" as they started churning out more of it at BT.
MW03,

Thank you for the breakdown. I am now that much smarter in the Bourbon community.

Thanks all gents.
CharlieBrown17
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Fort Hood

I ended up getting the KC Si 9 year.

I may have to get the standard 12 since y'all talked it up.

If you ever find yourself through JBLM in the next couple years, let me know. I'm on the McChord side but always happy to drink with another Ag
CactusThomas
AG
I used to buy a lot of bourbon at the class 6 on Ft Lewis. But that was a long time ago.
MarathonAg12
CharlieBrown17 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Fort Hood

I ended up getting the KC Si 9 year.

I may have to get the standard 12 since y'all talked it up.

If you ever find yourself through JBLM in the next couple years, let me know. I'm on the McChord side but always happy to drink with another Ag

Will do brother. I need to get the personal information from the guy who stocks our Class 6. He was very helpful last time I went, I need to find out when new shipments come in and mark downs are coming.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely beats the hell out of the state liquor tax. Though if you were here long enough ago I think they had state control instead of the wack tax
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely do that, a contractor up here is pretty much responsible for the class six having way better whiskey than it used it
K_P
AG
Just tried the knob creek 9 since barrel reserve 120 proof. It's really amazing. I had a chance to buy the 15yr but it was like $120 so I passed. Has anyone had the 12 or 15yr?
dmart90
AG
The KC12 is very good.
MarathonAg12
K_P said:

Just tried the knob creek 9 since barrel reserve 120 proof. It's really amazing. I had a chance to buy the 15yr but it was like $120 so I passed. Has anyone had the 12 or 15yr?

That's good to know. Not sure when I'll open that up. How did you drink it? Just picked up some Michter's SiB Straight Rye that I want to open up over the long weekend.
K_P
AG
Just neat for the first pour. You really only pickup on the high proof with the finish. Its not really a "bite" more "heat" which I like.
I might try it with one of those huge ice cubes, but I wouldn't do normal ice.
I'm not good a tasting notes, but I really enjoyed the bourbon and would recommend.
MarathonAg12
K_P said:

Just neat for the first pour. You really only pickup on the high proof with the finish. Its not really a "bite" more "heat" which I like.
I might try it with one of those huge ice cubes, but I wouldn't do normal ice.
I'm not good a tasting notes, but I really enjoyed the bourbon and would recommend.

So I tried the huge ice cube thing with angels envy last night and hated it. I tried it neat before then wanted to try it with my ice ball. I definitely prefer it neat. I love the warm and syrupy texture.
MarathonAg12
CharlieBrown17 said:

Definitely do that, a contractor up here is pretty much responsible for the class six having way better whiskey than it used it

Hey man, my class six is running $20 Gentleman Jack and $43 JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof!

I had to grab it. Always been a fan of Gentlemen and looking forward to the barrel proof.

I would check yours.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Not a Jack guy but the SiB BP is legit
SpiderDude
AG
K_P said:

KC SiB 120 is awful and bad for you. I've taken it upon myself to start an environmentally friendly program to recycle it. Don't pour it out... it will damage the water system with notes of sweet corn, candied peanut and spicy oak. DM me and I'll send you my address. I'll make sure it gets disposed of without undue harm to the local ecosystem. Here's some bottles I'm slowly working to recycle as we speak. This program is run as a non profit. I will gladly take cash donations to remove this awful product from store shelves as well... For the good of fellow bourbon consumers.
MarathonAg12
SpiderDude said:

K_P said:

KC SiB 120 is awful and bad for you. I've taken it upon myself to start an environmentally friendly program to recycle it. Don't pour it out... it will damage the water system with notes of sweet corn, candied peanut and spicy oak. DM me and I'll send you my address. I'll make sure it gets disposed of without undue harm to the local ecosystem. Here's some bottles I'm slowly working to recycle as we speak. This program is run as a non profit. I will gladly take cash donations to remove this awful product from store shelves as well... For the good of fellow bourbon consumers.

strohag
AG
Not a hard to get bottle but finishing off a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked tonight. Always a solid pour. Just glad i can head to the store and buy another.
CactusThomas
AG
I'm trying to be like Spider. Got a ways to go.

MW03
AG
Saz, bought some Vermouth tonight. What's your manhattan recipe?
Sazerac
AG
2 to 1 Rye to sweet vermouth. Few shakes of angostura. Serve up. It ain't rocket science.

Vermouth brand matters. What ya using?
MW03
AG
Sazerac said:

2 to 1 Rye to sweet vermouth. Few shakes of angostura. Serve up. It ain't rocket science.

Grabbed one sweet and one dry Rivata (plan to make vesper martinis as well).
MarathonAg12
What App do you guys use for keeping a digital inventory of your cabinet? I think it would be neat to have while hosting and just personal knowledge to be able to browse your stock via an iPad.

Purchase date, opened date and amount left.
MW03
AG
Sazerac said:

It looks right anyway.

Sazerac
AG
Upgrade from Rivata to at least Dolin and ditch THAT cherry for a Luxardo
CharlieBrown17
AG
Good snag

Overseas right now or Id grab that barrel proof
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm not sure how much more expensive it is but I really really enjoy carpano antica for sweet vermouth in cocktails.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
AggBock
AG
Be sure to look for Blantons SFTB. It is supposed to be easy to find overseas.
Sazerac
AG
It's often more than the Rye so I just sometimes splurge.

I bought a 375 mL of it for this last batch. Used 250 with 500 of the Rye for one bottling and then the remaining 125 mixed with 125 Dolin for another. Antiqua is quite spicy and Bold. Sometimes feels like it takes away from the Rye.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Restricted to base because covid
MarathonAg12
CharlieBrown17 said:

Restricted to base because covid

I just spent a year in Egypt. I was restricted to camp for the majority of it though because of Covid-19. I was a liaison and worked with the Egyptian Army daily so I was able to go off base whenever. The alcohol selection was trash in Egypt though.
proc
AG
K_P said:

The 12 and the 15 are both very good. The problem is that the 12 is almost as good at half the price.
MarathonAg12
What App do you guys use for keeping a digital inventory of your cabinet? I think it would be neat to have while hosting and just personal knowledge to be able to browse your stock via an iPad.

Going to bump this.
Wheatables02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

What App do you guys use for keeping a digital inventory of your cabinet? I think it would be neat to have while hosting and just personal knowledge to be able to browse your stock

Going to bump this.

My eyes and brain.
First Page Last Page
Page 574 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.