Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,832 Views | 38373 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Aggie Therapist
VegasT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

In the past few years I only scored one Handy as far as BTAC and van winkle goes. Yesterday I hit the mother load. Got to a shop minutes after the delivery, they hadn't even started calling the list yet (I was on it). Definitely not at MSRP prices but not secondary either. He said the distributor will give a range of prices he can sell it for and he was selling it as low as the distributor would allow.

I picked my bottle, then had my brother go by and grab one, and when my wife stopped by the owner was gone and the poor kid behind the counter sold her 3 bottles. I feel a little guilty, but I have gone long enough with nothing to show for it. Plus, I didn't pay retail for these either.

Anyway, I got one each of the following: ORVW, lot B, GTS, WLW, THH, and and EC18. By far the best day I have ever had whale hunting, and it's not even close.

Congrats. Well done!
FTAG 2000
AG
No Buffalo trace scores but I stopped in a Specs close to family here in SA and talked my way into a Blantons single barrel store pick, OWA store pick, and a ECBP.

07ag
AG
i've given up chasing for the whales,, too little returns on my efforts. good luck out there ya'll
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Just got another MWND... solid consolation prize.
Wheatables02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Rough life

That's if I keep throwing away $15 a week on beer. Been lucky to get a BTAC this year and last but no WLW Saz or ER17. Doubt this trend continues.
Wheatables02
AG
VegasT said:

Quote:

In the past few years I only scored one Handy as far as BTAC and van winkle goes. Yesterday I hit the mother load. Got to a shop minutes after the delivery, they hadn't even started calling the list yet (I was on it). Definitely not at MSRP prices but not secondary either. He said the distributor will give a range of prices he can sell it for and he was selling it as low as the distributor would allow.

I picked my bottle, then had my brother go by and grab one, and when my wife stopped by the owner was gone and the poor kid behind the counter sold her 3 bottles. I feel a little guilty, but I have gone long enough with nothing to show for it. Plus, I didn't pay retail for these either.

Anyway, I got one each of the following: ORVW, lot B, GTS, WLW, THH, and and EC18. By far the best day I have ever had whale hunting, and it's not even close.

Congrats. Well done!

That is simply amazing luck. I would take a few years off after that haul.
tx4guns
AG
Stopped into a mom n pop store today for Bailey's and walked out with a bonus bottle of Stagg. Being a regular customer has its perks.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Congrats to those that scored GTS ... I've been mildly hunting for another since my last one in '12 that we broke open to celebrate Johnny's Heisman. Haven't had any luck unfortunately.

What was the consensus on Joseph Mangus (silver label). A new Total Wine just opened in N FW and they had a handful of bottles on the shelf. Didn't know if it was worth the $99 price tag ...
BQRyno
AG
Didn't hit any jackpots today, but happy enough with Nasa Liquor store picks of 1792 Full Proof and Knob Creek Single Barrel from Ly's.
HouseDivided06
AG
I've generally seen it for $110 but got it for $85 this last week for my brother in law's birthday. Hoping he opens it this weekend with me. From what I've read it's not worth the $110 but is worth it at the $85. I almost bought one for myself but dropped more than normal at True Spirits in Dallas when they announced they're closing. I'll keep you posted once it's opened
dmart90
AG
And the Bourbon Gods smiled kindly on me today:

“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Señor Chang
AG
What is that in the middle?
dmart90
AG
Seor Chang said:

What is that in the middle?
Little Book - It's a "Booker's" blend of bourbon, whiskey, and rye.

https://www.alcoholprofessor.com/blog/2017/10/09/introducing-little-book-whiskey/
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
FTAG 2000
AG
dmart90 said:

How'd you pull that off? Established relationship or lucky find?
dmart90
AG
AG 2000' said:

dmart90 said:

How'd you pull that off? Established relationship or lucky find?
A little bit of both. It's a mom and pop type store, but I also wandered in at the right time. This same store scored me a 4RLE last year. With what I spent today, I think I moved up the list, though.

I feel very lucky, I only paid $95 per bottle of BTAC.

