Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,163 Views | 38376 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by AgDev01
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
postman56 said:

62strat said:

lazuras_dc said:

.. maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?
Very likely that the guy in charge of buying allocated stuff might not want any random employee selling whatever he puts in the back.

Yep exactly. At big and small stores the allocated stuff isn't common knowledge. At my couple specs I go to I'll get a different answer for everyone I ask and local stores typically only manager/owners sell the allocated unless it's just sitting out with a high price tag.

At specs I always ask for someone in liquor to ask any questions but it's also important to note if it's anything more allocated than Eagle rare, EHT small batch or maybe weller antique, they're either telling you no or it's on a list.

You have to keep in mind these people get countless customers daily asking only for allocated stuff so just be nice and always be ready to be told no. Doesn't hurt to ask politely ever but even then it takes a lot of luck.

Makes sense the problem is I never see the same employee at specs or TW. At the local store- I go there a lot and buy all my other liquor and beer there so that's prob why the dude gave me the blantons, maybe he recognized me.
Was just curious.
SweaterVest
AG
TW is a total crap shoot. The ones in Houston don't give anything out from behind the counter, they dole it out a couple at a time on the shelves. There isn't a reason to ask for anything allocated because they either have it on the shelves or they are holding it to put it out later. I actually prefer their model and do most of my shopping there.

The exception is highly allocated bottles like BTAC, that goes out to loyalty members based on points and online raffles.
62strat
AG
lazuras_dc said:

postman56 said:

62strat said:

lazuras_dc said:

.. maybe the clerk just isn't authorized to give any away?
Very likely that the guy in charge of buying allocated stuff might not want any random employee selling whatever he puts in the back.

Yep exactly. At big and small stores the allocated stuff isn't common knowledge. At my couple specs I go to I'll get a different answer for everyone I ask and local stores typically only manager/owners sell the allocated unless it's just sitting out with a high price tag.

At specs I always ask for someone in liquor to ask any questions but it's also important to note if it's anything more allocated than Eagle rare, EHT small batch or maybe weller antique, they're either telling you no or it's on a list.

You have to keep in mind these people get countless customers daily asking only for allocated stuff so just be nice and always be ready to be told no. Doesn't hurt to ask politely ever but even then it takes a lot of luck.

Makes sense the problem is I never see the same employee at specs or TW. At the local store- I go there a lot and buy all my other liquor and beer there so that's prob why the dude gave me the blantons, maybe he recognized me.
Was just curious.
In my experience, around me anyway for the larger type stores, the buyers (wine/beer/liquor) are rarely out and about on the floor. They have an office in the store and are usually in it. The people on the floor are just catch all employees - stocker, cashier, etc. So while a guy may help you in the whisky aisle, still a good chance he isn't the liquor buyer.

These are obviously bigger stores; a small store is not going to have multiple buyers. The owner just does it all. My go to store has 3 distinct buyers, so you gotta talk to one of them about hard to find stuff, whatever category it may be.
StEdsCOOG
Nm
PearlandAg09
AG
agree - TW handles it best IMO. past few months got a OWA, W12 and Blanton's on the shelf by dropping in a few times randomly during the week.
postman56
AG
PearlandAg09 said:

agree - TW handles it best IMO. past few months got a OWA, W12 and Blanton's on the shelf by dropping in a few times randomly during the week.

TW is the most fair but I hate it because I have struck out this entire year at TW lol.

As annoying as the specs early line up is I have gotten a lot from it at least
CTGilley
AG
PearlandAg09 said:

I was told Blanton's will never be on a TW shelf again. There was a stabbing this year and they decided to go to loyalty members only now. Said OWA would still be on the shelf but not likely 12.
Sazerac
AG
I go to multiple places all over town.
Besides one score this summer at a twin liquor (EHT SiB, Rye, and a Little Book) I've gotten TWO bottles of ER this year From a Specs. That's it!!

Everything else I've gotten from people on this thread.

Broncos
I found a bottle of WFP tonight for $500 if anyone wants it.
PearlandAg09
AG
dang i didn't hear about that. Tried to look it up and couldn't find anything - do you know which location?

i believe they're franchised so i presume it was a pushed from corporate. Crazy to me something like that could occur over a bottle of bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I get a little rush when i come across a bottle but it is nothing to write home about compared to many others at the same price point.
PearlandAg09
AG
yeah, the best thing about Spec's, at least on Smith St, is the deli. i work downtown and go there for lunch 1-2 times a week and haven't seen a bottle of ER by way of smoke signal. That store can be Broseph central.
Goodest Poster
AG
Broncos said:

I found a bottle of WFP tonight for $500 if anyone wants it.

