Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,675 Views | 38544 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Naveronski
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on the 17 year BIB?
CactusThomas
AG
Looks like he likes it
AGdent07
AG
Oh man that Michters toasted barrel is awesome. Id love to get my hands on a bottle.
Wheatables02
AG
Lots of cherry... Great nose and finish.

Doesn't compare to the Russell's Reserve next to it on overall quality, but if you can get one at retail it's definitely worth it.
MJ20/20
AG
What year is that RR?
Wheatables02
AG
2005 import.

https://rarebird101.com/2018/07/17/russells-reserve-10-year-2005/
MJ20/20
AG
How does the 90 compare to the 110? The 110 typically drinks under proof.
FriedTex
AG
Is the new Heaven Hill BIB hard to find in Texas?
Wheatables02
AG
MJ20/20 said:

How does the 90 compare to the 110? The 110 typically drinks under proof.
I thought it was 110 honestly...it drank like it....flavor bomb!
MOCO9
AG
Anyone ever tried Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary? If yes, thoughts?
CactusThomas
AG
Not anymore
AggBock
AG
Got one at total wine Friday. Just go at 10
SpiderDude
AG
Belated National Bourbon Day bottle kill. RIP to this sweet lady!!!
mazag08
AG
Wife got my this for my birthday. Specs store pick. Damn it's good. I'll post tasting notes when I have more time.

MJ20/20
AG
I like old Ezra a lot, but this years release was exceptional. I have two bottles left of a case.
jh0400
AG
MGP or Alberta?
SpiderDude
AG
That one is actually last year's. I have 2 of this year's. A case is tempting but I also love variety and have others I enjoy just as much. For the money (at MSRP) you can't beat it!
rack04
FTAco07 said:

I also got a store pick 1792 full proof at TW today. I've been looking for a Yamazaki 12 or 18 for quite a while and still haven't been able to find one, even at above msrp. Any time I even ask about it I generally get a chuckle which makes me think stores all know it's hard to find so it goes quick but they don't allocate or mark it up to keep it available for customers willing to pay a premium.

Any ideas?
Not sure where you're located but Goody Goody in Addison had some yesterday.
Wheatables02
AG
MOCO9 said:

Anyone ever tried Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary? If yes, thoughts?
I have a bottle but I haven't opened it yet...
Bigfootisreal
Any thoughts on Cream of Kentucky? Batch 4 is out and is 13 year old. It is in stock at Specs but the $130+ price tag makes it a big question mark.
MJ20/20
AG
The $130 is basically a novelty fee to try JW Rutledge's blended whiskey. If you've never tried it, it's worth a shot. I liked last year's bottle, but when you put into perspective that for $130 you can buy 3 bottles of Colonel Taylor or 4 bottles of Eagle Rare the value is greatly diminished. To me, CoK doesn't have near the character or complexity of the premium bourbons.
Bigfootisreal
Appreciate the reply! Eagle Rare was my go to but it does get difficult to find. Recently got some EHT Small Batch and absolutely love it! Too bad it is hard to find as well. Always on the lookout, but rarely score much so wanted to see what people thought of that Cream of Kentucky before going way out of my price range.
MJ20/20
AG
If that is way out of your price range, I would definitely pass. Buffalo Trace products (EHT, Eagle Rare, etc) are the hot ticket right now (I like both), but I would strongly suggest getting into some of Wild Turkey's offerings. Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, etc...are readily accessible and, in my opinion top of the top shelf.
Wheatables02
AG
MJ20/20 said:

If that is way out of your price range, I would definitely pass. Buffalo Trace products (EHT, Eagle Rare, etc) are the hot ticket right now (I like both), but I would strongly suggest getting into some of Wild Turkey's offerings. Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, etc...are readily accessible and, in my opinion top of the top shelf.
I highly recommend against any Wild Turkey products. They are trash. Please stay away from them and Heaven Hill and continue to buy all Buffalo Trace, all of it.

edited to Add Old Forester - they suck as well.
MJ20/20
AG
Ha. We have very similar taste.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm driving from TX to Upstate NY for the 4th of July via the Smoky Mountains and Roanoke VA...any tips on places to try to stop to get stuff that's hard to find here in Texas?
jaggiemaggie
AG
Anyone willing to trade a bottle of Blanton's for a bottle of Hibiki Harmony? Located in Houston
Bigfootisreal
Really like Russell's Reserve. Bought a single barrel Russell's a couple weeks ago but have yet to crack it open. I like BT products too and am always on the lookout. When things get close to $100 I think of all the scotch I can get in that price range!
Cyprian
AG
Wheatables02 said:

MJ20/20 said:

I highly recommend against any Wild Turkey products. They are trash. Please stay away from them and Heaven Hill and continue to buy all Buffalo Trace, all of it.

edited to Add Old Forester - they suck as well.

WT 101 is how I realized I liked good bourbons, I started off drinking it with 7up, slowly realized I liked the taste of the WT more as my drinks got stronger and stronger over time, etc. It didn't take long before I was drinking it neat.
WreckitRalph90
AG
Found a store on my lunch break, Pflugerville, that has stagg jr for $140. Well full proof. Ezra for $70. Midsummer night. EGBP for $90. EHT small batch for 90. Awesome to see some rarer stuff but holy mess. Double msrp just irritates me.
CactusThomas
John Francis Donaghy
WreckitRalph90 said:

Found a store on my lunch break, Pflugerville, that has stagg jr for $140. Well full proof. Ezra for $70. Midsummer night. EGBP for $90. EHT small batch for 90. Awesome to see some rarer stuff but holy mess. Double msrp just irritates me.
Not me. If Stagg Jr. sells for $140, sell it for $140. I'd much rather be able to walk into a store any day I want and drop $140 on the bottle I want than have to spend my days "hunting" or buy on the secondary market hoping someone along the secondary market chain of possession didn't drink it and refill the bottle with Evan Williams.

I just don't understand why the big distilling companies have been watching this insanity unfold over the last 10 years without raising their MSRPs to match the market.
SpiderDude
AG
For some like me there's fun and thrill in the hunt. I refuse to pay secondary. With patience, keeping my ears and eyes open and some determination... not to mention some like minded whiskey friends I've amassed a collection I'm extremely proud of that contains its fair share of (attainable) unicorns. No BTAC (yet) or Pappy. But plenty of good store picks, imported exports (Blanton's SFTB & Gold), etc. I can count on one hand how many times I've spent over $100 on a single bottle and I'd like to keep that going.
07fta07
AG
Found some 1792 full proof store pick, Eagle Rare, and Blanton's at TW in Houston yesterday. Not a bad Tuesday.
Sazerac
AG
That is very hard to believe

Which location?
First Page Last Page
Page 465 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.