Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,848,154 Views | 38484 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by Pac1698
AGdent07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I picked up the 12 year old world cask finished rye and really enjoyed it. Definitely pricey for what it is. After that I picked up a Flaks/Liquor Hut "10 year" pick. It was polar opposite and has a funky flavor profile. I would much rather have spent that money on rare breed barrel proof rye.
AGdent07
AG
Good choice there with some good options. Congrats and would like to know what you think of it. I haven't tried the 14.
aggielostinETX
AG
Got them all. Wife's great grandfather approves.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
jh0400
AG
AGdent07 said:

I picked up the 12 year old world cask finished rye and really enjoyed it. Definitely pricey for what it is. After that I picked up a Flaks/Liquor Hut "10 year" pick. It was polar opposite and has a funky flavor profile. I would much rather have spent that money on rare breed barrel proof rye.

WP picks tend to be all over the map. I've got five or six currently, and they're all unique. Some are really heavy on the spice.
SpiderDude
AG
I love em! Maybe you just got a funky barrel.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
I haven't been a fan of any of the WhistlePig releases either, which is weird since I'm a big Rye guy. Just not for me.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Game drinks
mazag08
AG
Drinking a cocktail of..

Four Roses single barrel
Sweet vermouth
Orange liquer
Lime twist.

Will likely switch to knob Creek 9 single barrel
AGdent07
AG
SpiderDude said:

I love em! Maybe you just got a funky barrel.

Yeah I'm thinking so cause I really enjoy ryes. I've circled back to it a couple times and it just doesn't improve. I grabbed one of the HBS picks recently but haven't opened it up yet. Fingers crossed it's better.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Orange bowl celebration pour. Gig 'Em!
trouble
AG
How I'm celebrating
TamuKid
AG
Let's goooooooooo!!!!!
Wheatables02
AG
2020 BTAC flight. Everything is overrated except for the William Larue Weller.
John Francis Donaghy
TamuKid said:

Let's goooooooooo!!!!!

Bourbon and Mountain Dew? Haven't seen that combo in a while. Are you a fellow Kentuckian?
AggieBarstool
RGRAg1/75 said:

Orange bowl celebration pour. Gig 'Em!

Been wondering about that one. How is it?
RGRAg1/75
AG
Really enjoying it. Not much higher proof than Blanton's, but it seems to have a tad more bite and similar notes, which suits me very well.
Sazerac
AG
Stagg Jr to celebrate
MarathonAg12
I'm currently at the liquor store on base.

Garrison Brothers small batch for $70. 2020
Garrison Brothers single barrel for $98. 2014
Wild Turkey Kentucky spirit $43
Balcones Rumble and Blue for about $43

Good deal? Going rate?
TamuKid
AG
No sir, Texan. But my BIL said he heard Mt Dew was originally built as a whiskey mixer/chaser so we gave it a try. Not sure I'll go back to it often, but it's good for partying. Haha
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Let's goooooooooo!!!!!

CharlieBrown17
AG
Those prices are fine but I find, at least AAFES stores, really only deals when they bought something nice that doesn't sell. Up here at JBLM they blew out Garrison SiB at 63 dollars. I've also gotten little book for 60ish on base for the same reason.
lazuras_dc
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Where's that at ?
Wheatables02
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Wheatables02 said:

Where's that at ?

Whiskey Cake Las Colinas
Gunner33
Ducks4brkfast said:

EHTBP. Easy decision. Terrible someone would suggest CYPB.

I suggested that for resell purposes only. Lol
MarathonAg12
CharlieBrown17 said:

Those prices are fine but I find, at least AAFES stores, really only deals when they bought something nice that doesn't sell. Up here at JBLM they blew out Garrison SiB at 63 dollars. I've also gotten little book for 60ish on base for the same reason.

Single Barrel Garrison for $63? What year? Does it matter?
CTGilley
AG
3 years ago I picked 2 up at $55 during dollar days.
62strat
AG
Avocado Toast said:

I won a whiskey lottery today, I get first pick, what should I grab??

dang too bad it's not MrBs downtown location. They had quite a bit more.
MarathonAg12
CTGilley said:

3 years ago I picked 2 up at $55 during dollar days.

Ooof
MarathonAg12
So after getting the bourbon bug over Christmas break I was able to start off my New Years with a basic whiskey build.

1. Basil Hayden's 10 Year
2. Old Forester 100 Rye
3. Elijah Craig Small Batch
4. Garrison Brothers Single Barrel, 2014
5. Lavagulin 16 (THATS NOT BOURBON!)

Scrolled through a lot of pages of this thread and made a few choices from it. Some weekend bourbons and some good occasion bourbons.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Garrison Bros being the most expensive bourbon I purchased, but the initial pages of this thread wouldn't stop talking about it. What the hell, got to have a little Texas in my collection.

Questions:

1. So if I let them sit for years unopened, what does that do to the taste and value? Obviously it isn't aging in its barrel still. Or is it still aging?
2. What are some other good products to add to my stash. What is a good Woodford? Maybe a couple, suggestions in the category of "I usually don't take this out often but I want you to try it" types of bottles.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Trying to build a stash because I do enjoy entertaining guests and just for the simple pleasure of enjoying fine bourbon.
John Francis Donaghy
1. Store in a dark place away from light and whiskey will be good for many years. When a bottle is over half gone, finish it within 6 months or so because it will downhill faster with that much air in the bottle. Although "downhill" is relative. It won't go bad, it just won't be quite as good.

2. No. Once bottled a whiskey does not age any more. A 10 year old whiskey on the day it's bottle will still be a 10 year old whiskey 5 years later. It won't get any better.

3. Woodford is a solid go-to but will be somewhat similar to the Elijah Craig you already have. And you already have a high rye in the Basil Hayden, so you might want to add some variety with a wheated bourbon like Makers Mark or Larceny.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah the single barrel. Pretty sure that was their cost on it. Around the same year you mentioned. Don't really drink enough Garrison to tell you if years change that much.
MarathonAg12
John Francis Donaghy said:

1. Store in a dark place away from light and whiskey will be good for many years. When a bottle is over half gone, finish it within 6 months or so because it will downhill faster with that much air in the bottle. Although "downhill" is relative. It won't go bad, it just won't be quite as good.

2. No. Once bottled a whiskey does not age any more. A 10 year old whiskey on the day it's bottle will still be a 10 year old whiskey 5 years later. It won't get any better.

3. Woodford is a solid go-to but will be somewhat similar to the Elijah Craig you already have. And you already have a high rye in the Basil Hayden, so you might want to add some variety with a wheated bourbon like Makers Mark or Larceny.

Thanks John,

I haven't had woodford in years so that might be nice. And I'll definitely check out the larceny.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
If you come back to the Woodford and want to experiment a little, check out the Double Oaked. It's a really great little bottle that's reasonably priced and widely available. Second the Larceny for a good, cheap, easy to find wheater.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I'm sure it's been posted before but I'm to lazy to look. I received this as a gift and have never had it. I was sure the outstanding gentleman on this board could tell me if it's any good?

62strat
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

I'm sure it's been posted before but I'm to lazy to look. I received this as a gift and have never had it. I was sure the outstanding gentleman on this board could tell me if it's any good?

open it and find out.
First Page Last Page
Page 570 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.