Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,839,007 Views | 38430 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AgCzar
AggBock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WFP dropped in DFW and it was a total $&@t show. I didn't think these ever hit stores. 54 bucks each. Why is it that low? Crazy. No I didn't get one.
aggie7020
AG
Total **** show lol. I did however get a Buffalo Trace store pick today.
07fta07
AG
Picked up a Weller Antique and TW picks of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare in Houston. Those picks hit stores today and were about gone before they hit the shelf it seemed.
agcrock2005
AG
AggBock said:

WFP dropped in DFW and it was a total $&@t show. I didn't think these ever hit stores. 54 bucks each. Why is it that low? Crazy. No I didn't get one.
Because that's what bourbon used to cost before people (not naming names) rushed to the stores because they heard other people liked it and bought it all, decreasing the **** out of supply and thus making the secondary market go bat **** crazy. W12 will also be $30 in some of the big stores if you ever were to happen upon one.
SpiderDude
AG
agcrock2005 said:

AggBock said:

Because that's what bourbon used to cost before people (not naming names) rushed to the stores because they heard other people liked it and bought it all, decreasing the **** out of supply and thus making the secondary market go bat **** crazy. W12 will also be $30 in some of the big stores if you ever were to happen upon one.

Let me know when the secondary bubble pops...
Naveronski
AG
SpiderDude said:

agcrock2005 said:

AggBock said:

It won't as long as people keep getting likes & shares for a bar full of unopened "rare" whiskey.
MW03
AG
I really don't know how you can get home with a new bottle you're excited about and not immediately open it.
AggieBarstool
It won't as long as people keep posting on Facebook with stuff like "OMG WFP just dropped at TW Lewisville!!"
GarlandAg2012
AG
Have a little birthday get together coming up for a buddy turning 30 and some of us were wanting to go in on a bottle to treat him because he loves bourbon. What would you guys buy in the $250-350 (or maybe $400) price range? Planning to start and finish the bottle over the course of a weekend.
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

agcrock2005 said:

AggBock said:

I thought Covid19 might bust it. Instead, secondary prices are up 20-40 percent. All that free money I guess...

And PG 500!
agcrock2005
AG
MW03 said:

I really don't know how you can get home with a new bottle you're excited about and not immediately open it.

Maybe the crotch shot they took on the way home to post on Facebook tainted (yes on purpose) the bottle?
Naveronski
AG
For that price, you could get 2-3 bottles of different, but good, picks. For several guys, that might be an option?

Or are you set on one bottle of "the good stuff"?

I don't know what to suggest either way, but look forward to the replies.
Bunk Moreland
Are we done with trying to get a barrel? Or are we in the process? Sorry I have been busy the last couple weeks and haven't been able to keep up to date.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Naveronski said:

For that price, you could get 2-3 bottles of different, but good, picks. For several guys, that might be an option?

Or are you set on one bottle of "the good stuff"?

I don't know what to suggest either way, but look forward to the replies.

We were looking at a listing for WSR, OWA, ER and McKenna 10 but I don't really wanna pay 225 for that lineup personally. Am I wrong there?
Sixdrakes
AG
you looking at secondary or retail pricing?
SweaterVest
AG
Either way that seems high.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Sixdrakes said:

you looking at secondary or retail pricing?

That was a listing in a secondary site. Not going to put in the work to find stuff like this at retail tbh.
Sixdrakes
AG
For that price range on secondary, your best bet might be a Four Roses Limited Edition. The 2018 and 2019 are both in that range and are good. You could also get a couple Weller Antique NCF store picks for that price. You could also get a Michters Toasted Rye or a couple Michters Barrel Strength Ryes.
SweaterVest
AG
If that's the way you want to go I'd get a bottle of OWA and a bottle of Blanton's on secondary and spend the change on something decent that's on the shelf. Maybe 4R SiB, Rare Breed, Russel's Pick, something like that.

