Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,748 Views | 37589 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by SydB92
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpiderDude said:

Gonna let you in on a little tip. Keep your old empty Stagg Jr bottle and pour Rare Breed in there. Nobody'll every know the difference... in fact, they'll likely say "Hey, man... this is the best Stagg ever!"

Really? If so, perhaps you can be on the bench for the Texags barrel selection committee...
CactusThomas
AG
Disagree
MW03
AG
SpiderDude said:

Gonna let you in on a little tip. Keep your old empty Stagg Jr bottle and pour Rare Breed in there. Nobody'll every know the difference... in fact, they'll likely say "Hey, man... this is the best Stagg ever!"

Ha, I actually really like Rare Breed. A long time ago, I got a bottle of GTS on the shelf at MSRP. This was around 2011 or so. The BTAC craze kicked off, and it was getting harder and harder to find those bottles. Then Staff Jr came out. I bought one probably 5+ years ago out of curiosity. Now, I'm trying to find it again to mainly see how my tastes have changed.
tlfw378
AG
Are they the same mash bill at the same proof? I like them both very much. Taste them blind and tell me you can't tell them apart. Especially the proof difference. Or is that just me?
CactusThomas
AG
He's joking around about refilling the bottle. He is just saying you'll like the RB better.

RB is consistently excellent. Jr is anything but consistent and often young; previous batches were harsh. Jr is also sometimes excellent. I do plenty of blind testing with barrel proof bourbons. I have selected Jr over RB in the past and vice versa. To say Spider shouldn't be part of a RR selection because he prefers a WT product over a BT product is where I disagree with you.
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

He's joking around about refilling the bottle. He is just saying you'll like the RB better.

RB is consistently excellent. Jr is anything but consistent and often young; previous batches were harsh. Jr is also sometimes excellent. I do plenty of blind testing with barrel proof bourbons. I have selected Jr over RB in the past and vice versa. To say Spider shouldn't be part of a RR selection because he prefers a WT product over a BT product is where I disagree with you.

I like you. And yes, my comment on refilling the bottle was clearly tongue in cheek.
tlfw378
AG
Interesting. Rare breed will always be found on my shelf. I do have more BT options on the shelf, not because it is better, but because I drink it sparingly because of availability. I was just jabbing at the notion that if someone can't discern the difference...although the power of suggestion is powerful. My bourbon taste isn't better than anyone else's. I do know what I like and what I don't. The list of likes is far and wide.
tlfw378
tlfw378
AG
Gotcha.
AgInSingapore
AG
Just got email notification from Total Wine I was selected for a bottle of OF Birthday Bourbon from their allocation. And to think I remember just going into Specs and grabbing it off the shelf years back as if it was nothing...
07fta07
AG
How do you get on TW's lists? Is it based solely off status or is there somewhere you have to sign up?
AgInSingapore
AG
I am Grand Reserve status in their points program. Once you hit that level (really not hard to do if you take advantage of some of the 5x points deals they have) they will send you random emails to sign up to possibly be selected when allocations of stuff come in (this time around the allocation was the OF Birthday, Blade & Bow 22, Angel's Envy Cask Strength, EHT Amaranth BiB, and Parker's Heritage 8 year rye). So you follow the link in the email and sign up and wait to see if you get selected. Every additional point you add to your status is an additional 'entry'.

I got a THH last time around when they got their BT allocation.

*edited for spelling
CharlieBrown17
AG
Speaking to the getting points bit

I signed up for the first time yesterday and spent 40 bucks. Wasn't expecting that to net 900 points
CactusThomas
AG
Veterans get double points at total wine
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yes and no from what I can tell.

Their site says for spirit direct, winery direct and single beers.

Winery direct stuff is hit or miss. Spirit direct is almost all trash outside of store picks. The doorlys rum is spirit direct though I believe and I enjoy that.

Honestly will get most of my points up here through the beer singles since liquor tax is dumb here.
Sazerac
AG
I'm Grand Reserve.
Must have missed this latest signup....
Didn't get anything in the BTAC.
AggieAuditor
AG
Sazerac said:

I'm Grand Reserve.
Must have missed this latest signup....
Didn't get anything in the BTAC.
BTAC emails haven't gone out yet.
Sazerac
AG
Last years signup. Think they have sold bottles in Feb/March?
AgInSingapore
AG
That is correct, THH for me was from last year's BTAC sign-up. Keeping an eye out for this year's notification seeing as how it is already September...
Agman
AG
Anyone get selected for the Angel's Envy Japanese's Cask? Don't know how it tastes but the bottle alone has me six to midnight.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/latest-angels-envy-bourbon-goes-super-premium-with-mizunara-oak-cask

Sixdrakes
AG
Looking forward to teal hunting and drinks afterwards. Just scored a EHT Barrel Proof and EC Toasted.
Sazerac
AG
Off a shelf?

Great find!
AggBock
AG
Congrats. I was very frustrated today. Watched WB receive EHT BP off truck. One lady told me I could by it as soon as inventory was verified. I waited 20 minutes and then they brought out other stuff but not that. She told me it would be managers descresion when to put it out
Sixdrakes
AG
Sazerac said:

Off a shelf?

Great find!

I showed up just as they were unloading it off the truck.
GarlandAg2012
AG
AggBock said:

Congrats. I was very frustrated today. Watched WB receive EHT BP off truck. One lady told me I could by it as soon as inventory was verified. I waited 20 minutes and then they brought out other stuff but not that. She told me it would be managers descresion when to put it out

Do you follow liquor trucks around every week? Jesus.
AggBock
AG
No. This was just random. I make a run through a few stores on fridays.
Sazerac
AG
Costco BH has Littlebook #4 if anyone is looking.

I was up in spring earlier and the TL off Rayner had several bundles. EHT SmB @ $40 But had to buy $47 of crappy Gin and Cognac.

I'd rather on those bundles they just said "it's $40 but you have to spend $100 total". No problem with that.

Thisguy1
Someone school me on Shenk's. I've never heard of it and my buddy really talked it up.
62strat
AG
Man I'm pissed, my local posted on FB they got in a gold label blanton's.. I'm working from home so immediately hopped in the truck to go there.

liquor buyer tells me a guy just got it a few minutes before me. They only got 2, and are keeping the other for something.

Dammit all!
Wheatables02
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Someone school me on Shenk's. I've never heard of it and my buddy really talked it up.

It's really tasty at retail. It's Michters. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

EDIT MINE WAS A 2017 AND RETAIL WAS $40
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll take the other side on shenks. The bottle I have is from 18 I believe and was thin and bland.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Saw that edit.

Jesus Christ can't believe MSRP is 80 now?? That's what I'm seeing in reviews.

I paid 50ish and was annoyed. I'd be mad at 80.
jwhitlock3
TGIF Ags! Short weeks seem twice as hard for some reason. For those in CS, Specs on Texas has little bottles of Eagle Rare up front if you ask the manager.
jetch17
AG
The Shenks at smith street specs today was $75
Sixdrakes
AG
Solid day today on the west side of Houston

First Page Last Page
Page 522 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.