Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,577 Views | 38562 Replies | Last: 31 min ago by Aggie Therapist
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Should have some PMP in 2 weeks time. We'll see how it goes!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Aren't you supposed to combine and age in a mini barrel?
Farmer1906
AG
You don't have to.
ClickClack
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Nope
lazuras_dc
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

My brother in law tried that and it tasted terrible. Saw a thread on reddit that it was a mistake to do so. And other recipes I saw said to combine in a decanter or even just a glass although two weeks was a good time to let the mixture settle. So I'm forgoing the barrel as I've tried that already and it was very pungent and oaky.
ClickClack
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You don't have to.

I would say you shouldn't. You'll change the flavor.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Well, seems like there was a quick consensus!

Been awhile since I had seem someone make it. Must have misremembered that "fact".
CactusThomas
AG
Smart not to age it in a barrel. I wouldn't keep it in crystal either though. Probably not a big deal but I've been advised not to keep liquor in leaded crystal for more than a day or so.
Buck Compton
AG
CactusThomas said:

Smart not to age it in a barrel. I wouldn't keep it in crystal either though. Probably not a big deal but I've been advised not to keep liquor in leaded crystal for more than a day or so.
Most decanters aren't made with leaded glass ("crystal") anymore. Most are just regular glass. Those that are crystal are hundreds of dollars typically and only made by a handful of companies.

But the advice you were given is correct.
lazuras_dc
AG
Got this decanter from my parents so no idea if its crystal or glass. Oh well it's what I got.

Upon further research it certainly looks like there are still decanters on the market made of leaded crystal...
MW03
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Got this decanter from my parents so no idea if its crystal or glass. Oh well it's what I got.

Upon further research it certainly looks like there are still decanters on the market made of leaded crystal...

yeah, I think i have one, too...
MJ20/20
AG
Anyone try the Sam Houston 14 that's being floating around lately?
aggie7020
AG
Can not find it
CactusThomas
AG
I have a few sets of Waterford and a set of baccarat crystal. I use the glasses regularly but never really use the decanters anymore.
Sazerac
AG
Anyone else a Manhattan fanatic?

I mix up a couple liters to keep chilled in the fridge.
CactusThomas
AG
I like a Manhattan at the bar but can't keep vermouth fresh long enough to make at home. Even refrigerated it tastes off quickly.
jh0400
AG
I've had luck vacuum sealing it.
Sazerac
AG
Mix it with 2 parts RYE and refrigerate. Keeps great!
lazuras_dc
AG
CactusThomas said:

I like a Manhattan at the bar but can't keep vermouth fresh long enough to make at home. Even refrigerated it tastes off quickly.

For a long time I didn't realize why I hated manhattans and it was because I was drinking my dads martini rossi that had been sitting in the pantry for a year.
Now with a fresh bottle of anticca, Manhattan is damn tasty.
lazuras_dc
AG
Tell me about Total Wine Grand Reserve ? Is it in a calendar year that you have to rack up the 25k points - so that's spending $2500 general or $1700 in direct products.That is a lot of alcohol to buy....but could be worth it if you actually get good allocated products on a decent basis ... who has experience ?
Sazerac
AG
I'm GR. Have never gotten *****
John Francis Donaghy
Same here. Never gotten anything allocated out of it.
CactusThomas
AG
This is my first year grand reserve since they just opened one recently near me. In the most recent selection I chose OF birthday as my 1st choice and PHC as 2nd. Didn't get anything. Doesn't give me hope for BTAC but I usually get those from specs and spankys.
lazuras_dc
AG
Does TW just send you an email with those choices ?

How does specs system work - just on the keycard points and emails get sent out ?
Sazerac
AG
Email
CactusThomas
AG
Total wine does email. Specs calls my phone.
AggBock
AG
Yes. They send an email. Then they just put it all on the shelf for anybody. Today in DFW M10 and Michters barrel strength in all variety was just put on shelves. Then everyone gets mad about being GR.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know about all that
austinag1997
AG
CactusThomas said:

I keep hearing that. I would be dead by now listening to that advice. I have been doing that for years and I have not once had elevated lead levels over the years. Maybe I empty the decanter too fast.
austinag1997
AG
Sazerac said:

I'm GR. Have never gotten *****

This. I was told that individual TW locations send allocations to a central location regionally for distribution. Could be BS... just what I was told. Better off creating relationships with local neighborhood stores IMO.
Cyprian
AG
I'm GR for 2 months now. I only am with TW is bc of convienence tho (location). When are these emails supposed to come out? I haven't seen anything llike that yet

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
SnyderAg02
Have been inspired by this thread to branch out. Picked up some new ones at lunch today. I'd be curious to see which of these you all have found to be enjoyable. I typically stick to four roses.
MJ20/20
AG
ILikeTacos
AG

Sazerac
AG
Awesome awesome tasty

First Page Last Page
Page 533 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.