Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,260 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ryeguy
HCYA21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious what batch you tried? A119 sucked, relatively speaking (Booker's is better, like you said). B519 is really damn good. I haven't seen it since.
ClickClack
AG
Just checked it's A120
HCYA21
AG
Ha - maybe the A batches all suck. I'd take most booker's over my A batch for sure.
FriedTex
AG
ClickClack said:

I can get ECBP readily here but I like Bookers a lot more. I just am not wowed by ECBP like I thought I'd be. Anyone else?

what I have now is A120

Same here, the lower proof versions are good (115-125) but the ones in the 130s are a touch harsh. I put a touch of water in them to open it up a bit.

We are flush with them here
Post removed:
by user
LPHA
AG
I'm jealous. I've seen exactly 1 in a Houston liquor store, marked up or otherwise, since I got more into bourbon in the last few years.
HCYA21
AG
What's the rule here on sharing locations? I'm not greedy.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's encouraged!

Except with that ***** nozzle that's selling everything he can find.
HCYA21
AG
Fry road and I10 (Katy area) liquor store next door to Randall's. $90 for b520.
LPHA
AG
My personal opinion is that I'd rather not give up my regular store in the open forum but I'm happy to share privately, especially with how great 99% of people in this thread have been
LPHA
AG
I went and picked up the last 2 2020-01 they had. I'll probably open one of them but if you're down in Houston any time in the relative near future, one is yours for my cost ($93 after tax).
Latrobe
AG
Latrobe said:

LPHA said:

Just don't try to sell us Blanton's that you've been hoarding for years for $150 a bottle and then claim some BS about market price.

Haha, nope. I drink what I have and love trying anything I can get.

I have a couple bottles of Balcones Texas Bock. There are some folks who love that stuff but I just couldn't get there with it. I'm not looking to make money, just looking to trade the bottles to someone who enjoyed it (especially since it's off the shelf now, with no plans to bottle it again).

Both bottles spoken for. That worked well!
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Nice. It's a solid whiskey. Not my favorite and wouldn't make it an everyday drinker but was a nice change of pace.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Can we get an update on the survey? I'm an OWA fanatic but know that's probably not a possibility. Hoping RR is the prevailing pick and dying to know what the board consensus is
Daytona22
AG
Top four are:

Four Roses
Weller antique 107
Old Forester BP
Russell's Reserve

We have had 76 people respond.
Bunk Moreland
Fine with any of those.
djmeen95
AG
Daytona22 said:

Top four are:

Four Roses
Weller antique 107
Old Forester BP
Russell's Reserve

We have had 76 people respond.

Pasquale Liucci
AG
Yep. Would be awesome regardless of which way it goes
Post removed:
by user
agcrock2005
AG
third coast.. said:

agcrock2005 said:

Lol. No. People buying up **** loads of bourbon that is hard to find in order to sell on secondary really annoys me. I give him a hard time because I offered to invite AggBock into a DFW facebook group about 3 months ago and ever since then he posts several times a week (sometimes several times a day) doing fireballs trying to make a crap ton of money. A lot of them end in "Closed LOI" because he's trying to make too much money. So it annoys me when he posts about his "haul" when I know that he's just going to put it on FB to try to make money.

But isnt this the same as any scarce product? People fund their season tickets on here by selling bama or lsu seats all the time. There are loads of things that people buy up to resell. Hell, theres a secondary market for trader Joe's everything but the bagel seasoning. The only reason people get up in arms about bourbon is because they wish it were them that had those bottles, whether that is for drinking or because there is easy money to be made. This **** that sells for a ton isnt some tobacco and vanilla flavored liquid gold. There are tons and tons of bottles out there that are as good or better than the hype train **** for a fraction of the secondary cost.
I don't think you read my whole post.
John Francis Donaghy
third coast.. said:

agcrock2005 said:

Lol. No. People buying up **** loads of bourbon that is hard to find in order to sell on secondary really annoys me. I give him a hard time because I offered to invite AggBock into a DFW facebook group about 3 months ago and ever since then he posts several times a week (sometimes several times a day) doing fireballs trying to make a crap ton of money. A lot of them end in "Closed LOI" because he's trying to make too much money. So it annoys me when he posts about his "haul" when I know that he's just going to put it on FB to try to make money.

But isnt this the same as any scarce product? People fund their season tickets on here by selling bama or lsu seats all the time. There are loads of things that people buy up to resell. Hell, theres a secondary market for trader Joe's everything but the bagel seasoning. The only reason people get up in arms about bourbon is because they wish it were them that had those bottles, whether that is for drinking or because there is easy money to be made. This **** that sells for a ton isnt some tobacco and vanilla flavored liquid gold. There are tons and tons of bottles out there that are as good or better than the hype train **** for a fraction of the secondary cost.

