Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,065 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by betadawg1
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It doesn't have to be $100 I just used that number because the most I've spent is 50-60. Hell the gift card will probably only be $50.
CactusThomas
AG
4R small batch select
Russell's reserve single barrel
Makers private select
Baker's single barrel
Old Forester 1920
lazuras_dc
AG
CactusThomas is pretty spot on. OF 1920 is bad to the bone. I'm a big fan for as available on the shelf as it is.
I'd get one of those + a 4roses small batch or single barrel.

If you wanna spend more on a single bottle- Bookers is an option that's fairly available from what I've seen that may be in the 70-80 range.
mazag08
AG
Noah's Mill is another great option in that price range.
Naveronski
AG
CactusThomas said:

4R small batch select
Russell's reserve single barrel
Makers private select
Baker's single barrel
Old Forester 1920

I picked up a OF1920 and like it.
ClickClack
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I just got a specs gift card, so I want to buy a bottle I wouldn't normally buy because of the price. Cap is $100.

Any suggestions?

Agree with the other guy that if you're trying to buy a nice bottle go for scotch. Balvenie Caribbean cask is quite good.

For bourbon either bookers or a couple bottles of OF1920
CharlieBrown17
AG
Canadian rye is no joke

Not sure what bottle won though.
MW03
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I just got a specs gift card, so I want to buy a bottle I wouldn't normally buy because of the price. Cap is $100.

Any suggestions?
If I had a gift card, I'd buy something off the wall I normally wouldn't. I'll always buy the stuff I know I like, but with a gift card you can roll the dice a little. Something like Whistle Pig 12, Barrell New Year, something like that.

Daytona22
AG
Line up for the weekend on my last boys trip before our first kid arrives. Course we are at had two ounces left on their POH bottle that we finished off as well. Going to be a good weekend!

Superdave1993
AG
I have had two of the small bottles when it was a distillery only product, and I really enjoyed it. A buddy was in Louisiana and grabbed 6 bottles for me, but I have not opened them yet. I still have about 5 bottles of their distillers cut left from a few years ago.

To me it drinks much better than a $20 bottle, and I seem to like the non-chill filtered bourbons more than the others. Their limited releases are different than regular Jim, but it is not what Bookers was when I would still buy it.

Old Tub seems to be the first "limited release" that has gotten a good bit of attention and that is why I grabbed several early on so that I would have a stock pile. I was able to buy the Distiller Cut over a couple of years and they were usually dusty when I bought them. The Repeal Batch was good, but not as good as the other two. I only bought a couple of those, and just kept buying the Distillers Cut.
tlfw378
AG
You will have to tell your thought on the Rhetoric 23. That would be a pour I'd pay for.
MJ20/20
AG
Spec's did a Kentucky Spirit (Wild Turkey( Barrel pick earlier this summer that is still hanging around. I think it's around $60.00. Throw in $20 more and grab 2.
Sazerac
AG
I like the full strength Rare Breed better and it's only $40
MJ20/20
AG
Don't get me wrong, I love Rare Breed. Probably had a glass or two+ of it every night this week.

Kentucky Spirit is a little different in terms of quality and consistency. Which says a lot being a single barrel product. It's basically a single barrel, distillers select of Turkey 101. I can't remember a bad bottle of Kentucky Spirit, I've had several Rare Breeds that weren't up to par. Full disclosure, as a Turkey junkie, par is the highest of standards. I love the stuff.

CactusThomas
AG
Rare Breed is consistent and excellent. The current 116.8 proof is peak Rare Breed in my opinion.

But Kentucky Spirit is always worth keeping around as well. Recently did a blind tasting with KY Spirit, 4R Single Barrel and Blanton's. It was tough to pick a winner but Blanton's was a clear 3rd.

SpiderDude
AG
MJ20/20 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Rare Breed. Probably had a glass or two+ of it every night this week.

Kentucky Spirit is a little different in terms of quality and consistency. Which says a lot being a single barrel product. It's basically a single barrel, distillers select of Turkey 101. I can't remember a bad bottle of Kentucky Spirit, I've had several Rare Breeds that weren't up to par. Full disclosure, as a Turkey junkie, par is the highest of standards. I love the stuff.

WT is arguably the best value brand in KY bourbon.
CactusThomas
AG
There is no question
austinag1997
AG
I really like the Kentucky Spirit... really good value.
Avocado Toast
AG
Anyone every tried the toasted barrel before? Picked it up for $48.
Baby Billy
AG
Finally got to stop into the famous Oak Liquor Cabinet today. Great selection, friendly staff.
CactusThomas
AG
What did you get?
mazag08
AG
Avocado Toast said:

It's pretty new. Somewhat similar to the Woodford double oak in its barrel profile. Please post a full review when you taste it.
Baby Billy
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CDzjcsmF5Nc
Gunner33
Been looking for it, but haven't seen it in the wild.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Anyone try Bardstown yet? They are blending some sourced juice with their own young stuff right now while they get their own aged enough. Tried their three current offerings at my local shop and liked one a lot but they were sold out. Little pricey but their discovery bottle was a blend of 10+ year bourbon.
AGdent07
AG
Avocado Toast said:

Great pick up. I've been hoping to find one. Hadn't seen them drop in Texas yet. Let us know what you think
LPHA
AG
Found one in Iowa for retail. I like it a lot!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Anyone try Bardstown yet? They are blending some sourced juice with their own young stuff right now while they get their own aged enough. Tried their three current offerings at my local shop and liked one a lot but they were sold out. Little pricey but their discovery bottle was a blend of 10+ year bourbon.

Tried a handful of their stuff last time I was in Kentucky. Not impressed and overpriced.
austinag1997
AG
NM
SpiderDude
AG
I love that pick. Love MGP stuff. Sooooo good!
Gunner33
Picked up a 112 proof in Caldwell last night. Still some on the shelf
GarlandAg2012
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Tried a handful of their stuff last time I was in Kentucky. Not impressed and overpriced.

Was that last year? Their 2020 offerings seem to be getting somewhat better pub but who knows how legit that is.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I was there last October. Cool place tho.
austinag1997
AG
So, just curious. Where the heck is this place? I usually stay in Bardstown as my home base. I just dont recall anything but Barton Distillery in Bardstown. When was this thing built?
GarlandAg2012
AG
austinag1997 said:

So, just curious. Where the heck is this place? I usually stay in Bardstown as my home base. I just dont recall anything but Barton Distillery in Bardstown. When was this thing built?

https://www.bardstownbourbon.com/who-we-are/distillery/

Looks like they broke ground in 2015 so they probably opened in '16 or '17.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/distillery-profiles/bardstown-bourbon-company-finds-its-place/
First Page Last Page
Page 512 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.