Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,835,476 Views | 38379 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by Tksymm7
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FriedTex said:

RenoAg said:

That's awesome!! You gonna drink it or sell it for secondary $$?

Probably drink it. I hear it's pretty good this year and I have an affinity for wheated bourbons. But I'm going to another bourbonfest/raffle thing put on by one of the chains here on Saturday, so if I get lucky at that I may flip it - I think it's going for around 600 on secondary
DRINK THE DAMN BOURBON.

This **** is turning into wine.

I bought a bottle of 20 year Pappy at retail ($129.99)

I DRANK THE GOTT DAMNED WHISKEY.
Daytona22
AG
Agreed. I have yet to flip any bottles. If I do anything, I will buy an extra bottle for a friend and give it to them for what I paid for it. This stuff has gotten out of control. I'm barely even able to find anything anymore though. I thought the hunt was bad two years ago... ETL and RHF for $100 at one place recently. Unreal...
Mathguy64
AG
I drink every drop of every bottle I buy. I buy a bottle somewhere every two weeks on average. My cabinet tends to have the same aggregate number of bottles in it all the time.

Holy crap. Put that way I'm drinking a lot.
plowboy1065
S
Anybody else not open a bottle until they have a reserve in the bunker? I don't do it with every bottle but ones I really enjoy and know won't last long
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Bourbon season has been pretty good to me this year, considering how outrageous it still is.
So far ive managed to get at retail.
ORVW, Parkers Heritage 24yr, OFBB, (3) Elijah Craig BP, Michters 10yr, lots of Blantons (sad this is actually allocated), and Weller 12.

If I could get either a WLW, or GTS I'd be thrilled.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I normally don't crap on businesses, but I will on Homespun in Dripping Springs. Here's the owner regarding "the holy grails of bourbon"
AlaskanAg99
AG
Have you seen what Whiskey Cake charges?
Daytona22
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Anybody else not open a bottle until they have a reserve in the bunker? I don't do it with every bottle but ones I really enjoy and know won't last long
I do this on bottles that I know that I enjoy quite a bit or if I have several open bottles that need to be finished prior to opening a new one. Right now I have about 35 open so I have held off on opening a new one besides the Booker's Rye.

Have done alright this season. Have been able to get several W12s, M10, and a couple Booker's Rye. Couple ECBP's, Stagg Jr., RHF and Blanton's. Still holding out that I can find BTAC.
RenoAg
Hell no I don't wait to get one bunkered. I'm too careful on opening up new bottles as it is. If I want it I'm opening it!

Related question: anyone stockpiling anything just because you really like it and are afraid it might get too hard to find and too expensive on the secondary in the future? That's what I'm doing with Blantons SFTB now.
Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
RenoAg said:

Hell no I don't wait to get one bunkered. I'm too careful on opening up new bottles as it is. If I want it I'm opening it!

Related question: anyone stockpiling anything just because you really like it and are afraid it might get too hard to find and too expensive on the secondary in the future? That's what I'm doing with Blantons SFTB now.

I was with EC12. But I'm all out now.
Ringo88
AG
Reno,
I'll unfortunately cop to this. I have two cases of EC12 now because it's affordable and is absolutely not coming back. I've also purchased at least two-deep on any 10+ year bottle in my favored rotation; one open, one bunkered as discussed. Collectibles, too.
Ringo88
AG
AggieChemist, where do you live? If you're anywhere near Dallas, I'm happy to bring some your way next time I'm visiting family. I can still purchase 12 year age-stated-on-back-label fairly easily, and occasionally find a 12 on the front.
RenoAg
Any of yall seen this 200 ml bottle of EC Barrel Select in a store? Just saw it on the secondary. Didn't know they were making a new product.
Ringo88
AG
Gift shop novelty item only, I'm told.
John Francis Donaghy
I'm looking at buying a couple of home aging barrels, and I'm hoping to get some input.

I'm looking at buying from wither Deep South or Bluegrass Barrels, they appear to be pretty similar except that Bluegrass builds their barrels with wood from used bourbon barrels, while Deep South appears to use new wood. Both come with medium char, so no difference there.

Is their any added value to getting the virgin wood? Or is the virgin wood more of a negative, in that you have to break it in with a batch or two that age poorly before it really starts aging well? Does the aging ability drop off enough with each successive batch to be concerned about starting with the wood already having been used once?

