Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,697 Views | 37589 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by SydB92
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which post/base?
07fta07
AG
KC12 is regularly on the shelf at WB.
MarathonAg12
Fort Hood

I ended up getting the KC Si 9 year.

I may have to get the standard 12 since y'all talked it up.
Sazerac
AG
Never seen it at my Costco

Merph42
AG
Came across a High West Double Rye barrel select today in an iridescent bottle. Any significance other than barrel select? First I've seen this.
moneyag7
Those bottles are the High West Double Rye that is finished in some other sort of barrel. There's generally a vertical sticker on the side of the bottle that will tell you what type of barrel it was finished in and for how long. They'll finish them in all sorts of barrels like scotch, rum, and all different types of wine. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan and think you'll really like it, so long as you like the barrel it was finished in.
stroodles
AG
I found an old bottle of balcones rumble that was bottled in 2009 (batch R09-2 bottled on 7-24-2009). Probably hasn't seen the light of day for 10 years. It's the old bottle label. I poured a small taste this evening and remembered why it's still there after all these years. So if someone on the west side of Houston wants it - it's all yours. Otherwise it'll go down the drain this weekend.

Full disclosure- I think it's terrible, and there is some junk in the bottom. So it'll need to go through a coffee filter if you can make it to the bottom. It's probably 7/8 full.
Ornithopter
AG
Your small taste is 1/8th a bottle?

Or are you counting the air already in the bottle.
AggBock
AG
Mail Call! Most solid one in awhile. Which one should I try first?
MarathonAg12
AggBock said:

Nice man. Whatever you pick, you won't be upset.
MarathonAg12
In honor of the 4 day weekend, I swung by Specs and peeked at the glass cabinet.

I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Very Old Very Rare Custom Barrel Twin Oak for $62!

And a bottle of sazerac rye

Naveronski
AG
My TotalWine only had one bottle left of OF1920. I thought that was odd, so I bought it.

Has that stuff become hard to find?
jetch17
AG
And all the regular 4 roses single barrel is dry lately ...

went by TW Willowbrook today for grins, that place is a wreck with reorganizing and out of a ton of seemingly normal stuff
jetch17
AG
Picked up the blind pig Elijah Craig store pick that finally came in today, I'll give it a whirl this weekend
07fta07
AG
I've been in a couple TW and Spec's in the last couple weeks and they all seem to be playing catch up from the holidays. They're slowly getting stuff back on the shelf but they're definitely low on stock.
HouseDivided06
AG
All winners but the SFTB is the best bottle I have ever owned. So damn good.
stroodles
AG
I opened it when I purchased it years ago and tried it a few times hoping that it would grow on me. Nope - didn't happen.
Goodest Poster
AG
AggBock said:

SFTB...is one of my favs. In fact, kinda hate you a little and your Euro connection.

ENJOY
AggBock
AG
I caught a hot hand in the dice game this week. 3 fireball wins in a row.
Wheatables02
AG
Got an Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye "whiskey of the year" for myself and an extra. Will unload for cost or a trade...
HouseDivided06
AG
Would be interested in cost potentially. You're in DFW correct? How much was it?
MarathonAg12
jetch17 said:

And all the regular 4 roses single barrel is dry lately ...

went by TW Willowbrook today for grins, that place is a wreck with reorganizing and out of a ton of seemingly normal stuff

I picked up the last one at my Twin Liquors last Friday in the central Texas. Snagged some buff trace and Waller as well. Dwindling stock.
MW03
AG
Merph42 said:

Came across a High West Double Rye barrel select today in an iridescent bottle. Any significance other than barrel select? First I've seen this.

I absolutely love mine. Favorite bottle I've picked up in a while.
Wheatables02
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Would be interested in cost potentially. You're in DFW correct? How much was it?

Yes. $64 after tax
Avocado Toast
AG
The one I picked up in Denver was the best bottle I opened all year.
SpiderDude
AG
Had a pretty good run yesterday. Picked up Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered, Henry McKenna BiB, Rare Breed Rye and a late run to grab a ECBP C920.
MarathonAg12
Naveronski said:

My TotalWine only had one bottle left of OF1920. I thought that was odd, so I bought it.

Has that stuff become hard to find?

