Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,830,469 Views | 38329 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ChoppinDs40
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dmart90's Four Roses Review (yeah, I just sampled them all and I'm a little tipsy)

I'm lucky enough to have eleven distinct bottle of Four Roses in my collection - four Small Batch (3 LEs) and seven single barrels (6 private selections).

Let's start with the single barrels.

Single Barrel Winner

Single Barrel Barrel Strength OBSV (11y, 10m, 58.7% A/V)

Wow! Excellent heat and spice, with a touch of fruit and spice at the end.

Runner Up

Single Barrel Barrel Strength OBSQ (8y, 7m, 57.7% A/V)

Solid drinker, starts with a lot of heat and a hint of mint, with a nice sweet after taste, followed by more heat.

The Rest
  • Single Barrel (which is an OBSV, 50.0% A/V)
    Floral and sweet followed by long heat - for the price this is a really solid choice.
  • Single Barrel Barrel Strength OESV (11y, 1m, 54.4% A/V)
    Kind of delicate and fruity and creamy - pretty nice.
  • Single Barrel Barrel Strength OBSO (10y, 9m, 51.9% A/V)
    A little flat with notes of fruit.
  • Single Barrel Barrel Strength OESF (10y, 1m, 56.3% A/V)
    A little flat with herbal notes. OK.
  • Single Barrel Barrel Strength OBSF (11y, 4m, 62.9% A/V)
    Disappointed. The proof is just overwhelming. Either I'm a girl or this needs water to open it up.

Small Batch Winner

2016 Limited Edition OESO (12y), OBSV (12y), OESK (16y)

Talk about smooth! The blend is masterful. Good heat and sweetness combined. Incredible.

Runner Up

Small Batch (which is an OBSK (12y), OESK, OBSO, OESO blend)

While, honestly a little flat, I can see this as a really nice mixer at a wonderful price. I see this going into my next Old Fashioned (maybe later tonight!).

The Rest
  • 2015 LE (OBSK (16y), OESK (15y), OESK (14y), OBSV (11y)
    Sweet and floral with a lingering heat. This is like telling Cindy Crawford she's an also ran (yeah, I'm old).
  • 2014 LE (OBSK (9y), OBSV (13y), OESV (12y), OBSF (11y)
    A little more heat than the 2015, but still really smooth and tasty.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Wheatables02 said:

SouthTexasAg06 said:

My favorite BM product was a Single Barrel Store Pick Sherry from Lincoln Road Package Store in MS. If anyone goes to a MSU game in the future I recommend stopping by there, the guy who owns it has some great single barrel store picks.
Headed through Hattiesburg on the way to FL next week. Will try and stop and report in.

If they have this pick, I will definitely pay you for one...
AggieJason
AG
jh0400 said:

These are technically Tennessee Whiskey, but they'll be here in a week or so.

Good stuff. Just had their Belle Meade (Madeira finished). It was tasty, but too pricey.
jh0400
AG
Any opinions on High West Campfire?
TGoll09
AG
Do yourself a favor and stop at Lincoln Road. Never had anything from there myself, but they have a very good reputation, and a TON of store picks.

Also, I came back to my WLW for the first time since I first opened it tonight. Got damn! You better hurry, or that bottle is gonna be gone. Absolute perfection. Every other bourbon is immediately ruined
tx4guns
AG
Jamie knows how to pick them. Have several of his picks. All are are stellar.
Wheatables02
AG
TGoll09 said:

Do yourself a favor and stop at Lincoln Road. Never had anything from there myself, but they have a very good reputation, and a TON of store picks.

Also, I came back to my WLW for the first time since I first opened it tonight. Got damn! You better hurry, or that bottle is gonna be gone. Absolute perfection. Every other bourbon is immediately ruined

Bro you better save me some or you're not getting any of my GTS.
TGoll09
AG
No worries, just busting your balls. I've been scared to touch that bottle bc I want it to last forever!
Credible Source
AG
This might seem odd, but I opened a new bottle of Blantons the other night and I think it sucks. It's sour, thin and gross. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Dumped 12/12/16
Warehouse H rick #8
barrel 100
registered number 90

