Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,022 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never blinded it against anything, but by memory would agree OF 1920 beats all of those you listed. That's coming from a big four roses fan. Imo it's beats them quite easily, with the exception of a good antique 107 store pick
dmart90
AG
I recall not being overly impressed with OF 1920. I'll have to go back and try it again. I am fond of the OF Single Barrel, however.
lazuras_dc
AG
Looking at my notes OWA was the only close one to 1920 but just didn't have quite the distinct flavors of the 1920. Then after having both of those the 4r just had some off flavor that wasn't terrible but just not quite right. The blantons was sweet but tasted a little watered down after the 1920 and the OWA naturally. I guess it's all relative. I didn't blind 1920 directly with w12 but from memory I liked OWA more than w12 so by default I wrote 1920 beating OWA. EHT siB was excellent but might be a little sweet.
Bigfootisreal
austinag1997 said:

FriedTex said:

Yep, it's reaaaalllyy good

Welp, our friends at Del Mesa have a decent combo deal. 1 bottle of Batch B520, and 1 bottle of EC Small Batch for $99.

Just Sayin'

And I procured four (4) more bottles of Batch B520 from a friend. Sitting in NOLA right now.
Thanks for the heads up! I did this and their service was great. Have not broken into the B520 but had some of the small batch. Gotta say it was very enjoyable! I used to drink the EC12 all the time until they stopped, but was never impressed with small batch. Either I got a great bottle or my taste buds changed but it seemed to be just as good as Buffalo or Eagle Rare, readily available for around $30. Gonna stay in my rotation! Come on Friday for the BP
agcrock2005
AG
Wow, this thread has gained some COVID weight too...about 100 pages since the start. I want the old thread back.
Sazerac
AG
Sazerac said:

You think they were selected post barrel?
Huh, didn't know that was a thing.

Anyways I will do a taste test and report back

Verdict:
Very similar across the board. Both delicious.
AgDev01
AG
I've stocked up on a few bottles of 1792 Single Barrel "pick" and found a 1792 BiB last week. Hopefully the Full Proof hits here soon, havent had it yet.

Tried the Old Tub recently as well. It definitely has the peanut flavor and certainly not a bad pour for <20 bucks.
AGdent07
AG
Finally picked one of these up and can see why so many of you like it. I could see this becoming one of my regulars.
Sazerac
AG
Regular?
I never see that bottle. Keep lookin though....
Sour mash and the sherry litter the shelves though.

jh0400
AG
Pretty sure it's been discontinued.
AGdent07
AG
Sazerac said:

Regular?
I never see that bottle. Keep lookin though....
Sour mash and the sherry litter the shelves though.

My store had three on the shelves. I see it fairly regular around here.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Believe they're going to a single proof offering instead of variance in batches. Could be wrong.
HouseDivided06
AG
Yeah buy em up now. They're transitioning to Belle Meade Reserve and bottling it at 108.8 but still charging $65 or so retail. It's a bummer because that's been my favorite readily available bottle for about a year. I love it
SpiderDude
AG
CactusThomas said:

How would you describe the one note?

Roasted peanut, caramel corn, cherry cola, orange citrus peel, leather and tobacco on the finish. That's one helluva note.
CactusThomas
AG
Yeah, I'm drinking a '15 year' store pick. Its not my favorite KC but there's a lot going on with it for sure.
Fall92
AG
1920 and OWA are my go-tos right now. Both outstanding although the latter is hard to find.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Chipotlemonger
AG
Some of my favorite bourbons were store pick single barrel 9 and 10 year cask strength Belle Meade. Wish I still had some, they delivered.
Agman
AG
Anyone been able to try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel yet?
AggieAuditor
AG
Agman said:

Anyone been able to try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel yet?
Picked up some from Debs here in Austin yesterday. I'm not a reviewer so I'm not even going to try with all the dried fruit, cut hay, corinthian leather, etc. BS.

I enjoyed the smell (oaky I guess?) but didn't really enjoy the taste. I noticed the difference in the toasted flavor, but thought it was pretty bland overall. I followed it with a store pick EC pour that I've been sipping for a while and it had much better flavor, IMO.
CactusThomas
AG
Did they have more at Debs?
AggieAuditor
AG
CactusThomas said:

Did they have more at Debs?
I went to the North shop at 183 and Lake Creek. She had a few more as of yesterday but can't vouch for today.

I've seen a couple of people post today that they found one at the main shop near 183/Braker. Also looks like OLC has some.

Keep in mind that Debs will be a little higher than retail.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is sounding like it's an oakier, spicier Woodford Double Oaked.

Good thing it will be almost impossible to find.

I just scored one. I'll break it out tonight and share my thoughts.
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks for the help. My buddy was able to pick up the last one at Debs.
ClickClack
AG
Sipping on some George T Stagg at my local cigah bah. First time to have it.
dmart90
AG
ClickClack said:

Sipping on some George T Stagg at my local cigah bah. First time to have it.

GTS is the nuts! One of my all time favorites. I will be very sad when my bottle is done.
Sazerac
AG
Sippin a Cheap Handy

Really want to try Stagg and Jr
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

mazag08 said:

Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel is sounding like it's an oakier, spicier Woodford Double Oaked.

Good thing it will be almost impossible to find.

I just scored one. I'll break it out tonight and share my thoughts.

It's good. It's got a nice nuttiness...a bit like marzipan. A bit of plumb. Oak is present but not overpowering. It packs a bit more heat than you'd expect for a 94 proof. It's not a particularly long finish. It's not a dry as the small batch pick I have for comparison. It's good but I wouldn't chase it down again and definitely wouldn't pay more than the $50 it cost me.
SpiderDude
AG
Would you believe me if I told you my BiL scored 2 George T Staggs, a 2019 4R Limited Edition Small Batch and a MWND in a single purchase today??? All at msrp.
AggBock
AG
No. Don't those only come out at Christmas?
Sazerac
AG
No. I wouldn't.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Love marzipan!
MW03
AG
Noah's Mill to end my week since I'm taking a day off. Suits me just fine.
AggieBarstool
Nope.
RaylanGivens
Nope, lies, all lies...lol
RaylanGivens
NM
First Page Last Page
Page 515 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.