Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,422 Views | 38561 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by tu ag
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wheatables02 said:

TheCellarDoor said:

Cracked my RHF tonight for the game. It really is amazing. The vanilla and charred oak stand out, and the finish basically never stops! My favorite of mashbill 2.

It's definitely the best out of them. Don't tell all the Blanton's or ETL freaks.

I have never, ever seen. RHF in the wild.
CharlieBrown17
AG
RHF has a higher secondary cost than Blantons or ETL
TheCellarDoor
AG
You can imagine my shock when my local liquor store guy unveiled it. He acted for a while like he was reserving it for a bar, but then he put it in my bag and rung it up! Early Christmas present!

I've been a good customer of his for a while, so I appreciate the reciprocation!
SnyderAg02
Cheers to a "convincing " victory against the swamp kitties. Hope y'all enjoyed the football and some quality bourbon.
AGdent07
AG
Met up with a couple aggies over thanksgiving and made some trades. Thanks SnyderAg and AggBock. Covid sucks! Really would have enjoyed opening these up and sharing a pour. Opened up the smoke wagon for the Aggie game and it's good stuff.
Superdave1993
AG
I am becoming more of a Turkey fan every time I try one. Thanks to everyone on this board for recommending them. Picked up a plastic bottle of plain old 101 for a river trip where glass was not allowed, bought a bottle of Kentucky Spirit single barrel for thanksgiving. They both were pleasantly surprising and I simply had to walk in and pick them up off the shelf. I'll have to pick up a barrel proof and see if it continues the trend.
MJ20/20
AG
If you're in the Houston area, Specs and Total Wine both have Russell's Reserve Barrel Picks on the shelf right now. I highly recommend trying them after reading your post.
Superdave1993
AG
Thanks for the heads up. I am in Arkansas, but I will send up a bat signal before the next trip down.
SnyderAg02
It was good to meet you. We'll definitely have to crack one open next time.
SpiderDude
AG
Wow. If you take offense to that I can't help you. Clearly it's in jest. I would clearly be one of the groups I mentioned... so I'm either insulting myself or a general tease at bourbon chasing which I obviously take part in. If you're looking to get your feelings hurt I suggest the politics board.
htxag09
AG
Lol. Didn't take offense. Just pointing out some of the hypocrisy. But carry on
SpiderDude
AG
TheCellarDoor said:

Cracked my RHF tonight for the game. It really is amazing. The vanilla and charred oak stand out, and the finish basically never stops! My favorite of mashbill 2.

Your post enticed me to crack mine as well. It's definitely a much different profile (to me) than Blanton's. I got a fair amount of plumb/ stone fruit from mine. The finish is long as you said.
YouBet
AG
I found Noah's Mill in Rockport over Thanksgiving. Haven't seen it since before the bourbon craze. Bought that up. Assume it's still a good one.
mazag08
AG
YouBet said:

I found Noah's Mill in Rockport over Thanksgiving. Haven't seen it since before the bourbon craze. Bought that up. Assume it's still a good one.

I've seen it plenty at Specs, Total Wine, and a couple of my local liquor stores.

Really sad that it seems to be on its way to becoming a unicorn.
the dude10
AG
I went back and tried that new bottle I got again. I still enjoyed it, but it's definitely different than I remember it was years back. Or maybe my palate has changed and I'm losing my mind haha
YouBet
AG
mazag08 said:

YouBet said:

I've seen it plenty at Specs, Total Wine, and a couple of my local liquor stores.

Really sad that it seems to be on its way to becoming a unicorn.
Hmm, I haven't seen anything beyond the common low to mid tier bourbon in years when I've looked at those places. Haven't seen Noah's Mill out there in 6-7 years because I always look for it. Was shocked to see it but this was also a small liquor store.
CactusThomas
AG
Adios amigo
Sixdrakes
AG
That PHC 11 is one of my all time favorites.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sixdrakes said:

That PHC 11 is one of my all time favorites.

It's what bourbon should be
CTGilley
AG
I had an Old Scout store pick last week. It is the best bourbon I have tasted so far. I compare it to THT (my favorite) with added cream brle.
Silver Arrows
AG
Any recommendations for liquor stores in the San Diego area? I have a buddy that will be out there and is looking to pick up a bottle for a relative.
bowhuntr
SIAP...looking for good ideas for hosting a small bourbon tasting. We have a small neighborhood 'club' that has met twice already - I'm next. My agenda now:
-opening cocktail. Thinking pecan infused old fashion w/ vanilla dem gum syrup.
-4 flight bling tasting. OW 107, OW 12 year, Taylor small batch, peg leg porker 12 yr.
-finishing cocktail. Thinking an Old Timber.

We, as a group, are trying to get more educated on bourbon, how to taste etc. Any advice would be helpful.

Just discovered this board recently - awesome stuff, thanks!

Old Timber
2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz falernum mix
2 dash orange bitters

Mix: 3 parts John Taylor falernum to 1 part Averna Amaro
CharlieBrown17
AG
That old timber sounds good. Might try one tonight
bowhuntr
CharlieBrown17 said:

That old timber sounds good. Might try one tonight

Got it from a buddy who found at a high end cocktail bar in San Diego. It's a really good alternative to an old fashion. Worth having to purchase the averna and falernum.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Already have the falernum from making rum drinks.

Corn and oil is a good one if you have falernum and a decent rum
wmitchell
AG
Just picked up some ER and OWA. Really excited! Wife and I are going to enjoy some ER tonight.
bowhuntr
Nice, I'll try tonight...
turfman80
AG
Silver Arrows said:

Any recommendations for liquor stores in the San Diego area? I have a buddy that will be out there and is looking to pick up a bottle for a relative.
Del Mesa
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Silver Arrows
AG
Thank you
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Last night's pour
Wheatables02
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Last night's pour

Nice. A lot of "6's" and "8's" on that bottle.
RenoAg
So if I can get some ECBP muled back from Mississippi in a couple weeks, any of you Htown boys want a bottle? No telling which batches they'll have. So you'd have to be in for whichever ones they have. My mule isn't gonna be able to check for batches to match up to orders. If you're interested and wanna commit let me know. No markup on price. They were 64.99 + taxes which came out to right at $70. First come, first serve in case requests exceed availability.
jetch17
AG
Yeah im in for one - my current and only bottle is down to last couple pours. not picky on batch.
Sazerac
AG
I'm in for one
CTGilley
AG
Just had 2 delivered today
First Page Last Page
Page 548 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.