Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,860,967 Views | 38622 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Tom Cardy
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're not available in stores. We pick and buy the entire barrel. Stays 100% within the group.
Sazerac
AG
Cool. They will let the public buy a barrel and they bottle and ship to TX? How does that work?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yep. Just find a likka store to clear it through. All distilleries do it.
mazag08
AG
Just picked up my own Bookers Granny Batch (last one was for father in law).

Also grabbed Bourbon Barrel batch 20. Can't believe it's even on the shelf. One of the best small batch offerings I've tried. Pretty sure they are already on batch 24.
Bunk Moreland
Anyone had Joseph Magnus before?

Saw it on the shelf at a nice store in the middle of nowhere. But luckily I'm staying 5 minutes from nowhere for the 4th.

Had 2 bottles left, right next to a bottle of WP Boss Hog. Reviews seem mixed and at that price point I'm not sure I want to take the shot.

They also have 1 bottle left of FR Small Batch Select that I think I'll scoop up tomorrow.
HouseDivided06
AG
It's fine. I bought it for my ex brother in law for Christmas one year. Not sure I'd drop $100 on it again though. Frankly there are other bourbons are $60 that I'd prefer. Others opinions might differ though
Farmer1906
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

It's fine. I bought it for my ex brother in law for Christmas one year. Not sure I'd drop $100 on it again though. Frankly there are other bourbons are $60 that I'd prefer. Others opinions might differ though

Pretty much this. It's good. Unique. Wouldn't spend 50 on it again let alone 100.
mazag08
AG
Here's a Boulevardier with aperol substituted in place of Campari. I actually like it better.

Edit to add.. I used Woodford rye. $10 more than most cocktail eyes, but it kicks ass.
Bunk Moreland
That's what I I figured. I'll pass. Headed to a few stores in a small(ish) town tomorrow look around while seeing a friend. He has snagged me some solid bottles there before so I want to go see what they're working with.
RK
AG
cclearman said:

Final CS update
Libations Bryan - nada
WB Bryan - nada
Big's - wow this place was awesome! Except everything was secondary prices! Tried to charge $75 For ER and $120 for EHT B and Rye.

Had some awesome stuff for "sale" though and his private collection on display

My buddy called the store today and the dude said he sold the EC18, EC23 and Old Fitz. Unreal. Can't imagine what was paid. But I'm not hating...if you want the bottle and have the cash, get after it.
CactusThomas
AG
mazag08 said:

Also grabbed Bourbon Barrel batch 20. Can't believe it's even on the shelf. One of the best small batch offerings I've tried. Pretty sure they are already on batch 24.

20 is good but have you tried 21 and 23?
SpiderDude
AG
Rossville Union. This is good juice. Love me some MGP. This might be my new high end daily drinker. Better than that other bottle it's pictured with.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
New to the bourbon game so obviously want some Buffalo Trace allocations, but other than that what y'all recommend for a new guy? Is Masters keep worth it? Should I try EC or 4 roses first?

I'll hang up and listen
HouseDivided06
AG
Interesting, need to give that a shot. Easy to find on the shelves or have to luck into it? What's it run?
SpiderDude
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

Interesting, need to give that a shot. Easy to find on the shelves or have to luck into it? What's it run?

Stacked 7 deep at OLC just collecting dust. It's MGP's new(ish) in-house brand. $59.99. I decided I'd stared at it long enough lol.
SpiderDude
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna said:

New to the bourbon game so obviously want some Buffalo Trace allocations, but other than that what y'all recommend for a new guy? Is Masters keep worth it? Should I try EC or 4 roses first?

I'll hang up and listen

Is Masters Keep worth it? Yes and no. I'd worry about trying different stuff before paying anything near or over $100 a bottle. If you're curious about WT I'd try Rare Breed and/or Russell's Reserve SiB (picks of it are even better). Heaven Hill does some good stuff. MGP juice is always on my menu. Personally I love Knob Creek SiB's. Try a 4R Small Batch Select.
HouseDivided06
AG
Roger that. I'm in Dallas but might need to do some looking tomorrow for the holiday weekend. Always love a good recommendation
Bunk Moreland
For me personally I would take Elijah Craig over Four Roses.

