Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,742 Views | 38380 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by AugustusGloop
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My BiL scored a Weller Antique and EHT Rye at a Twin today. They had a Blood Oath and Willet Rye on the shelf. They also had handles of Baby Saz. He and I went back to take a second look... watched not one but 2 Blanton's walk off right in front of us. They must have had an allocated release today. Pissed I watched 2 Blanton's walk right under my nose but happy he scored what he did. I grabbed a Rare Breed Rye (clerk said I got the better deal but still pissed I barely missed the Blanton's).
Latrobe
AG
Please tell me this wasn't in Spring
SpiderDude
AG
No. Austin.
SpiderDude
AG
If I was making a list of best value bourbons under $25 it would be:
Early Times
Old Grandad Bonded (114 can also be had under $25)
Old Tub

All of these are great for the money and enjoyable mixed or even straight. I hope I can continue to find Old Tub around. It's good stuff.
AGdent07
AG
Where are you located? Ive got multiples specs in my area with several bottles
mazag08
AG
SpiderDude said:

Early Times
Old Tub

All of these are great for the money and enjoyable mixed or even straight. I hope I can continue to find Old Tub around. It's good stuff.
Old Forrester 100
Larceny
Very Old Barton 100
Four Roses
Wild Turkey 101
Jim Beam Black
Evan WIlliams SiB
lazuras_dc
AG
Early Times bottled in bond is legit for the price and right at , if not below the $25 budget
MW03
AG
It's a 1L bottle too
SpiderDude
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Early Times bottled in bond is legit for the price and right at , if not below the $25 budget

I think it's on sale at OLC for $19.99.
SpiderDude
AG
AGdent07 said:

Where are you located? Ive got multiples specs in my area with several bottles

Yes, I've seen it plenty... I'm referring more to it being available in the future.
FriedTex
AG
SpiderDude said:

lazuras_dc said:

Talk me through the flavor profile
agcrock2005
AG
Nm.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
mazag08 said:

SpiderDude said:

Early Times
Old Tub

Old Forrester 100
Larceny
Very Old Barton 100
Four Roses
Wild Turkey 101
Jim Beam Black
Evan WIlliams SiB

My go to's
lazuras_dc
AG
FriedTex said:

SpiderDude said:

lazuras_dc said:

If you want a professional review here: https://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/early-times-bottled-bond-review/

If you want my take : cheap bourbon that doesn't make you go yeuugh
betadawg1
AG
A good couple of days.
MW03
AG
FriedTex said:

SpiderDude said:

lazuras_dc said:

I've been honking Early Times BiB for a while now, and the best way I could describe its flavor profile is "classic". Smooth, sweet, caramel and cinnamon with some oak and a hint of spice. Super easy drinking. It's a 100 proof bourbon that drinks like an 80 proof. I enjoy it neat, on the rocks, or in cocktails. I think I've recommended it to everyone I know that drinks bourbon.
Sazerac
AG
Never even heard of those Kosher offerings
CrottyKid
AG
The straight rye kosher is good.
AggieMPH2005
Does anyone have an interest in a Knob Creek 25th anniversary?

Had two, Still have one Unopened I'd be happy to sell or trade.

Update: it's actually the limited edition 2001, 100 proof, bottled in 2016. No. 6384, batch 3
07fta07
AG
Definitely. 85bk zero 7. Gmail.
Sazerac
AG
What's the proof? Any age?
AggieMPH2005
I'll get it when I get home tonight
ThatOneGuy
AG
What are y'all's thoughts on jack daniels single barrel barrel proof? I was out in Colorado this weekend and found a bottle that I hadn't seen on Houston shelves before. I have been a bit of a jack Daniels hater for awhile but thought this bottle was excellent at 130 proof.

Also managed to snag an ECBP and passed on a blood oath and some bourye. All at MSRP. Houston seems to be a tough bourbon market. The last two trips I have made out of state have yielded some really nice bottles with minimal effort just stopping at one or two shops.
SpiderDude
AG
betadawg1 said:

A good couple of days.

Where's that George Remus pick from?
jetch17
AG
im guessing the Blind Pig pick as the Whistle is another one of thiers. BP dropped thier Remus on Friday. I may be going by there to day for hurricane rations, wonder if they have any left...
betadawg1
AG
SpiderDude said:

betadawg1 said:

A good couple of days.

Where's that George Remus pick from?

The Blind Pig
Sazerac
AG
just saw Remus in Houston at Goody Goody San Felipe. Had a handful on the shelf but I passed.
dmart90
AG
It's 5:00!

Just cracked open a bottle of Knob Creek Twice Barreled Rye Limited Release. It was ~$75 at Avery Ranch Wine and Spirits in north Austin. It is oak flavor forward, but not over powering at all. Then it gets a little sweet - almost caramely. And nice spice heat going down. It's tasty; just not sure it's $75 tasty.

Edit: As the big ice cube melts, the rye gets a bit more buttery. Very bourbon-like.
showtime
AG
I'm a fan.
Baby Billy
AG
Actually never tried Russell Reserve 10 year before. Scooped a bottle at OLC last week and really really enjoy it. Not much spice, pretty vanilla-ey, which I like.
mazag08
AG
Finally bough Old Forester 1920. Y'all were right. High proof, lots of heat, needs a couple ice cubes... but good lord that mix of oak and cherry cola is hard to beat. At $50, it's easily one of the most under appreciated bourbons that sits on shelves.
Farmer1906
AG
I bought one a whiiiile back. Gave it several try's and don't get why it's popular on here. I guess we each have our own tastes. I feel the same about Henry McKinna 10 BIB.

Y'all have some popular pours y'all just don't care for? I can't be the only one.
Bunk Moreland
We differ on all. It's what makes it great. OF has some good pours and others that just don't agree with me at all.
DDSO
AG
I was like that with Eagle Rare. It's ok for 30 bucks but doesn't do much for me.
mazag08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I bought one a whiiiile back. Gave it several try's and don't get why it's popular on here. I guess we each have our own tastes. I feel the same about Henry McKinna 10 BIB.

Y'all have some popular pours y'all just don't care for? I can't be the only one.

You're probably the type that would prefer the 1897, which was meant to be a recreation of the first bottled in bond bourbon. The 1920 was meant to be a recreation of their recipe from the prohibition era. From what I've heard, the 1897, and to an extent, the 1910, have a lot more of the classic bourbon oak. The 1920 is a completely different flavor. I can't even say I've had it anywhere else. To me it's unique and fresh, and the dark cherry really appeals to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 513 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.