Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,851,640 Views | 38534 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by BrokeAssAggie
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am about 3 weeks into my bourbon life. So a total noob. What are the chances of someone finding Blantons and if so are there any tips? Looking forward to this thread
07fta07
AG
Finding it and finding it at/near MSRP are different animals. It's available, but in my experience you kinda have to get lucky along with most of the other allocated stuff. I usually hit Total Wine (and to a lesser extent Specs) in the mornings during the week when they're putting out their new stock. I've been pretty successful finding a lot of the typically harder to find stuff.

TW seems to be putting stuff on the shelf. Sometimes check up by customer service and they'll have "special" stuff up there at times. Some Specs are putting more on the shelf but most still keep the majority of allocated stuff in the managers office. Some are first come. Some operate off lists. I haven't been very successful with anything at the smaller independent stores but other people are. Most of those seem to run off lists for preferred customers.

Cast a wide net and you'll be surprised what you find. If all you want is Blanton's and you want it at MSRP, you'll probably be disappointed for a long while before you find one, but there's a lot of good stuff out there you can and will find not named Blanton's.
CactusThomas
AG
Where are you located? I've been able to get Blanton's several times a year in the Coastal Bend.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
CactusThomas said:

Where are you located? I've been able to get Blanton's several times a year in the Coastal Bend.
I am in Houston, but we have a house in Rockport as well so getting down there isnt an issue. What stores? Spankys?
CactusThomas
AG
Tried to PM you but it bounced back
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
CactusThomas said:

Tried to PM you but it bounced back
Try again. Just re upped my subscription so it should work now.
AggBock
AG
I got one but they are 100 in DFW. That's cost.
Sazerac
AG
Specs has Blantons on an allocated call list. Several hundred + per store at any given time.
TW says they put it out, but I've never seen one.

Last time I was in Boston they just had them on the shelf at Msrp....
Sazerac
AG
I need to run up to CS to the vet school tomorrow.

What are the best places in town to try to find a couple bottles, "simple stuff" like eagle rare?

trouble
AG
I like the Twin Liquors on Texas at Holleman. The manager there, Sam, really knows her stuff and is involved with the local bourbon group.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
I have been able to get a couple of bottles of ER at Twin on Holleman this year. They usually have it on the side counter if it's in stock. Occasionally specs on university and rock prairie will have some in the back.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you go to specs at Texas and Harvey then the Twin liquor mentioned above and the new specs on university near the bypass you can be in and out all three in 30-40 minutes and have everything covered.

Sometimes whiskey Charlie's has something they don't but that seems pretty rare.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Tyrone_The_Tuna said:

I am about 3 weeks into my bourbon life. So a total noob. What are the chances of someone finding Blantons and if so are there any tips? Looking forward to this thread

I'm in the same boat. I lucked out that my wife tried bourbon and found out she likes it as well. Been just lurking the thread and buying bottles that people mention to find out what we like. Seems like we are big fans of single barrel Four Roses and Elijah Craig so far. Just picked up a bottle of 1792 and JJ Bowen to try next
I've had pours Blanton's at the bars when traveling and really like it. Been hunting for a bottle in Houston for us to sip on on our anniversary.
Post removed:
by user
RK
AG
you have some weird sh*t, man.
AggBock
AG
Found ER for 30 bucks today at Goodie Goodie in Fort Worth. First time to see that.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
What kind of psycho puts their A&M diploma in a frame with a green mat?
Post removed:
by user
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
AggBock said:

Found ER for 30 bucks today at Goodie Goodie in Fort Worth. First time to see that.
Specs at memorial close to Shepard has it for 30 and so does the Total Wines in the Heights
MW03
AG
that appears to be an octopus
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
07fta07
AG
The big specs on smith also had ER today.
Sazerac
AG
Seems there was an ER delivery today. Got one at Specs memorial / dairy Ashford. Had to ask for it though they don't put it out.
MW03
AG
Made and quick and dirty old fashioned with 1792 full proof, orange bitters, and simple syrup (plus a maraschino cherry). Quality beverage.
txaggie05
AG
MW03 said:

Made and quick and dirty old fashioned with 1792 full proof, orange bitters, and simple syrup (plus a maraschino cherry). Quality beverage.

1792 FP does make a tasty old fashioned.
CactusThomas
AG
That '92 full proof is pretty decent. Never been a big 1792 fan but I like that one pretty good.
Goodest Poster
AG
CactusThomas said:

That '92 full proof is pretty decent. Never been a big 1792 fan but I like that one pretty good.

Good to know. The small batch and single barrel are trash.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Tried Old Forester BiB (1897) and was not impressed at all
SpiderDude
AG
Had my brothers over for a guys whiskey tasting night. We bottle killed my OF 1920 and Henry McKenna BiB. And just about killed my Pinhook Single Barrel OLC pick. Time to replace some bottles.
AggBock
AG
Agree with all. FP is great.
CactusThomas
AG
jftx04 said:

CactusThomas said:

Bonded isn't worth getting either.
FriedTex
AG
CactusThomas said:

jftx04 said:

CactusThomas said:

Bonded isn't worth getting either.

Eh. I had a store pick bonded (Hy-Vee) that was damn good for 33 bucks
Fall92
AG
Getting a lot of use out of this awesome Father's Day gift.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
First Page Last Page
Page 469 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.