Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,677 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ryeguy
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Do not waste your money on Clyde May's bourbon.
I've read that all of their offerings are apple bombs.
this one does not have the apple that other Alabama whiskeys have. but, like a review i read after buying it and trying said, [if they spent as much time on their bourbon as they did on coming up with a clever label and back story, it might be a better product].

it's like Bill Murray calling Chevy Chase a medium talent. it's not bad. there's just not much substance and trying way too hard.
mazag08
AG
Furlock Bones said:

mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

this one does not have the apple that other Alabama whiskeys have. but, like a review i read after buying it and trying said, [if they spent as much time on their bourbon as they did on coming up with a clever label and back story, it might be a better product].

it's like Bill Murray calling Chevy Chase a medium talent. it's not bad. there's just not much substance and trying way too hard.
That's how I felt about this one. It's just.. not good.

MW03
AG
Don't know if Angels Envy is hard to find, but Addison Specs had both the regular and finished rye in stock after a delivery today.
MJ20/20
AG
Anyone have any good auction sites? Ducks? Cactus?
MJ20/20
AG
Can't forget Wheatables you turkey lovin *******.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

Don't know if Angels Envy is hard to find, but Addison Specs had both the regular and finished rye in stock after a delivery today.

At one point their Rye was my favorite bottle. My palate moved on a bit but I still liked it. Then someone on here alluded to the fact that they add flavoring (flavor packets) which totally ruined it for me.
CactusThomas
AG
MJ20/20 said:

I've never messed with them personally.

Surprisingly I have seen some for sale discreetly on Ebay.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

That's how I felt about this one. It's just.. not good.

I like it! I have a 120 proof store pick of it. Barrel #906. Hey... at least they don't charge $150 for horse piss like Garrison Brothers (ok... maybe horse piss is a bit harsh but you get my drift).
betadawg1
AG
Trump 2020 said:

betadawg1 said:

These are a few of the bourbons only released in Japan. A couple mentioned previously.

BIN!

PM me if you are interested.
betadawg1
AG
I have an Evan Williams 12 (Japan release) for trade. Looking for a Rock Hill Farms. Located in CS, work in Houston.
Scotts Tot
AG
Picked up an OF 1910, and I'm really digging the heavy oak. For anyone familiar with both, how do you compare it to the Woodford Double Oaked?
William Larue Weller
AG
Unfortunately I can't PM, because I don't have stars. That said, I'd certainly be interested in either the Blanton's red or black.
Wheatables02
AG
MJ20/20 said:

I wish I knew of some...facebook groups are all I know of...and the prices are secondary market and outrageous
AggBock
AG
Whiskey is getting thin out there. I was finding Booker's everywhere at least but now nothing. Dried up in the metroplex lately. Going to take a break until someone else hits it big.
Baby Billy
AG
Noble Oak Double Oak. Anybody tried?
Naveronski
AG
Yes, and I enjoy it.

It's readily available at Total Wine.
MOCO9
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Noble Oak Double Oak. Anybody tried?

Yes, it's good. I believe it's made by the group that owns Macallan. Definitely has a "scotchy" vibe (finished with sherry oak stives) but pulls it off well.
SpiderDude
AG
AggBock said:

Whiskey is getting thin out there. I was finding Booker's everywhere at least but now nothing. Dried up in the metroplex lately. Going to take a break until someone else hits it big.

I've never had an issue finding Booker's in Austin. Sure it may not be at a specific store but you typically can drive down the road and find it at the next one. OLC had Bakers SiB on the shelf recently also.
agcrock2005
AG
Naveronski said:

Yes, and I enjoy it.

It's readily available at Total Wine.
I know where AggBock is now...
AggBock
AG
I ain't going back to total wine. Went by another on Saturday. Looked at counter, empty. Walk around a bit, some manager set out a bottle of Hidiki 12 for $125 and was watching to see how long it would sit there. Rediculous. I didn't buy it because the price was high and its not something I am looking for . They are guarding the allocated heavily. I think if I go back I am going to go digging around on the back room of the store and see what I find
CactusThomas
AG
Wat
SweaterVest
AG
The Total Wine allocation model is the tits! I don't have to pretend to slobber all over seedy liquor store owners to try to get in their good graces or buy a bunch of sh*t I don't want so they'll give me a call when they get something. I've found Blanton's and several other tater bottles on a somewhat regular basis at TW's in Houston.

