Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,856,841 Views | 38590 Replies | Last: 22 sec ago by BrokeAssAggie
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a lot cheaper than I usually see at bars.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, I wanna say I saw ORVW listed as "Pappy" at a bar last week for $40. The 15 was 55. Just ridiculous.
Wheatables02
AG
Forgot to mention at the lottery the other night I got to meet and speak with Bruce Russell, grandson of Jimmy Russell, for an extended period of time.

They had all the Russell wild turkey line available for tasting including Russell's Reserve Rye Single Barrel I had never seen before. Bruce said it's his absolute favorite wild turkey whiskey and this years is 8 years old.

It did not disappoint. Picked up a bottle and had him sign it. I've only has a few ryes, but I currently rank them-

Russels Reserve SB
Pikesville
Yippee Kay
Baby Saz
Knob Creek Rye

I own but haven't opened Bookers Rye, Michters Barrel Strength, and Willett 3 Year.

Bruce said something about the Bookers Rye being a fake story but couldn't quite decipher what he meant.

tx4guns
AG
Oh, bless his heart. He's just upset they haven't figured out a way to get $300 retail for their rye. It's not a fake story. It is most likely a one time release.

third coast.. said:

Quote:

Bruce said something about the Bookers Rye being a fake story but couldn't quite decipher what he meant.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Jock 07 said:

So a bar here is selling 20 & 23 yr pours for 40 & 50 respectively, is this in line with what bars typically charge?

I'd say that's about right. I had my only pour of P23 about 8 years ago for $20. And the bartender said it was too expensive for most people so he gave me 2oz just for ordering it. I just wanted to tick it.

I saw someone post they were drinking a 1982 bottle of a SW 6yr product and claiming it was "Pappy". My only reply was, "You really don't understand how this works".
FlyFish95
Showtime posted on 10/15/11

Quote:

to those of you who may be seeking finer spirits:

I found a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection ('09/'10) on the shelf of a store, plain as day. Majestic Liquors on Eastchase & I-30 (edge of FW/Arlington) had a couple bottles of George T. Stagg (about $78) and a bottle or two of the Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye (about $73).

5 short years this whole scene just blew up out of proportion. I walked into a random Specs in Sugar Land about 4 years ago and found two bottles of GTS in the locked cabinet for $75/bottle.
Wheatables02
AG
DryFly said:

Showtime posted on 10/15/11

Quote:

to those of you who may be seeking finer spirits:

I found a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection ('09/'10) on the shelf of a store, plain as day. Majestic Liquors on Eastchase & I-30 (edge of FW/Arlington) had a couple bottles of George T. Stagg (about $78) and a bottle or two of the Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye (about $73).

5 short years this whole scene just blew up out of proportion. I walked into a random Specs in Sugar Land about 4 years ago and found two bottles of GTS in the locked cabinet for $75/bottle.

showtime
AG
A first-time visitor to my house (this weekend) was asking questions while looking at my liquor cabinet. I explained to him that I hadn't found any of the "heavy hitters" in the wild since Jan. 2012. Thinking about situations like the one above make me sad. So many bottles left on shelves because I had no inkling what would soon come to pass.

But my only true regret is the day I bought my first bottle of Old Rip. I was a newlywed studying for the bar. I had gone to lunch with my wife and on the way home had come clean about my recently acquired bourbon-searching habit. She suggested we stop a few places and inquire. Small independent shop in uptown Dallas (now closed) pulled a 90-proof ORVW and VWFR Rye from behind the counter. More surprised than anything, mouth agape that the magic words actually worked, I took the ORVW.

Handed the bottle of Rye back to the proprietor.

That night, she asks why I don't like Rye, and I tell her that I do indeed, but didn't want to appear avaricious. She rolls her eyes and calls the liquor store to hold the bottle, only to learn that it had been sold shortly after we left. She's never let me live that down.
Brad_97
AG
Magic words were Please and Allocated or ?
FlyFish95
Of my good stuff, I have about 1/3 of a bottle of ORVW and 3/4 bottle of GTS and that's it. Once that's gone, I have not hopes of ever getting another bottle.
TGoll09
AG
Anyone else get the call from GoodyGoody this morning? My name got drawn. Pappy 15, 20, and 23 were all gone, but pretty much all the BTAC was left. I went with the WLW, which was my main target this year amyway. I'm so pumped, this is my first BTAC! Good luck to everyone else, be sure to keep your phones close today.
ww
AG
Firestone & Robertson TX Straight Bourbon:

- Anyone tasted it yet? (if yes, please share thoughts)
- Any places in DFW that definitely carry it? (supposedly it's hitting stores early this week)

Would like to get a bottle as a gift for my FIL and another for myself. I like the story of the distillery and the bourbon itself, especially now being in the Fort Worth Area.
TBomb06
AG
TGoll09 said:

Anyone else get the call from GoodyGoody this morning? My name got drawn. Pappy 15, 20, and 23 were all gone, but pretty much all the BTAC was left. I went with the WLW, which was my main target this year amyway. I'm so pumped, this is my first BTAC! Good luck to everyone else, be sure to keep your phones close today.
Congrats! You chose well. If you like to drink bourbon, I honestly think the BTAC provides more interesting drinkers than any of the PVW bottles. If you like to collect, then sure, go for the PVW...but if you've had it once, you've pretty much had it. The WLW and GTS from this year's BTAC are both pretty superb in my book...and definitely not something I would get bored with.
TGoll09
AG
Thanks! I'm definitely going to be drinking it. There are too few bottles out there for people not to enjoy them when they get the opportunity to.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I got pretty hammered Saturday night on this year's WLW. It's good. Not phenomenal.
dummble
AG
I got the call on Friday night, PVW 15.

I feel like i am way over my head.
jsn1986
AG
TGoll09 said:

Did you get an email or something of the sort to enter the drawing? I'm in the bottle club, but never get emails from them (email is correct and not in spam). Don't make it to GG often since there aren't any close by so perhaps that's part of the issue.. has Specs done their allocation?
TGoll09
AG
Yep, they sent out an email to bottle club members with a link to enter the drawing. Sorry to hear you missed out.
Beerbelly2002
AG
Got the call from GG at lunch today. On the way to claim my PVW 23. This has been a 4 year search so I'm over the moon.
AggieChemist
AG
Bought a bottle of Bookers today before it gets stupid.
AggieChemist
AG
I trace the beginning of the stupidity to about the third season of Justified. When Art and Raylan switched Blantons for Pappy all hell broke loose.
'03ag
Beerbelly2002 said:

Got the call from GG at lunch today. On the way to claim my PVW 23. This has been a 4 year search so I'm over the moon.
mind if we ask how much?

Friend of mine was offered the chance to buy 23, for $2200
Wheatables02
AG
I know GG is a lottery and I'm curious - how much did you all spend there this year? I'm thinking $800 here (which I know is virtually nothing). Also, I chose the Colleyville store. Maybe I should have chosen a Dallas one that gets a higher allocation?
AlaskanAg99
AG
AggieChemist said:

Watched a guy at Spec's clear out every bottle tonight.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

AggieChemist said:

Why is this a thing?
J.P. 03
AG
Wheatables02 said:

I know GG is a lottery and I'm curious - how much did you all spend there this year? I'm thinking $800 here (which I know is virtually nothing). Also, I chose the Colleyville store. Maybe I should have chosen a Dallas one that gets a higher allocation?
I chose a Dallas location and am apparently the only person on TexAgs who didn't get a call today.
Buck Compton
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

AggieChemist said:

Why is this a thing?
Thry announced they would reduce the number of batches from 6 to 4 and raise the price to $100 (purely to create scarcity).... Probably increases their top line by 50% and It all goes to margin. As a business I can't blame them for cashing in, it just sucks. I won't pay 100.
HouseDivided06
AG
So if you go to GG and spend $800 or more you can get on the list and get a call? Because I sadly am sure I spent more than that at liquor stores this year but guess I need to focus all on one store moving forward. Is the Specs level higher?
Wheatables02
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

So if you go to GG and spend $800 or more you can get on the list and get a call? Because I sadly am sure I spent more than that at liquor stores this year but guess I need to focus all on one store moving forward. Is the Specs level higher?

I don't think you even have to spend that. I was saying I barely spent anything at GG but I'm on their list and didn't get called.

Specs is worse as I've probably spent $1500 there along with $1500 at Total Wine.

Both of those places will have very limited business from me as all the high spending corporate accounts get most of the allocations.

I'll stick to my mom and pop stores.
Ringo88
AG
Unless you're Grand Reserve at Total, you won't be contacted about PVW or BTAC. The stock just isn't enough to satisfy the crowds.

GoodyGoody doesn't require anything other than an initial purchase to be in their Bottle Club.
oneoutofmany
AG
Made friends with a manager at one of the Goody Goody stores here in the Metroplex. She told me there were 1000+ more names on their list than last year. She said she didn't recognize any of the names on her list as regular customers. When called, some even asked her to describe each of the BTAC and PVW offerings in detail so they could make their selection. She politely declined and told them to make their choice. Got a call from her last week to inform me I was not on her list but she had a bottle each of OFBB and Michter's 10yr for me as consolation.
schmellba99
AG
AggieChemist said:

Same here. Pisses me off. And, like a sucker, I'll probably go pick up another bottle just because.
Farmer1906
AG
And so it begins.
schmellba99
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Wheatables02 said:

I chose a Dallas location and am apparently the only person on TexAgs who didn't get a call today.
I didn't either. We are in the loser's club apparently. I'm good with it, just more money I didn't spend.
First Page Last Page
Page 202 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.