Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,754 Views | 37589 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by SydB92
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Naveronski
AG
I was sittping on it during the OB HH tonight. Very yummy.
mazag08
AG
Naveronski said:

I was sittping on it during the OB HH tonight. Very yummy.
I can tell
Naveronski
AG
Si[pping
Naveronski
AG
sipping
mazag08
DDSO
John Francis Donaghy
Farmer1906 said:

I bought one a whiiiile back. Gave it several try's and don't get why it's popular on here. I guess we each have our own tastes. I feel the same about Henry McKinna 10 BIB.

Y'all have some popular pours y'all just don't care for? I can't be the only one.
Definitely not the only one. For me it's anything Weller. And most of the Van Winkle line. Guess I'm just not a wheat fan.
the dude10
AG
For me it's actually knob creek. Every once in awhile I'm in the mood for it but typically it just hits very one-note for me. Feel the same way about McKenna 10.
SpiderDude
AG
the dude10 said:

For me it's actually knob creek. Every once in awhile I'm in the mood for it but typically it just hits very one-note for me.

You shut your mouth!!! ;P
ILikeTacos
AG
SpiderDude said:

If I was making a list of best value bourbons under $25 it would be:
Early Times
Old Grandad Bonded (114 can also be had under $25)
Old Tub

All of these are great for the money and enjoyable mixed or even straight. I hope I can continue to find Old Tub around. It's good stuff.

I just tried Old Tub this past week and was blown away by it for the price point. Now I can't find it anywhere...
jh0400
AG
I actually like Tom Moore BiB as the best for the money. At $22 per 1.75 L it's a steal.
the dude10
AG
I thought someone might come in with that response. I have weird taste buds anyway lol
SweaterVest
AG
I saw several bottles of it on the shelf at WB at the Bunker Hill Costco yesterday. Then had to make a beer run to a mom and pop last night and there were several bottles on the shelf there well.
SpiderDude
AG
the dude10 said:

I thought someone might come in with that response. I have weird taste buds anyway lol

Np. KC 120 might be my favorite bottle. I have several.
07fta07
AG
I grabbed the TW pick KC 120 last week. Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but I really like the KC picks. All the ones I've had have been older, but I'm looking forward to trying this one.
Sazerac
AG
I notice the KC120 I have yet to open has a 9 yr age.

But I have a KC single barrel select that is also 120 that has a barrel date of 2005 selected in 2019. So at least 14 yr old. THAT is a fantastic pour.

Gonna have to do a comparison....
John Francis Donaghy
Sazerac said:

I notice the KC120 I have yet to open has a 9 yr age.

But I have a KC single barrel select that is also 120 that has a barrel date of 2005 selected in 2019. So at least 14 yr old. THAT is a fantastic pour.

Gonna have to do a comparison....

Maybe 14, but also may have been vatted prior to 14 years. Not sure if Beam vats KC or not. Maybe someone here knows.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Knob Creek is fine. I'd agree with one note though.

The store picks that were 12+ years recently are a good value
CactusThomas
AG
How would you describe the one note?
Sazerac
AG
You think they were selected post barrel?
Huh, didn't know that was a thing.

Anyways I will do a taste test and report back

CharlieBrown17
AG
Bourbon-y

It's probably been 8 months since I've had KC but I don't remember it being a complex bourbon at all.

2 note better for ya?
07fta07
AG
I've had a couple 14 year picks. They're excellent. Hoping the 9 year at least gets close.
John Francis Donaghy
Sazerac said:

Maybe. Not sure if Beam generally vats KC or not, but distilleries often dump barrels that are at risk of becoming over oaked into steel vats to stop the aging process when they aren't ready to bottle it up and sell it quite yet. So it's possible the bourbon didn't spend all 14 of those years in an aging barrel.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Sazerac said:

Maybe. Not sure if Beam generally vats KC or not, but distilleries often dump barrels that are at risk of becoming over oaked into steel vats to stop the aging process when they aren't ready to bottle it up and sell it quite yet. So it's possible the bourbon didn't spend all 14 of those years in an aging barrel.
Pretty sure they stop the clock when theyre dumped
John Francis Donaghy
Ducks4brkfast said:

Sazerac said:

I know they do for labeling purposes, but if they just have the barreled on and selected on dates on the bottle, and you're just counting the years between the two yourself to come up with the age, I would think that's a possibility. Could certainly be wrong about that though.
Ducks4brkfast
AG

Ducks4brkfast said:

Sazerac said:

I know they do for labeling purposes, but if they just have the barreled on and selected on dates on the bottle, and you're just counting the years between the two yourself to come up with the age, I would think that's a possibility. Could certainly be wrong about that though.
Don't think I've ever seen a picked on date
Pasquale Liucci
AG
JD Single Barrel is excellent. I've got no issues bagging on their black label while simultaneously enjoying this one. I had the same skepticism as you initially but it's a good one.
John Francis Donaghy
Ducks4brkfast said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Sazerac said:

That's what Beam does with the KC Select line. They don't have an actual age statement, they just list the barreled on date and the date it was selected for bottling.

Always seemed like sly marketing to me to label it that way. Good way to label something that might only qualify for a 9 or 10 year age statement, in a way that makes people think it's older. But I freely admit that's assumption on my part.
Ducks4brkfast
AG

Ducks4brkfast said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Sazerac said:

That's what Beam does with the KC Select line. They don't have an actual age statement, they just list the barreled on date and the date it was selected for bottling.

Always seemed like sly marketing to me to label it that way. Good way to label something that might only qualify for a 9 or 10 year age statement, in a way that makes people think it's older. But I freely admit that's assumption on my part.
Yep, just looked and see that now. I'll check to see if they dump the day they're selected.
CactusThomas
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Bourbon-y

It's probably been 8 months since I've had KC but I don't remember it being a complex bourbon at all.

2 note better for ya?

I was just curious, wasn't trying to call you out or anything. To me it seems pretty balanced with plenty of both sweet and spicy notes. Not saying it's super complex, just balanced.

I'll probably be 6' under ground when I go 8 months without KC.
Sazerac
AG
The KC notes specifically says Picked

Thinking they may pull it from barrels early though. That makes sense.
ClickClack
AG
SpiderDude said:

If I was making a list of best value bourbons under $25 it would be:
Early Times
Old Grandad Bonded (114 can also be had under $25)
Old Tub

All of these are great for the money and enjoyable mixed or even straight. I hope I can continue to find Old Tub around. It's good stuff.

Just picked up Old Tub for the first time, based on your recommendation. Excited to try it.

Also got some 1792 Full Proof. Was pleasantly surprised to see that on the shelf.
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm starting to become a big OF 1920 believer as well. I've been blinding OF 1920 against all the whiskey I own and so far it's beaten them all (w12, 4r sib, weller antique, EHT sib, blanton, ryes)
Sazerac
AG
that's a bold statement!
guess I'll pick up a bottle. haven't cared for the rest of the OF lineup.
First Page Last Page
Page 514 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.