My Twin Liqours had all the OF varieties. Plenty of it.
MarathonAg12
Question.

Beyond the higher cost, which I think is the norm, is non "Barrel Proof"/"Cask Strength" considered a step below single Barrel or standard bourbon bottling process?

I get that Barrel Proof is bottled right from the barrel and doesn't undergo any further filtration, but how much thought should I place in that as I'm drinking other bourbons?

I have a few single barrels bourbons I'm enjoying, but I haven't been chasing barrel proof stuff. Will Bourbon snobs scoff at anything non Barrel Proof?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Splitting hairs, but I doubt that single barrel bourbon is commercially bottled straight from the barrel with a hole out of the side or a pump out of the bung hole. Likely transferred to a bottling machine first from the barrel.

I don't really understand your question though either way.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Id say on average I like barrel proof bourbons more than single barrel.

A lot of single barrel offerings you can grab off the shelf aren't really any different than the batched offerings.

To me EHT single barrel isn't worth the premium but something like Knob Creek is since it's higher proof and aged longer.
MW03
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Question.

Beyond the higher cost, which I think is the norm, is non "Barrel Proof"/"Cask Strength" considered a step below single Barrel or standard bourbon bottling process.

I get that it is bottled right from the barrel and doesn't undergo any further filtration, but how much thought should I place in that as I'm drinking other bourbons?

I have a few single barrels bourbons I'm enjoying, but I haven't been chasing barrel proof stuff.

"Single Barrel" just means it all came from one barrel. Each will be slightly different compared to other bottles of the same brand, but from different single barrels. They can still cut it with water reach the desired ABV. It just means that you aren't drinking lots of barrels of the same brand all mixed together before it's cut. The reason it's more expensive is because it's more labor-intensive to produce a bottle this way. You can't just dump 10 barrels of Woodford Reserve into a batch, cut and process 1500 bottles. You have to do each barrel individually, and you can only produce so many bottles to sell from that process.

"Barrel proof" or "cask strength" means it wasn't cut. It's more expensive because you get less product for the bottles because the whiskey doesn't go as far. So if you pull a whiskey that's 60% alcohol out of the barrel and you dilute it with water to 50%, you get that many more bottles by selling it at 100 proof compared to 120 proof.

You can have "cask strength" that is a mixed batch of many barrels of the same product without water. And you can have a "single barrel, cask strength" that is only from one barrel and is not cut with water.

At least, this is my understanding of the differences.
Sazerac
AG
SiB offerings will have more variation barrel to barrel.
SmB is using multiple barrels batched together so the product has a consistent taste bottle to bottle over time.

SiB variation can be interesting but I don't like paying a premium for it.

I tend to seek out high proof / barrel proof primarily because that's what I prefer. Like everyone I also enjoy well aged offerings regardless of proof, but those are typically expensive and much harder to find on a shelf. I also don't find they are actually worth what you have to pay.
MW03
AG
Anyway, if you find a "single barrel" that you like a lot, buy another from a different barrel before you finish it. Then compare the two side by side. If you just want to screw around, go buy a bottle of Evan Williams and a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel. Technically, it's the same whiskey in each bottle, and each is cut to 43% ABV. The only difference is that the EVSB will all have some from one barrel compared to a huge batch for the standard bottle.

Also, FWIW, I believe "small batch" means exactly that; many barrels mixed, but not as many as you'd see at a large scale operation. I think Eagle Rare used to be "single barrel" but then became "small batch" as they started churning out more of it at BT.
MW03
AG
One last thing is that this is different from "blended whiskey". If you buy a bottle of Makers Cask, you're going to get a blend of Makers that's uncut, but it's all coming from the same mash bill.

A blended whiskey is a blend of different whiskeys with different mash bills to reach a desired taste.
MarathonAg12
Chipotlemonger said:

Splitting hairs, but I doubt that single barrel bourbon is commercially bottled straight from the barrel with a hole out of the side or a pump out of the bung hole. Likely transferred to a bottling machine first from the barrel.

I don't really understand your question though either way.
Chiptole,

The question I had was if the Barrel Proof Bourbon is worth the extra bucks. I understand how the bottling process works for both methods. If I'm doing a blind tasting, will I favor cask right away?
First Page Last Page
Page 573 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.