Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,080 Views | 38552 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Aggie Therapist
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FriedTex said:

It's a 20 dollar bottle that are selling for 40+

Yeah, I paid 30. Fits the $20 price point way better.
Bigfootisreal
Damn I should not have counted since I always tell my wife I need more bourbon! 54 unopened bottles and 17 open. Mix of bourbon, scotch and american single malt.
Bigfootisreal
How to you like that RUA single malt? I find it way too delicious- trying to not drink it all at once!
SpiderDude
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

How to you like that RUA single malt? I find it way too delicious- trying to not drink it all at once!

Same. I milk it occasionally. I bought it in North Carolina. Is it available in Texas anywhere?
trouble
AG
I was cleaning the liquor cabinet today so I decided to count.

110 bottles open (a few aren't whiskey but not many), 11 unopened.
CactusThomas
AG
Do you have bottles go bad? I keep 50+ open at a time but try to cycle through them without them sitting around for several years. I have a 1.75 of OWA that went south. I lost track of it and its probably 4 years old or so.
MJ20/20
AG
That's wild. I've never had one go bad and honestly didn't think they could. I have a couple of bottles of OWA that my grandad got from the distillery back in late 70's - early 80's that have been open since then and are still great.
Bigfootisreal
Not that I've seen. Ordered it online shipped to my Mother in laws, who brought it down this fall.
CactusThomas
AG
MJ20/20 said:

That's wild. I've never had one go bad and honestly didn't think they could. I have a couple of bottles of OWA that my grandad got from the distillery back in late 70's - early 80's that have been open since then and are still great.

Oh they definitely change. I have some that are closer to 6 or 7 years that are still the same but they are high proof and more than halfway full. PHC to be specific.

My OWA is a 1.75 with only 8 oz or so left. It's not good.
trouble
AG
Nope. They may change but I haven't had any go bad.

We do tend to finish them off pretty quickly once we get to the bottom 3rd of the bottle though.
CactusThomas
AG
I think that's the best policy. Finish them once they get too low.
JRizzle
AG
Not a bad haul this weekend
tripperwill
AG
Nice!!! That ORVW is really all I'm looking score this fall.
KC_Ag14
AG
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but went back a few pages and searched this forum, and saw no mention of it. I just finished Wright Thompson's "Pappyland." Part profile of Julian Van Winkle - part autobiography - a very well-written book about exactly what the title says: Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last. Cheers and happy reading.
SteveG
AG
KC

Glad you brought that up. I bought the book but have not started reading it yet. I did join the zoom book review w Julian van winkle and Wright Thompson. 2 entertaining folks for sure.

In the chat feature during the call, everyone was typing what they were drinking (Blantons here). Were you the person who typed in the chat BTHO Ole Miss! (Julian had an Ole Miss hat on and Wright went to Ole Miss and lives in Oxford). Genius if that was you!
SpiderDude
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

You motivated me to go back for a pour. Strawberry jam bomb! Outstanding.
gigemJTH12
AG
question from a novice fine bourbon buyer:

I acquired a bottle of Blantons last year and gave it to my uncle for Chritmas. He loved it.

Is there any other brand that is of similar stature that I can buy him this year? And if so, where can I get it.

I am in Houston.

thank you!
MW03
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

question from a novice fine bourbon buyer:

I acquired a bottle of Blantons last year and gave it to my uncle for Chritmas. He loved it.

Is there any other brand that is of similar stature that I can buy him this year? And if so, where can I get it.

I am in Houston.

thank you!

If he is a bourbon guy, and you gave it to him last year, chances are pretty good he was impressed by the label and the fact that you had one as much as anything. Blantons is notoriously hard to find right now at MSRP. Consequently, I'm sorry to say that there isn't really anything in terms of similar stature from a "hype" perspective that you can walk in and purchase easily.

That being said, there are a ton of other brands out there that are as good or better and that can be had off the shelf, and I'm sure you're going to get a lot of recommendations. But in terms of an "oh wow, it's a blantons!" reaction, then it's probably going to be tough sledding.

On the other hand, if he liked it because of the flavor and wasn't wow'd by the label, then that's another story.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with MW03...not going to be able to just figure out a store that has a bottle as tough to find and well thought of (combo of both) as Blanton's.

