Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,615 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ryeguy
Credible Source
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah it is, they all are. I've got four different releases stockpiled. It's my absolute favorite. Release number 11 I have the most of. 139.4 proof. It's so smooth my wife (who doesn't drink whiskey neat) once grabbed mine mid sentence and took a pull, and just cocked her head like "that's was strong" and kept talking. Didn't even realized she took a shot of nearly 140 proof whiskey.
RenoAg
What do you think of the ECBP 136 proof? I have an unopened bottle of it and I've not had a pour of it anywhere. Been thinking about it.

For tonight - first time trying a Midwinter Night's Dram. Interesting. Anyone not liking Rye will not like this. Not as sweet as Angel's Envy Rye, which almost tastes like syrup it is so sweet. But it seems to have muted some of the normal rye flavors which can be strong and objectionable to some.
Credible Source
AG
RenoAg said:

What do you think of the ECBP 136 proof? I have an unopened bottle of it and I've not had a pour of it anywhere. Been thinking about it.

For tonight - first time trying a Midwinter Night's Dram. Interesting. Anyone not liking Rye will not like this. Not as sweet as Angel's Envy Rye, which almost tastes like syrup it is so sweet. But it seems to have muted some of the normal rye flavors which can be strong and objectionable to some.

I've enjoyed every ECBP I've tried and that one is great. Also love the MWND, one of my favorites. I've got an open bottle of S5A5 and three unopened bottles over varying releases currently. Headed to the High West distillery a week from tomorrow.
Wheatables02
AG
RenoAg said:

This is one of the best releases in the last 3 years. The 138.8, 139.4, 124.2, and the 136 are awesome.
agcrock2005
AG
I'll ask again...who wants to sell me a ECBP? Or point me to where to go to get one in DFW...please!
Wheatables02
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I'll ask again...who wants to sell me a ECBP? Or point me to where to go to get one in DFW...please!
I'll grab one for you next time I am out of town and I hit my honey hole.
The Catfish
AG
I have an opportunity to be in a lottery for the following bottles, any thoughts on these? I got a bottle of PVW 15 from this lottery last year.

Booker's Straight Rye 13 yr: 9 bottles for lottery at $600 purchase price

Four Roses Limited Edition 2017: 76 bottles for lottery at $125 purchase price

Parker's Heritage 11 year: 90 bottles for $140 purchase price

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel 12 yr: 324 bottles for $37.99 purchase price

Is the Booker's that good?? I won't enter that one based on price.

How is the Parker's Heritage?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Where is this lottery?
CactusThomas
AG
Parker's Heritage is outstanding.
tx4guns
AG
That's secondary pricing on Booker's Rye, so I'd pass at that price. Get the Parker's or Four Roses. Parker's is the best in that list.
The Catfish
AG
I'll tell ya after it's over.

It's the Pennsylvania state lottery since liquor and wine is distributed by the state here. You have to be a current resident to enter. It's about the only positive thing about the government involvement - all rare liquors and wines are distributed via lottery.

I entered for the Heritage and 4 Roses, we'll see how it goes..
WES2006AG
AG
Walked into a liquor store in Cypress and was able to buy my first 2 bottles of Blantons on Saturday. That was a nice find for me.
agcrock2005
AG
Wheatables02 said:

agcrock2005 said:

I'll grab one for you next time I am out of town and I hit my honey hole.
Thank you sir!
Credible Source
AG
Just cracked open a bottle of Mic Drop, pretty solid pour so far. Looking forward to letting it open up a bit. Also, anyone tried widow Jane? I opened a bottle last week and love it.
IBMs_Watson
Widow Jane is the next bottle I'm opening. Reviews that I've seen are all good unless there's the stereotypical NDP-negativity that some people have.
AlaskanAg99
AG
For the Houston crowd...I sourced bourbon barrels from No Label and I intend to start making furniture out of them. It's wet wood...so to let it dry properly is 2 months.

Items Adirondack Chairs, barrel cap(end) clocks, wine racks, Christmas ornaments.... Why? Because I homebrew and love spirits and need a side gig to go after the good stuff. I have full access to a family cabinetry shop...lots of tools and I've taken 2 years of classes at a college.

Pros: custom order, limited guarantee (if you live in Houston) and proper Craftsman wood joinery...ie...no screws or brackets. More info to come, and I'll have several sized chairs to test run.... Discounts if you provide your own barrel. Just FYI...they have to be dried first if wet.

And pics in 2-3 months when the first round of projects are done.
BQRyno
AG
That's awesome! Definitely going to be interested in all of the above.
AlaskanAg99
AG
BQRyno said:

That's awesome! Definitely going to be interested in all of the above.

I'll be under local prices, as in no shipping/taxes plus a %. My main factor is barrel prices which can vary drastically. I'll be 100% transparent in prices. Some of it is seasonal depending on what base material is available at any given time. Which is why a self provided barrel will carry a 1/3-1/2 discount.

