Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,980 Views | 38370 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Naveronski
LPHA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else try the yellow rose 10th anniversary bottle? It reminded me of a cask strength double oaked. Didn't like the flavor profile a little bit ago but it's good as hell right now
MJ20/20
AG
What's everyone's lineup for today?
We are doing:
Cactus Thomas influenced Wild Turkey MK Revival
Four Roses OBSV store pick
Colonel Taylor small batch

For desert we're doing a 1792 full proof blind tasting of 4 different store picks.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I enjoy this thread as much or more than any other on this site. A lot of great people sharing their whiskey adventures and more. Hope all y'all have a good one.
Naveronski
AG

CactusThomas
the dude10
AG
So I hadn't bought Noah's mill in a few years and grabbed a bottle finally the other day. I recall the primary tasting note for me being pecan/nutty. Upon tasting it seems totally different. Looked on the label and it's willets own distillate now. Kinda disappointed in the change tbh as it always seemed to be a unique option.

Next glass I grabbed was HH BiB and damn if it doesn't taste very similar to what I was expecting from the Noah's mill. Not exactly, proofs are different and all but I have almost convinced myself that it's the same juice willet was sourcing for Noah's mill. Anyone tried the new Noah's mill? Thoughts?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Don't know if that's where they were getting Noah's mill, but a lot of the old WFE purple tops that were Kentucky origin are/are rumored to be Heaven Hill
Johnsy3
AG
Mainly making old fashioneds with some infused whiskey - I put half Double Rye, half OGD 114 in a mason jar with cinnamon sticks, cloves, and and apple peels. Kept it in there for a couple weeks. Muddling brown sugar and torching the orange rind garnish.

Gonna pop open a WR Double Oaked store pick tonight to cap the day off
CactusThomas
AG
Sounds like a great day!
the dude10
AG
Started off with double Oaked and gonna make a run through a lot of turkey products for thanksgiving. Kentucky spirit, 101 rye, Russel's reserve 10 yr, RR single barrel store pick and masters keep rye. Pretty excited!
Ornithopter
AG
the dude10 said:

So I hadn't bought Noah's mill in a few years and grabbed a bottle finally the other day. I recall the primary tasting note for me being pecan/nutty. Upon tasting it seems totally different. Looked on the label and it's willets own distillate now. Kinda disappointed in the change tbh as it always seemed to be a unique option.

Next glass I grabbed was HH BiB and damn if it doesn't taste very similar to what I was expecting from the Noah's mill. Not exactly, proofs are different and all but I have almost convinced myself that it's the same juice willet was sourcing for Noah's mill. Anyone tried the new Noah's mill? Thoughts?

I really like Noah's Mill. It's up there with Belle Meade Reserve and 4 Roses Small Batch Select for me.
MJ20/20
AG
That sounds awesome.
SpiderDude
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Mainly making old fashioneds with some infused whiskey - I put half Double Rye, half OGD 114 in a mason jar with cinnamon sticks, cloves, and and apple peels. Kept it in there for a couple weeks. Muddling brown sugar and torching the orange rind garnish.

Gonna pop open a WR Double Oaked store pick tonight to cap the day off

SpiderDude
AG
I made a few smoked Sazeracs with MGP Rye, wormwood bitters and Pernod Absinthe Superior wash. Had a pour of RR SiB. Washed that down with some beer and turkey. Debating my next move carefully.
betadawg1
AG
WhistlePig Maple Old Fashioneds.
Ags #1
AG

GarlandAg2012
AG
betadawg1 said:

WhistlePig Maple Old Fashioneds.

If you have carpano antica, you're well on your way to making a Town & Country, my favorite cocktail.

http://barmoire.com/2013/07/10/boulevardiers-eddie-eakin-is-the-man-about-town-country/
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
SpiderDude
AG
This looks excellent. I'm adding to the cocktail thread.
ClickClack
AG
I have COVID and can't taste my bourbon. It really sucks, especially being thanksgiving.