You're right, lots of folks want the front row seats on the 50 yard line. But that doesn't mean they want to be friends with the ******* scalping the tickets at 10x face.
strohag
AG
I don't understand the secondary market and super high prices for bourbon. I'm enjoying trying new bottles that are available. If they happen to become the new hot thing and get too expensive or hard to find then I'll find the next good bottle of booze.

If people are willing to pay for it then more power to capitalism but I do think it's a crappy move to buy a case of something and sit on it hoping to turn a profit one day. I guess if you have the time to do that and the need for the money then more power to you. I'd rather buy a couple of bottles and try to trade the other one here for something I don't have yet. I already don't have room for the collection I'm building so hoarding multiple bottles In hopes of turning a profit just isn't appealing.
jh0400
AG
There are a few bottles that should be more collector's items because of their rarity (EHT Tornado bottle, Booker's Rye, AH Hirsch), but people paying 5-10x retail for stuff that a) they're making more of and b) is available by the pour at a decent restaurant or bar is nuts to me.
StEdsCOOG
I've got a handful of rare bottles that I bought at retail from a good friend that I'm treating as long term investments. I stick to my usual guns of Blanton's, any four roses and ETL so the urge to open them isn't there with the exception of one. Maybe I'll drink it for a special occasion if I can acquire a second one.
RGRAg1/75
AG
dmart90 said:

And just finished this bottle. Been nursing it along for about 4 years. Soooooo good.

Thx to this post I snagged a bottle I saw at specs yesterday while in for some tequila. Looking forward to first pour.
Goodest Poster
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

dmart90 said:

And just finished this bottle. Been nursing it along for about 4 years. Soooooo good.

Thx to this post I snagged a bottle I saw at specs yesterday while in for some tequila. Looking forward to first pour.

Extreme luck there. Thats a hard one to find
RGRAg1/75
AG
jftx04 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

dmart90 said:

Extreme luck there. Thats a hard one to find

Upon further inspection, I didn't get that Limited Release, rather the Small Batch.
SweaterVest
AG
Still not a bad pour. I like the rye too.
RenoAg
cclearman said:

I'm interested in a couple of things. Post what you have!
OK boys... I have decided to part with... 2015 ORVW, EHTBP 135.4, 2014 ETL Death bottle, 2014 ETL Single Barrel Select, Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet, 2013 OFBB, 2017 Weller12 1.75, Booker's Rye bottle 3216, JEF20, 2013 PVW20, WhistlePig Boss Hogg III The Independent.

I have some other bottles that I am debating on keeping instead of selling that are not quite as pricey for the most part but are still not easy to find aside from secondary, mainly with the intent of possibly sharing at some tastings local to Htown for us. Some of these I've never tasted myself. These are 2015 Michter's 10, 2014 ORVW, 2015 Weller 12 and OWA - both 1.75s and old label, 2016 RHF, OB Barterhouse, 2013 VSOF12, Knob Creek 25th Anniversary, 1792 Sweet Wheat.

I've got other things that I'm keeping for myself.

I will say that I just researched data on BSM and have a fairly good idea what recent secondary sales have brought on these. I'm not looking for absolute top dollar on the things I have decided to part with. But I do have a floor and it is not crazy low. Depending on the bottle, it may be roughly 70-90% of market. I don't think that is unfair. I also don't think you boys would sell your homes for less than market and nobody questions what you bought it for originally as it is somewhat irrelevant. I realize this is not the same thing. I just wanted to put that out there now. In case anyone was expecting a total fire sale. You can disagree with current valuations if you want and I will agree upfront that they are outrageous, but I didn't create the market. If this upsets you, please just don't even inquire. I can easily dispose of these for more.

Oh and anyone wanting my handle of Willett Pot Still that was gifted to me, I'll take fitty bucks!

AlaskanAg if you are still here --- I have a couple of slightly older ECBPs. Older bottle style and label. A 139.4 and a 136. As I recall, those were your jam. They aren't my favorite. You got dibs. And I won't make you pay more than what I got them for at retail. The rest of you foolz gonna have to step up a little bit though if he passes and you want one of them. Or I might keep one for a tasting anyway.

Anyone wanting to obtain the things I listed, hit me up at ... and just like that, it was gone.
07fta07
AG
streetfighter2012
AG
Email sent
Post removed:
by user
ThatOneGuy
AG
I picked up a Knob Creek cask strength rye batch 2 today at Total Wine in the Galleria. I hadn't seen it on the shelf there before. Looking forward to comparing it to the Rare Breed rye I got the other day.
Fallisfun16
They didn't happen to have any OWA 107 did they? Went a couple weeks ago and they had sold out not long before I stopped by
ThatOneGuy
AG
No, I have never seen it in the wild.
First Page Last Page
Page 493 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.