First bourbon in is going to be OGD 114 (if I can find enough). I've had it aged in a friend's barrel and it's awesome with a little extra age.
AggieChemist
AG
Ringo88 said:

AggieChemist, where do you live? If you're anywhere near Dallas, I'm happy to bring some your way next time I'm visiting family. I can still purchase 12 year age-stated-on-back-label fairly easily, and occasionally find a 12 on the front.
Thanks for the offer. I'm in West Virginia.
AggieChemist
AG
I did spot EC Barrel Proof in the wild for $79. Anybody tried this one?
CrottyKid
AG
AC, I am surprised you have trouble finding anything in West Virginny. I am to your west in KY, and I think I can get ahold of just about anything if I really wanted to put the time in. I just don't care enough to do it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
RenoAg said:

For me it's W12 (I think I just got lucky this year) and EC12. I don't have a lot of either, not even a 1/2 case. I keep an eye out for EC12 and buy it when I find it because it is cheap and decent. Mostly looking in the sub $60 range. My booze funds are split between bourbon and homebrewing equipment. Thankfully my list of items to buy for the latter is finally a short list. Also why I don't chase the whalze, too expensive.

But when I do my focus will be on Blantons exports.
AlaskanAg99
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I'm looking at buying a couple of home aging barrels, and I'm hoping to get some input.

I'm looking at buying from wither Deep South or Bluegrass Barrels, they appear to be pretty similar except that Bluegrass builds their barrels with wood from used bourbon barrels, while Deep South appears to use new wood. Both come with medium char, so no difference there.

Is their any added value to getting the virgin wood? Or is the virgin wood more of a negative, in that you have to break it in with a batch or two that age poorly before it really starts aging well? Does the aging ability drop off enough with each successive batch to be concerned about starting with the wood already having been used once?

First bourbon in is going to be OGD 114 (if I can find enough). I've had it aged in a friend's barrel and it's awesome with a little extra age.

How big of a barrel? The smaller the barrel the faster it'll mature. Also small barrels have thinner staves and they will lose more to the angels share. So when you start adding bourbon you almost need to check it weekly.

Barrels won't last forever, with each fill the added character will take longer to develop and all the while the angels share evao rate will remain constant.

If buying a new barrel make sure you hydrate it correctly and the first run will have more loss to wood absorption. May want to start off with a cheaper bourbon for the first week, and then add OGD 114. Then another bourbon, then maybe a rye. But keep the fills going because if it dries out you lose some of the previous spirit character and then you'll lose more with the next fill due to hydrating the barrel.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
is it just me or is W12 not what it was as recent as just a couple years ago? i feel like every year it's getting worse.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ducks4Brkfast said:

is it just me or is W12 not what it was as recent as just a couple years ago? i feel like every year it's getting worse.

It's a $30 shelf turd with a plastic cap. It is what's it's always been, a low tier bourbon. Hype has driven it, and people expect it to be more than it ever was.
John Francis Donaghy
AlaskanAg99 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

How big of a barrel? The smaller the barrel the faster it'll mature. Also small barrels have thinner staves and they will lose more to the angels share. So when you start adding bourbon you almost need to check it weekly.

Barrels won't last forever, with each fill the added character will take longer to develop and all the while the angels share evao rate will remain constant.

If buying a new barrel make sure you hydrate it correctly and the first run will have more loss to wood absorption. May want to start off with a cheaper bourbon for the first week, and then add OGD 114. Then another bourbon, then maybe a rye. But keep the fills going because if it dries out you lose some of the previous spirit character and then you'll lose more with the next fill due to hydrating the barrel.

I was thinking 2L.

1L seemed too small to be able to get creative with blending, and 3L takes longer to age a batch than I'd like, plus I won't have very many people to share the results with and I really don't need to be drinking bourbon by the gallon on my own. But I hadn't considered the thickness of the staves having an effect on the angels share, you think it's worth getting a 3L to cut down on loss?

Thanks for the heads up on not doing the OGD114 first, do you have any recommendation on one company over the other? Or did you use another barrel company that I haven't looked at?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Stave thickness is going be the same regardless if 1Lmor even 5 gallon. I think they get tick around 30gallons. It's too difficult to bend the thicker staves for those smaller dimensions.

Before you put in OGD 114 put in black label Beam l. But at 2L even then you're not talking about a lot of liquid. A lot of loss will depend on your humidity etc...so it'll be trial and error. So start with something cheaper as you learn.
BQ78
AG
Got a down south barrell and quite happy. I really liked the first few batches for the increased oakiness and quicker aging, it's taking much longer now to age and less oaky.
FlyFish95
Ducks4Brkfast said:

That's the word.
0708aggie
AG
Is Elmer T Lee any good? Store near me has a bottle.
Wheatables02
AG
Firestone and Robersons TX bourbon being released on Saturday at the distillery in Fort Worth and next week in stores.

I'm not holding my breath that it's any good. Aged 5 years.
Farmer1906
AG
0708aggie said:

I'm a big fan and it's tough to find.
0708aggie
AG
What's the going price?
HouseDivided06
AG
$45-$55 I believe. I've been on the look out myself since it's once I haven't tried yet.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'd buy it if I were you.
schmellba99
AG
AggieChemist said:

I did spot EC Barrel Proof in the wild for $79. Anybody tried this one?

It is good stuff. I would get one if i were to,come across it at that price.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
0708aggie said:

My favorite, and tough to find. Grab that bottle or I will.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.