And if you have photos of a project you'd like made, all negotiations are open. Including trading spirits for labor.

The one thing not negotiable is drying time for wet barrels. Just asking for issues. It's a 2-3 month lead time. And while I have done this before, it's a slow process. I have a full time career. I encourage anyone interested to Google barrel furniture to get an idea of what you're looking for and associated prices. Generally I'll be working at material x2 (a pro shop will charge x3) + shop fee. It is a family shop but there's a cost in electricity and tool wear. I will be working those factors out on the first 5 barrels I have to work up a true rate, plus photos. I will have several owned products for anyone to test drive in a few different sizes.

Anyway, a side gig, not a profession. I have formal training and I will offer a limited guarantee. If your rabid drunk tsip uncle smashes *****..I'm not liable.

If anyone has a hookup on sub $100 barrels please let me know. Bourbon or wine. makes no difference.
plowboy1065
S
In
AlaskanAg99
AG
Sweet. Now I just have to wait. I'll post pics of the barrels and work as I progress.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

If anyone has a hookup on sub $100 barrels please let me know. Bourbon or wine. makes no difference.
How many are you looking for? Have a buddy in the liquor business and they age some of their tequilas in bourbon barrels and buy them by the hundreds. Not sure if he can hook me up or not but I can ask. They're based out of Austin though.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
agcrock2005 said:

How many are you looking for? Have a buddy in the liquor business and they age some of their tequilas in bourbon barrels

holy crap that sounds disgusting
CactusThomas
AG
I thought that was fairly common
Wheatables02
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

agcrock2005 said:

How many are you looking for? Have a buddy in the liquor business and they age some of their tequilas in bourbon barrels

the Corazon in George T Stagg barrels is pretty good...
AlaskanAg99
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

How many are you looking for? Have a buddy in the liquor business and they age some of their tequilas in bourbon barrels and buy them by the hundreds. Not sure if he can hook me up or not but I can ask. They're based out of Austin though.

Depends on price really. I don't mind driving to Austin if the price is right. I'd knock them down in the parking lot to haul them back. If you wouldn't mind getting g a price quote, but I won't be ready to do anything for 3-4 months.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Depends on price really. I don't mind driving to Austin if the price is right. I'd knock them down in the parking lot to haul them back. If you wouldn't mind getting g a price quote, but I won't be ready to do anything for 3-4 months.
For all I know he might be able to ship them to you, or he might not be able to help at all but I'll ask. I need a ballpark number though for quantity. Is it 5 or 50?
agcrock2005
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

agcrock2005 said:

Lol...while I don't like it they are doing very well. Was with him in NYC a couple weeks ago and we ordered an Old Fashioned using it and it was pretty good. I hate Garrison Bros too which is the barrels they use for this.

PS: If you want a good drink to get the wife hammered, get the Dulce Vida grapefruit and mix with squirt and fresh lime juice. That's a refreshing and very good Paloma!
teebee
The Catfish said:

I entered for the Heritage and 4 Roses, we'll see how it goes..
My thoughts exactly. Keep us posted!
teebee
Wheatables02 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

agcrock2005 said:

Wow that sounds phenomenal.
AlaskanAg99
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

For all I know he might be able to ship them to you, or he might not be able to help at all but I'll ask. I need a ballpark number though for quantity. Is it 5 or 50?

5-10. It takes awhile to build them and I don't think I have storage for more than that at any one given time. I appreciate you asking him for me.
Wheatables02
AG
teebee said:

Wheatables02 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

agcrock2005 said:

Wow that sounds phenomenal.
Most total wines have them. There is also one aged in Old Rip Van Winkle Barrels, Buffalo Trace Barrels, and Sazerac Rye Barrels.
BQRyno
AG
Some of y'all in Houston were interested in poker nights at my house in Rosenberg. The next one is next Saturday, February 24th. Let me know if you want an invite. I do it via facebook just to make the information and rsvp list easy.
agcrock2005
AG
He said he couldn't remember their cost because they haven't bought them in a few years because they last so long but said that he thought they'd (or any distiller) give you a deal buying that many. Sorry I couldn't help more. Texted back to see if he could find out what they paid just for reference though. Will let you know what I find out. Good luck man.

Edit: he just texted me "Tell him to contact Kelvin Cooperage. Or Rocky Mountain barrel company. Big market for this type of thing. Getting barrels under $100 isn't that tough."
AlaskanAg99
AG
Thank you sir. Much appreciated. I need to get my first 5 processed so I know my build times for a better cost estimate then I can look into the next round. I'm stoked though, this is good news.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Has anyone seen the A118 batch of ECBP in Texas yet? I've seen more and more on secondary groups now but mostly East Coast, wondering if its worth going by the liquor store on the way home.
First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.