John Francis Donaghy
I'm not a big fan of Blantons, but I've never had pour of it that was downright bad either. Sounds like a bad bottle, maybe contaminated somehow.
Wheatables02
AG
sounds like normal Blanton's with a little sunlight or maybe just normal Blanton's...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Carl Hungus said:

This might seem odd, but I opened a new bottle of Blantons the other night and I think it sucks. It's sour, thin and gross. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Dumped 12/12/16
Warehouse H rick #8
barrel 100
registered number 90

Never happened to me but I've heard of it happening to others... likely a tainted cork if I had to guess. Either way, if you get with Buffalo Trace about it they'll usually get you a new bottle and some extra swag.
Credible Source
AG
You think so? That would be awesome. Yeah it's definitely ****ty, I just poured a glass from a different bottle and it's great.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'd contact Buffalo Trace and let them know, possibly offer to send them a sample so they can see.

In other news, there's political rumblings that a tarrif on steel to Europe may result in a bourbon tarrif in return. Which, hopefully, means all that export juice would be released stateside.
Fall92
AG
What Alaskan had said. Hopefully more for the folks at home!
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
FriedTex
AG
Do you think the secondary market would only get hotter if this happens?
schmellba99
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I'd contact Buffalo Trace and let them know, possibly offer to send them a sample so they can see.

In other news, there's political rumblings that a tarrif on steel to Europe may result in a bourbon tarrif in return. Which, hopefully, means all that export juice would be released stateside.
I saw an article on that as well. They kept talking about how it would affect the bourbon industry and probably lead to either reduced production or increased domestic pricing. I kept thinking how there really would be any effect given the popularity of bourbon domestically and in countries that would not be wrapped up in any tarriff issues. Admittedly, that's a subject beyond my knowledge...but with the demand being what it is, I simply cannot see how Kentucky would experience any noticeable blip on the radar as a result because there are so many alternate avenues to maintain sales where they are at the prices they are right now.
tx4guns
AG
Maybe this will lead to those export Blanton's variants being available in the USA. I'd be OK with that.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Most of the Blanton goes to Japan, they have some special deal.

As for a reduction in production, I doubt it. It may mean they just age the juice longer. Totally unknown, I think the US market demand is there to suck it down and they give no ****s about secondary.
Credible Source
AG
That "special deal" is being owned by a Japanese company.
John Francis Donaghy
Carl Hungus said:

That "special deal" is being owned by a Japanese company.

Blantons is a Buffalo Trace product. Buffalo Trace is owned by Sazerac, which is headquartered in Louisiana.
tx4guns
AG
You're thinking about Beam Suntory.
Credible Source
AG
You're right, my bad.
aggiemike89
AG
Yeah but didn't they sell the Blantons rights to a Japanese company? Thought I read that somewhere.
AlaskanAg99
AG
That's what I was told on the tour a decade ago. I was holding SFTB but was told it's export only under their agreement. I would expect to see any Blanton export only items on local shelves if a bourbon tarrif is enacted.
aggielostinETX
AG
Interesting read from Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/34a42m/blantons_ownership_and_exports_question/
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Found some Wild turkey Decades for $98 today. That stuff is fantastic.
Credible Source
AG
I picked up a Stagg jr and ECBP, the ECBP is amazing. Haven't opened the Stagg yet
RenoAg
Carl Hungus said:

I picked up a Stagg jr and ECBP, the ECBP is amazing. Haven't opened the Stagg yet

That ECBP is scarce around Htown. And so delicious.
Credible Source
AG
I've never seen this particular bottle, we have some small
Batch barrel proofs here in town, but not this one. I traded a guy for it from New York for a bottle of W12. He shipped his ECBP to me FedEx and trusted me to send back the W12. Just a random guy from the Facebook group. Worked out quite well. I got buyers remorse after sending the W12 and made a few calls and found a replacement.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
What's the proof of your ECBP? I have a couple different ones and they're all great...
Credible Source
AG
139.4, its great!
aad03
AG
Nuke, I'm a Wild Turkey fanatic, been halfway keeping my eye out for the Decades. Throw me a frickin' bone. username @ yahoo.
Class of '03
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Email sent
Fall92
AG
Anyone care to speculate what was stolen?

http://wjla.com/news/local/bourbon-bandit-burglar-robs-hen-quarter-of-rare-bourbons
First Page Last Page
Page 250 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.