Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,748,110 Views | 37521 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by tu ag
showtime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glad to hear it. I know you've been after it a while.
reveille23
Quote:

If anyone has some W12 youd be willing to part with, please let me know.
tandrus, where are you and what do you have to trade? I'm in S Houston
jhn109
Anybody have any Elmer T. Lee they would be willing to part with? I've been looking for it for a while now.

I'm in Central Houston.
turfman80
AG
Finally scored a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Damn it's good.
CharlieBrown17
AG
turfman80 said:

Finally scored a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Damn it's good.

Which batch? I just opened A119 and it's excellent
turfman80
AG
C918.
Ringo88
AG
Breaking news...
Call your favorite store tomorrow to get on the list for the new Weller Full Proof Offering. Same bottle, blue label, 114 proof.
It's BT's answer to the swell of interest in Makers Mark Cask Strength and Private Select.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The first private pick of this (selected last week) will be hitting Houston slmetime this summer.
tx4guns
AG
Do you have anything to trade?
RaylanGivens
Anyone find any of the current batch of ECBP in Houston? Looking for a friend
CharlieBrown17
AG

Give up on Beam white label Raylan?
RaylanGivens
CharlieBrown17 said:

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/justrg2bflan-ls1-jbeam.jpg

Give up on Beam white label Raylan?
Great as mouthwash CB
jetch17
AG
RaylanGivens said:

Anyone find any of the current batch of ECBP in Houston? Looking for a friend

Just picked up a C918 at Tony Ks on bissonett
The Silverback
AG

Just finished my bar, have room for a few more PVW if anyone wants to barter!
jh0400
AG
Nice BMH. That one is on my "doesn't matter what it costs when I see it" list to try.
The Silverback
AG
Had 3 of them several years back and didn't realize what I had until it was too late, this one will never be opened.
John Francis Donaghy
The Silverback said:

Had 3 of them several years back and didn't realize what I had until it was too late, this one will never be opened.

That's a lot of money for a knick-knack you look at for the rest of your life and die without enjoying.
Buck Compton
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

The Silverback said:

That's a lot of money for a knick-knack you look at for the rest of your life and die without enjoying.
Completely Agreed. Why have it if you'll never enjoy it?

Should one of these be your daily drinker? No. But bust one out for a special occasion? Abso-****ing-lutely. Enjoy it!

I drink my top shelf stuff on an anniversary, buying a house, new job / promotion, inked a big deal, buddy getting married, child born, etc.
tandrus
AG
Buck Compton said:

The Silverback said:

Should one of these be your daily drinker? No. But bust one out for a special occasion? Abso-****ing-lutely. Enjoy it!

I drink my top shelf stuff on an anniversary, buying a house, new job / promotion, inked a big deal, buddy getting married, child born, etc.

How do you prevent evaporation if only getting into it infrequently? I've always cracked stuff and tried to get 'er done in a few months.
boboguitar
AG
tandrus said:

Buck Compton said:

The Silverback said:

How do you prevent evaporation if only getting into it infrequently? I've always cracked stuff and tried to get 'er done in a few months.
I have a bottle of Weller that was opened in '84. Just keep the top on.
John Francis Donaghy
tandrus said:

Buck Compton said:

The Silverback said:

If you're really concerned about whiskey quality over time there a few small things you can do to keep it at its best.

1. Use a rubber stopper with a snug fit for long term storage, rather than a cork one. Wine needs a small amount of oxygenation to age properly in the bottle. Whiskey does not age in the bottle. There is no need for a cork stopper on your whiskey bottle over a rubber one, or a nice tight screw top.

