Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,852,816 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Email jra290 at gmail
Johnsy3
AG
Got a few new bottles recently

Balcones Lineage - obviously tastes very similar to their classic single malt. More cinnamon spice up front on the pallet. Great for $31.

Michter's Rye - this is the first Michter's expression I've actually iallt ever tried. Has much more flavor than the 42.4 ABV would suggest. Flavor disappears quickly if you add ice or water though

Knappogue Castle 12 - haven't tried yet but heard great things. Not much of an Irish whiskey guy but I need something for an Irish-themed tasting coming up with some buddies. It caught my attention that it's finished in bourbon barrels
CrottyKid
AG
The Pepper Rye and Johnny Drum are criminally underrated.

The Pepper 10 year is some of the best I've ever had.
They only make three barrels per day, so it is pretty rare to see any kind of James E. Pepper bottle.

Johnny Drum is my go to.
AggieBarstool
What are you looking for on the Stagg Jr.? Are you in DFW?
AGdent07
AG
CrottyKid said:

The Pepper Rye and Johnny Drum are criminally underrated.

The Pepper 10 year is some of the best I've ever had.
They only make three barrels per day, so it is pretty rare to see any kind of James E. Pepper bottle.

Johnny Drum is my go to.
A friend of mine had recommended those so I picked them both up and just have never gotten around to opening them. Looks like I'm going to have to. Occasionally I see some of the other Pepper line but I haven't sampled any of them either.
AGdent07
AG
AggieBarstool said:

What are you looking for on the Stagg Jr.? Are you in DFW?
Unfortunately no, there was a lot of interest in the Stagg Jr and I made a deal pretty quickly.
RenoAg
Just cracked open a SAOS 10 year bottled in 2015. First taste of SAOS ever of any kind for me. Interesting. Not sure what to make of this yet. Not quite sweet enough for my usual preference. Not spicy enough. 100 proof seems to lack any punch. Has a weird taste that lingers at the end I'm not sure how to describe. But not terrible. I want to like it but I'm not sure I do. Guess I'll have to let it breathe a bit and try some more later.
mazag08
AG
What is SOAS?

I have a hard time keeping up with the acronyms.
HouseDivided06
AG
Smooth Ambler Old Scout
Gunner33
Hearing that Blantons Gold should be hitting the shelves soon.

Also, anyone seen the Wilderness Trail 6 yr?
ThatOneGuy
AG
Had a good day today, grabbed a blood oath pact 6 and Michters 10 rye. I left a bottle of bookers beaten biscuits and Yamazaki 12 behind. Any other day I would have pulled the trigger but I couldn't justify a single purchase that high. The yamazaki was marked at $200 though, so definitely marked up. This was in a small town liquor store that will remain nameless.
mazag08
AG
Yamazaki 12 is not worth $200.

There are a ton of scotches in the $75-$100 range, that you can find on every shelf, that are just as good or better. Don't fall for it.
Johnsy3
AG
Gunner33 said:

Hearing that Blantons Gold should be hitting the shelves soon.

Also, anyone seen the Wilderness Trail 6 yr?

I keep hearing this too. I also want to know when this year's Stagg Jr hits the shelves
austinag1997
AG
third coast.. said:

if i ran a bourbon group anyone that posted bottles for sale from their car, outside the liquor store or outside the distillery would be banned. I am not against flipping, but damn man, at least go home first.

Holy crap... I literally watched this at the Willett Distillery parking lot. They dropped a 25 yr bottle, and the guy couldn't get out of the parking lot, like 25 from the door. What a *****.
AGdent07
AG
ThatOneGuy said:

Had a good day today, grabbed a blood oath pact 6 and Michters 10 rye. I left a bottle of bookers beaten biscuits and Yamazaki 12 behind. Any other day I would have pulled the trigger but I couldn't justify a single purchase that high. The yamazaki was marked at $200 though, so definitely marked up. This was in a small town liquor store that will remain nameless.
I've got a Michters 10 bourbon that I'm about half way through right now. I really enjoy their stuff. Congrats on finding the 10 year rye. I would grab one of those in a heartbeat.
Bunk Moreland
mazag08 said:

There are a ton of scotches in the $75-$100 range, that you can find on every shelf, that are just as good or better. Don't fall for it.

Agree it's not worth $200.

Disagree that there are a ton of scotches at $75-$100 that are just as good or better. There might be 3-5 that are close to as good at that point, but none better imo.
mazag08
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

mazag08 said:

Agree it's not worth $200.

Disagree that there are a ton of scotches at $75-$100 that are just as good or better. There might be 3-5 that are close to as good at that point, but none better imo.

It's been 6 years since I've had it. So perhaps I need a refresher. But I'd likely have to overpay even at a whiskey bar to get a pour, and I just don't remember it being even close to Aberlour A'bunadh, which is currently half the price. But both used to be on the shelf at specs in the $50-$60 range.
tandrus
AG
Was this from Cool Springs Wine & Spirits?
GarlandAg2012
AG
tandrus said:

Was this from Cool Springs Wine & Spirits?
Nope, CorkDork
CharlieBrown17
AG
Great store

Especially the midtown location
Concreteag14
In Telluride for the week. Looking to get my hands on tasting some good juice. Would really like to try any BTAC, anybody have any ideas of where to go? Thanks in advance.
GarlandAg2012
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Great store

Especially the midtown location

Yeah that's where I went. Amazing store but it was just a quick pitstop for me on a road trip. Was overwhelming.
Post removed:
by user
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely is, I usually just hit the middle stacks of cases for store picks and the rum aisle for short stops. Otherwise there's a lot to look at
Concreteag14
Yeah I'm talking about a bar/restaurant.
MOCO9
AG
ThatOneGuy said:

I think I know where you got these... I saw all these at a store on Monday. They also had 3 bottles of Larceny Barrel Proof that are now in my bar.
ThatOneGuy
AG
Thanks for stoking that FOMO
AGdent07
AG
MOCO9 said:

ThatOneGuy said:

I think I know where you got these... I saw all these at a store on Monday. They also had 3 bottles of Larceny Barrel Proof that are now in my bar.
You bought three Larceny BP and left the michters rye? Are you crazy? I would give you three Larceny BP for that single rye. Haha
MOCO9
AG
Yea, I know I thought long and hard about it and decided to go with the three bourbons I really like over one really really good rye for virtually the same price (Rye had a $199.00 price tag on it). Also told myself I'd swing back through next week and see if it was still there. Apparently it will not be! ha
DrFlo
AG
Hey all, long time lurker. Have been following the board for years and have built a collection based primarily off board recommendations. Thank you all

Just a heads up for those who like Barrell Bourbon. Twin liquors in College Station has 5 more bottles of barrel 19 left. Back in the left front corner on the floor

They are also doing a weird pairing where you buy a pair of bottles at what looks like retail. Got a Weller 107,Hancock reserve and George T Stagg. They have a EH Taylor and eagle rare left. FYI it's paired with a $25-45 bottle of wine

Good hunting
CharlieBrown17
AG
Was Stagg with a 45 dollar bottle of wine? Most of the more allocated pairs I've seen have been with a 180++ bottle.
HCYA21
AG
I would buy a random wine to get some George T Stagg at retail for sure.
DrFlo
AG
It was with a Bacardi 2016 Limitada. Not a big rum fan but I don't mind having it in the cabinet. I think it was $106
tlfw378
AG
And then how much for the George T Stagg?
Copp
Not a bad week
First Page Last Page
Page 502 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.