Wheatables02
AG
cjaetzold said:

Congrats to those that scored GTS ... I've been mildly hunting for another since my last one in '12 that we broke open to celebrate Johnny's Heisman. Haven't had any luck unfortunately.

What was the consensus on Joseph Mangus (silver label). A new Total Wine just opened in N FW and they had a handful of bottles on the shelf. Didn't know if it was worth the $99 price tag ...

If you have or find a WLW ill trade with you. It's my unicorn and have never got one.
FTAG 2000
AG
Jealous. I need to find a new north DFW hole. The one I thought I had a good relationship with got some BTAC in but are charging secondary for it.

I think I'd even be good with paying somewhere in between but calling up and saying you have some WLW but it's $500, yeah f that.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Thanks Wheat ... I'll def let you know if I can track one down.
Sixdrakes
AG
Gents, after years of lurking, I finally decided to jump into the fray. I've learned a lot about bourbon from this forum and respect your insights. Earlier today, I found a GTS at a local establishment for $250. Is that a fair price to pay or are they gauging? For what its worth, I left it there.
FriedTex
AG
Better than secondary but way higher then MRSP

Edited bc there were a lot of grammatical errors/ attempting to polish off a Bookers tonight
aggielostinETX
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Gents, after years of lurking, I finally decided to jump into the fray. I've learned a lot about bourbon from this forum and respect your insights. Earlier today, I found a GTS at a local establishment for $250. Is that a fair price to pay or are they gauging? For what its worth, I left it there.

I'll take it at that price if you don't want it
Post removed:
by user
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
tx4guns said:

Stopped into a mom n pop store today for Bailey's and walked out with a bonus bottle of Stagg. Being a regular customer has its perks.

You suck.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Haha... methinks we are in the same fb group. You're going back to get it right?
Sixdrakes
AG
Nuke, I haven't committed to it yet. I'll see how I feel about it Friday morning
aggielostinETX
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Nuke, I haven't committed to it yet. I'll see how I feel about it Friday morning

I will pay a 10% premium for it if you don't want it.
Daytona22
AG
Was taking the year off from hunting and after all the reports earlier this week I decided to just stop at one place by my house. He had a GTS and PHC11! Picked them both up for over msrp but definitely under secondary.

For those looking for good pours of ORVW, my wife and I went to Nobies for dinner last night and they have Whiskey Wednesday's. Half price whiskey and $5 manhattans and old fashions. Had a 1.5 ounce pour of ORVW for $9.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Sixdrakes said:

Seriously... if you don't want it, I def do!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Nobi Public House in Clear Lake or we talkin somewhere else entirely?

Also - awesome on the finds! I'm legit happy for the regular folk running into unicorns!
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
tx4guns said:

Same luck for me. Went in yesterday for my regular purchase of an everyday sipper and 'pop' asked if i wanted a bottle of Stagg. I assumed he was referring to Stagg Jr. Nope. The real BTAC stuff for $90. Not as good as BTAC Eagle Rare I scored last year; but, still delicious.
My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
Sixdrakes
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Sixdrakes said:

Seriously... if you don't want it, I def do!

I'll stop by tomorrow morning at 10:00. I'll pick it up if they still have it. If I decide not to keep it, I'll post up.
Wheatables02
AG
There are 38,000 bottles of GTS this year so you should have a decent chance if you really try.
jh0400
AG
My wife and I stopped in at Bourbon House in NOLA for a drink and small bite to eat. I was really excited, because they had EHT Four Grain in their list for $20 for a 2 oz pour. I ordered and a few minutes later the waiter came by to tell me they were out. That's the second time in two days I've ordered something from a list that the bar didn't have.
FriedTex
AG
Day drinking
Credible Source
AG
jh0400 said:

My wife and I stopped in at Bourbon House in NOLA for a drink and small bite to eat. I was really excited, because they had EHT Four Grain in their list for $20 for a 2 oz pour. I ordered and a few minutes later the waiter came by to tell me they were out. That's the second time in two days I've ordered something from a list that the bar didn't have.

I hate that ****, update the menu
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.