At the same price point I'd take Evan Williams Single Barrel over both.
CactusThomas
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna said:

I'll hang up and listen

I look forward to and buy Master's Keep every year to me its worth it. But for someone new to bourbon I would try out other stuff instead.

Eagle Rare
Wild Turkey 101
EC
Knob Creek
4R small batch

These are all very good bourbons. Get to know the differences in these, find out what you like, then start worrying about harder to find and more expensive stuff. Just my suggestion.
Bunk Moreland
Also I agree with spider. Figure out what you like and move in from there. And you'll go through stages too. You'll like certain tastes at different times than others and that's OK. No need to buy a 60 dollar bottle because other people like it.

Only bad person to talk bourbon with is a snob. I definitely have a class of bourbon I wouldn't mix (other than ice) vs what I would. But I wouldnt ever hold it against someone who thought differently. Enjoy it however you want.

Oh, and welcome.
mazag08
AG
CactusThomas said:

mazag08 said:

20 is good but have you tried 21 and 23?
Haven't found them?
CactusThomas
AG
Check Total Wine. My local store has 19 thru 23 and 2020 New Year's bourbon.
mazag08
AG
CactusThomas said:

Check Total Wine. My local store has 19 thru 23 and 2020 New Year's bourbon.
Well hot damn. There goes my wallet.
CactusThomas
AG
Worth it
Wheatables02
AG
SpiderDude said:

Tyrone_The_Tuna said:

I'll hang up and listen

Is Masters Keep worth it? Yes and no. I'd worry about trying different stuff before paying anything near or over $100 a bottle. If you're curious about WT I'd try Rare Breed and/or Russell's Reserve SiB (picks of it are even better). Heaven Hill does some good stuff. MGP juice is always on my menu. Personally I love Knob Creek SiB's. Try a 4R Small Batch Select.

Your tastes are very similar to mine. If you can afford it, yes. Aren't you in Flo Mo? If so let's get together and I'll share some Masters keep with you..
Copp
How is that WFP pick? I have really enjoyed the few picks of WFP I have tried!
the dude10
AG
Sooo is the texags bourbon thread buying a barrel or what?
Daytona22
AG
I bet we could sell it out pretty quick!
Naveronski
AG
Could we keep it around/below $60/bottle?
RigsTx
AG
Up in the Midwest and found some WFE 4 year Rye. I've never seen it out in West Texas. I bought a bottle to try while I'm here. Any thoughts? The place I went had 10 bottles sitting on the shelf.
John Francis Donaghy
the dude10 said:

Sooo is the texags bourbon thread buying a barrel or what?

This idea has been tossed around before, but I don't think it ever got any real traction.

But I think there's A) some energetic new blood on the thread, and B) a growing number of us who like good bourbon but are sick of jumping through hoops to get it. A group barrel buy might be pretty attractive right now.

Ducks, have any insight on what kind of dollar amount we need to be able to commit for something like this? I think the number discussed last time was around $10,000 for a whole barrel.
Buck Compton
AG
The challenge is the number of people. Last time I looked I think it was $10,000 and although there are a lot of variables, if you assume a 120 proof bottling, that gets you anywhere from 160-200 bottles. Which means $50-60 per bottle.

Then there's the logistics of picking and getting it to the ~40 people that need to be involved. Likely need to order a minimum of 4 bottles.

I'm in if everyone else is.
AGdent07
AG
Id be interested in a Weller FP barrel pick. Ive seen the price list for picking a weller barrel and will have to find it again. Price varies quite a bit from SR, 107, 12, and FP. Knowing how hard it is to actually find a bottle it seems like picking a barrel and splitting up the cost may be the best solution.
Sazerac
AG
I'd be in for a case(s)
HouseDivided06
AG
I'd be in for 4-6 barrels and am pretty confident I could get at least 2-3 guys at my office to buy in as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 475 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.