If you're able to find a Booker's Granny Batch that'd be a good one. Baker's 7 year single will be easier to find. I currently like that.

It's not going to wow with the price tag or being rare but I put Evan Williams Single Barrel up against most bourbons.
Fall92
AG
Most Spec's reps will try to tell you Walking Stick is the poor man's BLANTON's. I don't dislike it but it's not in the same ballpark. I second the EWSib rec. It's solid. Old Forrester 1920 is also obtainable and a very good bourbon.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Sazerac
AG
You can find Bookers in a nice box for $80-$90 on a shelf. It's a nice gift bottle.

Can probably find an EHT Small Batch from a shop or secondary for $60-$85. Also nice packaging and kinda sorta hard to find so he will appreciate.
MW03
AG
Honestly, I think Russell's Reserve 10 is a pretty good alternative to Blanton's. Both are mostly corn with some rye. Both are bottled around 90 proof or a little higher. Both are single barrel offerings. Blantons is 7-8 years old, while RR is 10, so that's something. You really can't go wrong with a RR store pick either. It won't "wow" like Blanton's, but it's every bit the drinker.

Really, for gifts I like getting stuff I ordinarily wouldn't buy. Something from Barrell Bourbon, which I think is also corn-forward so would be in the same category as Blanton's, would fit into that category. Kentucky Owl would be one I'd be thrilled to get but would never buy. Cream of Kentucky would be another.
Sixdrakes
AG
Most Houston area Specs received EH Taylor Small Batch yesterday. You might get lucky and get one at a local Specs near you.
MW03
AG
Sazerac said:

You can find Bookers in a nice box for $80-$90 on a shelf. It's a nice gift bottle.

Can probably find an EHT Small Batch from a shop or secondary for $60-$85. Also nice packaging and kinda sorta hard to find so he will appreciate.

Yeah, EHT Small Batch is probably the closest thing you can find to Blanton's. I still cannot find Bookers. It would definitely be a very nice gift, and the packaging is excellent. It is significantly higher proof compared to Blanton's if you're looking for something comparable.
Sazerac
AG
Twin liquors in sugar land had about 6 Bookers Boston on the shelf last week when I happened to stop by.
MW03
AG
Jefferson also makes a "wood experiment" set that would be a cool gift. I think it's 6 small bottles and usually runs about $100.
07fta07
AG
Twin Liquors seems to always have Bookers on the shelf. Just about every location around Houston that I've seen.
lazuras_dc
AG
I had no problems seeing Bookers on most shelves here in Corpus a month ago...
Thats a good gift option due to coming in a wooden box.
EHT would have that "hype" to it if you can find it.
Straight taste though...for me... I haven't had anything that beats OF 1920 that's worth the effort or the cost.
CTGilley
AG
I thing Woodford Double Oaked is a really good gift option. Very different taste profile than anything else. I have not heard anyone truly dislike it. I compare it to a port wine. It is good for a glass.
mazag08
AG
This little sweetheart was just sitting on the shelf All by herself at Total Wine winking at me.

KC_Ag14
AG
SteveG said:

KC

Glad you brought that up. I bought the book but have not started reading it yet. I did join the zoom book review w Julian van winkle and Wright Thompson. 2 entertaining folks for sure.

In the chat feature during the call, everyone was typing what they were drinking (Blantons here). Were you the person who typed in the chat BTHO Ole Miss! (Julian had an Ole Miss hat on and Wright went to Ole Miss and lives in Oxford). Genius if that was you!
Wish I could take credit for that. I saw that the Zoom review was happening with them both, but forgot to register for it. BTHO Ole Miss nonetheless!
CactusThomas
AG
Thats the best one of the series to me.
SnyderAg02
What would be considered a reasonable price above MSRP for the new Parker's Heritage?
Ornithopter
AG
I got some Colonel EH Taylor! Hooray! Share in my happiness!
Sixdrakes
AG
SnyderAg02 said:

What would be considered a reasonable price above MSRP for the new Parker's Heritage?
$150ish
First Page Last Page
Page 546 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.