Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,588 Views | 37595 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by Pac1698
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Revisiting Booker's 2019-03 (Country Ham) to celebrate the stars win, and man this is a great bourbon.
AgDev01
AG
What does every one like for cheap rye's? Personally OF and Rittenhouse are my go to for 25 or so.
MW03
AG
I know everyone loves Rittenhouse, but for a cheap rye I really enjoy Bulleit
RenoAg
Cracked open an older ecbp 139.4 tonight. Smoothest almost hazmat pour I've ever had. Sneaks up on you quick though. I probably still prefer the high proof wheaters or even ryes but this is not bad even with the different flavor profile. Point being is that your palate may change over time. Don't be afraid to try something years later. I hadn't had a pour of ECBP in years. I didn't care for it at all back then.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

I heart MGP!!! The OF is a great Rye and has a high malted barley % in the mashbill. Baby Saz isn't bad in that price range. Knob Creek Rye is also very good for a few more dollars. And for a few dollars more I suggest the Rare Breed Rye. The taters grabbed the first round but as it continues to be released it should be easier to come by. I'm looking forward to trying the Elijah Craig Rye as well.
HouseDivided06
AG
Old Forester, Knob Creek, Rittenhouse, and Baby Saz are always good bang for the buck. But Pikesville is the champ for under $45 at 110 proof. It's just so damn good
SpiderDude
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Old Forester, Knob Creek, Rittenhouse, and Baby Saz are always good bang for the buck. But Pikesville is the champ for under $45 at 110 proof. It's just so damn good

You're not wrong but WT RB Rye is in the same territory and Rossville Union BP is >>> if you dig MGP (like me).
Sazerac
AG
Bulleit Rye 1.75 @ $40 is what I use in manhattans.
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

HouseDivided06 said:

You're not wrong but WT RB Rye is in the same territory and Rossville Union BP is >>> if you dig MGP (like me).
who doesn't dig MGP?
John Francis Donaghy
AgDev01 said:

What does every one like for cheap rye's? Personally OF and Rittenhouse are my go to for 25 or so.

Bulleit for cocktails. Rittenhouse for drinking straight.

Pro tip: put your Rittenhouse in the refrigerator. It's fantastic chilled, but loses too much flavor as the ice melts.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

MW03 said:

I heart MGP!!! The OF is a great Rye and has a high malted barley % in the mashbill. Baby Saz isn't bad in that price range. Knob Creek Rye is also very good for a few more dollars. And for a few dollars more I suggest the Rare Breed Rye. The taters grabbed the first round but as it continues to be released it should be easier to come by. I'm looking forward to trying the Elijah Craig Rye as well.

Is the EC Rye going to be a step between Rittenhouse and Pikesville? Or above Pikesville?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd wager between quality wise but lower proof than both.

It's already out and follows the standard EC 94 proof.
AgDev01
AG
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Ill have to find a bottle of the EC rye.

Picked up a bottle of Bowman Brothers small batch earlier. At 30 bucks its a coin flip between that and EW SiB. Different flavors but both really close in quality. Ill probably keep both in my collection.
CharlieBrown17
AG
EC rye is limited market. You won't find it in Texas.
AgDev01
AG
Like KY limited or?
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

This. Pikesville is hard to beat. I love it.
HouseDivided06
AG
I haven't found the Rossville Union BP yet. Been on the lookout for it because of your previous posts. Can't wait to try it.
mazag08
AG
AgDev01 said:

Woodford Rye is my go to. It's not the cheapest at $30, but it's good enough to be a sipper and is perfect in cocktails.

If I want to go cheaper, I go Bulleit.
Johnsy3
AG
Rittenhouse is definitely my #1. It's 100 proof and good to sip if I don't want a cocktail. Other cheap ones I'll switch up with are Bulleit, Sazerac, or Double Rye!

If I'm sipping a rye though it's gonna be Knob Creek Cask strength
CharlieBrown17
AG
Actually not KY either. There's a list of states I don't remember offhand. When they announced it, the end goal was nation wide I think but it hasn't expanded yet to my knowledge.
SpiderDude
AG
Johnsy3 said:

If you're running low they have a ton at the Twin at I-35 and University in Round Rock.
Elsjuan
AG
SpiderDude said:

Anybody tried the Little Book Ch. 4? I scored a bottle but not sure if I want to drink or trade it?

Been looking for one, haven't found one. I'd be interested in it, if you're interested in trading.
Sixdrakes
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

SpiderDude said:

MW03 said:

Is the EC Rye going to be a step between Rittenhouse and Pikesville? Or above Pikesville?
I am a fan of Elijah Craig products, but do not like their rye. I'll take the OF Rye any day over the EC rye.
Fall92
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Rittenhouse is definitely my #1. It's 100 proof and good to sip if I don't want a cocktail. Other cheap ones I'll switch up with are Bulleit, Sazerac, or Double Rye!

Double Rye!
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Johnsy3
AG
Honestly not a huge fan of the double rye. But I have a double rye Specs pick that was finished in a rum cask and it's incredible
mazag08
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Honestly not a huge fan of the double rye. But I have a double rye Specs pick that was finished in a rum cask and it's incredible

I bought one from a guy on this thread and agree, it's awesome.

My aunt and uncle were at High West a month or so ago and they didn't have a single offering outside of their core line. That, and they said the people working there were rude. Very disappointing.
CactusThomas
AG
Speaking of rye, I'm not really a huge fan of most of them. I like some that are at or near 51% rye. Cornerstone is my favorite but I haven't tried a ton.
Tonight I've opened an old WT Forgiven. So far so good.
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
Not good enough in Houston or most of Texas.
62strat
AG
CastleRock said:

So to score a bottle of ****ing blanton do I just have to be at the ****ing liquor store every day when it opens?
thats not at all how it works in Colorado.

Follow liquor stores on Facebook. Every store that I follow will post when they get that stuff in, and it's any time of the day. Mid morning, Lunch, 5pm, late at night.... so it obviously helps to follow stores you can get to quick, either from work or home. I've never seen them post anything first thing in the am. Shipments don't come first thing, that I can tell. Even if they did, doesn't mean they post it right away.

This is for the blantons, colonial Taylor, stagg jr kind of stuff (eagle rare generally sits a bit around here so it's not typically posted). The more rare like BTAC and pappy stuff is obviously not done like this.
betadawg1
AG
Rare find today. Store actually had 2 Batch 12 & 2 Batch 13 on the shelf. They had to actually wipe the dust off the Batch 12.

Sazerac
AG
Where did you score that? Was a time machine involved?
betadawg1
AG
Sazerac said:

NYC. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a 2017 GTS for $400????
Sazerac
AG
that's lower than I've seen GTS for. if you think any bourbon is worth $400
Sixdrakes
AG
betadawg1 said:

Sazerac said:

NYC. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a 2017 GTS for $400????
Personally, I'd pay the $400 for the 2017 GTS.
First Page Last Page
Page 524 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.