I think the Blanton's hype is silly but it is fun to run through a bottle in a weekend.
Sazerac
AG
Knob 12 or Cask Strength $60
Rare Breed $40
Elijah Craig $30 ($55 for a 1.75)
WT101 or Buffalo Trace $25

You can find all those In 2-3 stops.
Doesn't have the cache' but that's a tasty lineup.

If y'all don't like high proof there are plenty of 90-100 bottles you can switch out for WT101 or Rare Breed.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
There is no retail bourbon worth a **** in that price range. My advice would be to hit up the guy on here that can get Blantons SFTB for $200 shipped. If he's a bourbon guy he'd love that bottle and considering what it is and what it takes to get it here, it's not a bad value.
GarlandAg2012
AG
cclearman said:

Knob 12 or Cask Strength $60
Rare Breed $40
Elijah Craig $30 ($55 for a 1.75)
WT101 or Buffalo Trace $25

You can find all those In 2-3 stops.
Doesn't have the cache' but that's a tasty lineup.

If y'all don't like high proof there are plenty of 90-100 bottles you can switch out for WT101 or Rare Breed.

That's a tasty lineup but our goal is to get him something he wouldn't drink normally which sort of rules out BT and EC. Might grab those for myself though.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

There is no retail bourbon worth a **** in that price range. My advice would be to hit up the guy on here that can get Blantons SFTB for $200 shipped. If he's a bourbon guy he'd love that bottle and considering what it is and what it takes to get it here, it's not a bad value.

That's a good call.

If we decide to go up to $400, can GTS still be had at that price and would you say it's worth it? I've had a pour of it before but never a bottle.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Oh and in honor of page 500 I'm drinking a 1792 Full Proof Store Pick tonight. Almost done!
Sazerac
AG
I was just commenting on the 4 pack you were going to overpay for.

So your goal is to buy one nice bottle from secondary?

Or find $300 worth of rare-ish bottle(s) at retail?
RenoAg
Ducks4brkfast said:

This! Then a Michters Barrel Strength Rye (probably have to go secondary to get one). Anything left over in your budget could then be used to purchase something like an OF1920 locally if you're lucky. Or a Russell's Reserve. Or WT101 if the leftover budget is small. That'd be a great lineup I think. Or you could sub in a 4R store pick of any variety of yeast strains instead of the Michters if you aren't certain about getting a Rye.
GarlandAg2012
AG
cclearman said:

I was just commenting on the 4 pack you were going to overpay for.

So your goal is to buy one nice bottle from secondary?

Or find $300 worth of rare-ish bottle(s) at retail?

We are open to either but leaning towards one bottle, maybe two and have no problem paying secondary for a birthday present. It's 6 guys for a 3 day weekend but we'll be drinking a ton of beer too.
MW03
AG
Knob Creek Cask Rye here
Sixdrakes
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

That's a good call.

If we decide to go up to $400, can GTS still be had at that price and would you say it's worth it? I've had a pour of it before but never a bottle.
Not anymore
Sixdrakes
AG
Parkers Heritage Collection 11 Year Single Barrel is at about $300-$325 on secondary and is a great bottle.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Sixdrakes said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

That's a good call.

Not anymore

I see a 2019 GTS with 2 bottles of Basil Hayden for 475...total rip off? He does like Basil Hayden so it might work.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Parkers Heritage Collection 11 Year Single Barrel is at about $300-$325 on secondary and is a great bottle.

Awesome, thanks.
SweaterVest
AG
That puts your GTS right art $400, if that's what you're looking for.
GarlandAg2012
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Sixdrakes said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

That's a good call.

Not anymore

I see a 2019 GTS with 2 bottles of Basil Hayden for 475...total rip off? He does like Basil Hayden so it might work.

It's actually a BH dark rye and a BH 10 year so doesn't seem like a horrible deal
SweaterVest
AG
Not at all if GTS is what you're after. Should like you'll have a solid weekend lined up.
First Page Last Page
Page 500 of 1099

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.