2. Store your bottles in a dark closet, or in a cardboard tube or box. Exposure to light will degrade whiskey over time.

3. When your bottle starts to get low, transfer the remaining whiskey to a smaller bottle so there's less room for air. The less air inside the bottle with the whiskey, the better. A couple pours of whiskey at the bottom of a big almost empty bottle is getting exposed to a lot of air.
The Silverback
AG

The Silverback said:

Trust me, I've put away my fair share of PVW.....Its just got to the point now where I can damn near put my oldest through her first year of college with a good collection. 10 years back when you could find the stuff so much easier (and cheaper) wasn't a big deal to open a bottle of 23, I remember damn near cashing a whole bottle after the 2012 Bama game. Shame cant do that anymore.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I can remember way back in the day staring at bottles of PVW on the shelf and thinking to myself my wife would kill me if I came home with a $60 bottle of bourbon
tx4guns
AG
That BMH is the most valuable bottle you have. Worth more than the 23.
The Silverback
AG
tx4guns said:

That BMH is the most valuable bottle you have. Worth more than the 23.
I agree.

showtime
AG
What would you take in trade for the VW Rye?
RaylanGivens

tandrus said:

Buck Compton said:

The Silverback said:

If you're really concerned about whiskey quality over time there a few small things you can do to keep it at its best.

1. Use a rubber stopper with a snug fit for long term storage, rather than a cork one. Wine needs a small amount of oxygenation to age properly in the bottle. Whiskey does not age in the bottle. There is no need for a cork stopper on your whiskey bottle over a rubber one, or a nice tight screw top.

2. Store your bottles in a dark closet, or in a cardboard tube or box. Exposure to light will degrade whiskey over time.

3. When your bottle starts to get low, transfer the remaining whiskey to a smaller bottle so there's less room for air. The less air inside the bottle with the whiskey, the better. A couple pours of whiskey at the bottom of a big almost empty bottle is getting exposed to a lot of air.
...How much indoor (artificial) light, is too much light. Thinking about adding some accent lights to the inside of the new Bourbon cabinet.
Ringo88
AG
I'd stay away from mini spotlights as used for curios or memorabilia items. Soft flourescents are safe. Below is at the Frazier County Museum in Louisville, used with some pretty valuable bottles.

https://www.instagram.com/fredminnick/p/BnG84KYgFoS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1g8s3q2enh6kv
aad03
AG
Anything too precious to be opened should be sold now, so you can catch the wave of bourbon know-nothings willing to pay a ridiculous amount for a label. Otherwise, open it up and enjoy it yourself. If a bottle lasts you long enough to be concerned about evaporation, man, you're doing it all wrong.
Class of '03
agcrock2005
AG
aad03 said:

Anything too precious to be opened should be sold now, so you can catch the wave of bourbon know-nothings willing to pay a ridiculous amount for a label. Otherwise, open it up and enjoy it yourself. If a bottle lasts you long enough to be concerned about evaporation, man, you're doing it all wrong.
I agree. I have two bottles that I won't open. They are Blanton's Special Reserve and Blanton's SFTB bottled on 7/18/16 and 9/19/17...my sons birthdays. Hope I live long enough to drink them with them in 18 and 19 years.
tripperwill
AG
2 kids in 14 months would have killed me by now. One in 4 years is enough for me. Props to you!
aad03
AG
Agcrock, we're not that different, you and I. My kids were born 9/8/12 and 9/12/13. I've got a bottle of Blanton's that was bottled the day my daughter was born; I'm waiting to open that with her one day. Couldn't find a single barrel that matched my son's birthday, but I've got a bottle of Four Roses Limited Edition 2012 for him. Both are in the safe until the kids are old enough.

Other than that, no bottle is safe when friends come around. If something happened to me today, my wife's boyfriend would be drinking my bourbon tomorrow.
Class of '03
agcrock2005
AG
I hear "it gets better"...
agcrock2005
AG
Can't imagine having it worse than 14 months apart but damn dude...you did it. Haha. Congrats man. Ps: does "it get better"?
62strat
AG
Mine are 10/2014 and 01/2016, both boys.

Not gonna lie, it ain't easy right now. But looking forward to the future

My neighbor had 3 under 3 and more recently with their 4th child born, 4 under 4!

My dad's two youngest sisters are 362 days apart.
First Page Last Page
Page 363 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.