Saw one last week on a shelf for 799.
LCE
AG
Not a big ER fan, but picked up bottle of TL barrel pick ER for $31 tonight.

jetch17
AG
I've found more ER in the last 2 weeks without even 'looking' for it
Ducks4brkfast
AG
This is good. I would buy another.
CTGilley
AG
I am not sure if it was Austin or San Antonio. Same group manages both city locations. I remember seeing it on the news a month or so ago.
CactusThomas
AG
I have one of those and I am looking forward to it!
DonaldFDraper
AG
I found an online store that will ship to me. Prices seem decent even after shipping, fees, taxes. Could you guys double check the prices?

All 750ml

Woodford Double Oak - $55
OF 1920 - $70
High West Double Rye - $30
Bulleit Bourbon - $40
Bulliet Rye - $40
Jim Beam Double Oak - $35
WT 101 - $25
SweaterVest
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

I found an online store that will ship to me. Prices seem decent even after shipping, fees, taxes. Could you guys double check the prices?

All 750ml

Woodford Double Oak - $55
OF 1920 - $70
High West Double Rye - $30
Bulleit Bourbon - $40
Bulliet Rye - $40
Jim Beam Double Oak - $35
WT 101 - $25

OF 1920 is about $15 high. The rest are probably ok or a little high, but after shipping why not just pick them up TW or Specs? For the most part those are readily available.
DonaldFDraper
AG
The OF seemed high. Thanks for confirming.

Believe it or not, I've had terrible luck finding those at MSRP in Fort Worth. I don't shop regularly but they either out or prices are inflated.
lazuras_dc
AG
I just got a woodford double oak for ~44 a month ago FWIW

Is bulleit really that expensive?
DonaldFDraper
AG
Meh. I just cross referenced the Total Wine website, only the WT101 and High West aren't overpriced by 10-20%. I'll pass on the others.

Thanks all!
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Just snagged a 1792 Single Barrel TW Pick for my FIL's birthday. Not a huge whiskey guy in that he has a bunch of rare/allocated bottles but also can appreciate a good whiskey.
Bunk Moreland
Lester Freamon said:

Just snagged a 1792 Single Barrel TW Pick for my FIL's birthday. Not a huge whiskey guy in that he has a bunch of rare/allocated bottles but also can appreciate a good whiskey.

Figured you'd be busy making him some great looking dollhouse armoires or something.
DDSO
AG
My buddy just got this. Anybody try it before?

Pasquale Liucci
AG
What you did there. I see it.
TamuKid
AG
Opened the Woodford Batch Proof tonight. Dollar for dollar, it just falls flat. If this was 60-70 bucks, I think it'd be way more popular. It's a very good pour, but with KC 120's, ECBP, Rare Breed, Stagg Jr, Old Ezra 7, 1792 Full Proofs, etc... it just seems wildly overpriced in comparison. I'll enjoy it as a switch up to my normal sips though. I get a lot of oak, leather, tobacco, some licorice way more than I do the sweet notes (vanilla, caramel, cherry, and fruits) I usually tend to gravitate to.
ClickClack
AG
DDSO said:

My buddy just got this. Anybody try it before?

I've had it at a bar. Quite good.
Bunk Moreland
Have an unopened SiB bottle of OF from Gulf Coast Spirits Society but not Barrel Strength.
MW03
AG
KC Quarter Oak neat. Excellent.
DDSO
AG
I like other OF offerings, so I am looking forward to trying this one.
ClickClack
AG
DDSO said:

I like other OF offerings, so I am looking forward to trying this one.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
dmart90
AG
Just picked these up. Looking forward to trying the two Remus bottles.

Side note, got the Eagle Rare at the local Specs for $30. It was not on the shelf, it was in back and you had to ask for it. I'm a big Eagle Rare fan, but keeping it in back and handing it out like it's special is just insane.
djmeen95
AG
Just got a call from Goody Goody here in Houston. Name got pulled in the allocated bourbon drawing. Here's what I got...

Gonna go get a scratch off ticket now.
Bunk Moreland
congrats!
First Page Last Page
Page 564 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.