Pour one out for me.
CactusThomas
AG
Don't waste this opportunity to be able to enjoy all the scotch you have been gifted!
John Francis Donaghy
CactusThomas said:

Don't waste this opportunity to be able to enjoy all the scotch you have been gifted!

Yes. Can confirm. All scotch is terrible. No reason for all you bourbon fans who pay 10x markups, and drive all over town bribing retail workers and hoarding any label with a positive online review to ever bother trying any scotch. Just take my word, never step foot in a scotch aisle. It's awful. No need to ever buy or even try any of it.
CactusThomas
AG
Take it to the LGBT board
mazag08
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

CactusThomas said:

Yes. Can confirm. All scotch is terrible. No reason for all you bourbon fans who pay 10x markups, and drive all over town bribing retail workers and hoarding any label with a positive online review to ever bother trying any scotch. Just take my word, never step foot in a scotch aisle. It's awful. No need to ever buy or even try any of it.

Exactly.
ClickClack
AG
CactusThomas said:

I just bought a new bottle of scotch I was looking forward to as well.
turfman80
AG
My nephew traveling through Louisiana set me up with my favorite bourbon.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Pasquale Liucci
AG
This may be a dumb question but does LA have better bourbon availability than Texas? Specifically for stuff like ER that is a deal at retail but hard/impossible to find
turfman80
AG
He found six at a grocery store outside NO and says it is easier to find stuff there than here.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
AggBock
AG
I went to a few stores in Colorado Springs and one had a case of ER on shelf for 32 each.
SpiderDude
AG
Lester Freamon said:

This may be a dumb question but does LA have better bourbon availability than Texas? Specifically for stuff like ER that is a deal at retail but hard/impossible to find

You could pretty much insert any state in place of LA as being easier to hunt in than Texas. Too many taters, bourbon snobs and Pappy Gilmores in the Lone Star State.
htxag09
AG
A couple things, first, I truly don't understand statements like this made on this thread. I mean, seems pretty straightforward to me that this dig applies to everyone on this thread. Also seems odd that the dig comes from someone who just posted pictures of their inventory of over 100 bottles.

Second, are these bourbon distribution networks bad or are they doing it on purpose? I mean why ship extra bottles to Louisiana that will just sit on the shelf vs shipping somewhere they'll sell in a month. I get maintaining a distribution network, other products via distributors, etc. But seems to me they'd be more profitable if they shipped less to just have it sit.
MJ20/20
AG
Not to speak for SpiderDude, but I don't think his post is meant as a dig at the people posting on this thread. I took it more as frustration with the flippers and Facebook groups. The people that are out to profit off the very people in this thread.
htxag09
AG
I can see that. But a lot of people post about hoarders and how they ruin the market. Then the next post is someone with 6 bottles of Blantons because they found them or with more bottles than they'll drink in a lifetime. Yet we still all get pissed off when someone comes with a "unicorn" and asks secondary prices. Still not seeing groups like this are a reason why secondary prices are being commanded.

Just my .02. I don't post much on this thread anymore because the craze turned me off. But still follow it. I got lucky and got into bourbon before it got asinine and found pretty much all the bottles I could want. Drank some, have a lot stocked up, gave some as gifts, and sold a lot to people on here for what I paid.
TheCellarDoor
AG
Cracked my RHF tonight for the game. It really is amazing. The vanilla and charred oak stand out, and the finish basically never stops! My favorite of mashbill 2.
betadawg1
AG
BTHO LSU!!!
Daytona22
AG
Whoa! Cool ice! Parkers and weller 12 for me tonight.
Wheatables02
AG
TheCellarDoor said:

Cracked my RHF tonight for the game. It really is amazing. The vanilla and charred oak stand out, and the finish basically never stops! My favorite of mashbill 2.

It's definitely the best out of them. Don't tell all the Blanton's or ETL freaks.
First Page Last Page
Page 547 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.