Chipotlemonger
AG
What kind of system would you rather have given current supply and demand?!
AggBock
AG
What time of day is best?
SweaterVest
AG
AggBock said:

No time in particular. I'm usually not going there looking for something allocated though. I just go because they have the best prices and I stop to take a look at the counter while I'm there.

If I could recommend one thing to you it would be to quit hunting tater bottles and start buying store picks of whiskey that you like. Its less stressful and way more rewarding to try different SiB's selected by you local stores and bars. Better whiskey and better experience.

ETA: I'm not trying to be condescending at all by the way. Just trying to save you from the frustration and disappointment that the rest of us went through on our way to finding the good stuff!
J.P. 03
AG
SweaterVest said:

AggBock said:

If I could recommend one thing to you it would be to quit hunting tater bottles and start buying store picks of whiskey that you like. Its less stressful and way more rewarding to try different SiB's selected by you local stores and bars. Better whiskey and better experience.

I dunno, man...have you tasted any of the Spirits Direct garbage that TW employees endorse? Makes me hesitant to trust them to pick out a barrel for me, even if it's of something I know I already like.
StEdsCOOG
AggBock said:

My buddy just snagged his second bottle of ETL at the same Total Wine in a matter of a month. First one he grabbed was on a Saturday around 1 and the second was this past Friday around 3.
AggBock
AG
Wow. That is good luck. So I am sipping on a bottle of eagle rare tonight and got to say it is awesome.
SweaterVest
AG
J.P. 03 said:

SweaterVest said:

AggBock said:

I dunno, man...have you tasted any of the Spirits Direct garbage that TW employees endorse? Makes me hesitant to trust them to pick out a barrel for me, even if it's of something I know I already like.
Ha, I've never bought any of that junk. My rule of thumb is if a Specs or TW rep recommends something, I aint buying it. Specs has had some decent store picks though. Lots of local shops and bars do as well and luckily I have a good buddy that spends enough time in liquor stores for the both of us. He grabs me store picks when he finds a good one.
AggBock
AG
I wonder just how different a bottle can be? I have never set up a tasting with say, 3 bottles of Weller frim three different stores and times. I'm not sure I could get value from a store pick.
SweaterVest
AG
AggBock said:

I wonder just how different a bottle can be? I have never set up a tasting with say, 3 bottles of Weller frim three different stores and times. I'm not sure I could get value from a store pick.
That Weller isn't single barrel. Its blended to fit a consistent flavor profile. Bourbon varies in profile from barrel to barrel, which is what makes store picks fun. Your local bars and bottle shops are picking something out that they think has an interesting or unique profile.

Then you also have bourbons with different recipes, such as 4R, and the only way you get those unique recipe profiles is through single barrel picks.
AlaskanAg99
AG
betadawg1 said:

I have an Evan Williams 12 (Japan release) for trade. Looking for a Rock Hill Farms. Located in CS, work in Houston.

I'd do a RHF for a Blanton's Red.
aTm '99
TamuKid
AG
SweaterVest said:

AggBock said:

No time in particular. I'm usually not going there looking for something allocated though. I just go because they have the best prices and I stop to take a look at the counter while I'm there.

ETA: I'm not trying to be condescending at all by the way. Just trying to save you from the frustration and disappointment that the rest of us went through on our way to finding the good stuff!

That's the ticket. Only I find myself mainly buying my wife's wine and vodka at TW and occasionally browsing their store pick bourbons (KC 15 yr picks) and the allocated counter. I shop most beer and bourbon at mom and pops for store picks or a consistent enough relationship that occasionally yields an unsolicited allocated bottle.
Sazerac
AG
I like the TW Tequila for rocks margs. And their triple sec is fine. And Prosecco.

Other than that...nah.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
AggBock said:

I ain't going back to total wine. Went by another on Saturday. Looked at counter, empty. Walk around a bit, some manager set out a bottle of Hidiki 12 for $125 and was watching to see how long it would sit there. Rediculous. I didn't buy it because the price was high and its not something I am looking for . They are guarding the allocated heavily. I think if I go back I am going to go digging around on the back room of the store and see what I find

Holy crap how high were you
First Page Last Page
Page 452 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.