Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,854,021 Views | 38551 Replies | Last: 5 sec ago by calebbogie
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When the galveston bay area bourbon mafia puts you on the map you better recognize.
reveille23
Interesting to know. Just going from what I was told. Smoke blown up my ass apparently. Not huge into the scene, just know what I like and haven't done too bad there.

Interested to know more about the "antics"
RC_57
AG
OK, looking for some suggestions.

Company I do some work with contacted me today, said they wanted to present me with a Christmas "Care Package", so what beverage would I request? And they were pretty generous when they said "Place your request".

I said I would like some 15-year old PVW if they could find it (we're in the 'tine, but they will hit the net if necessary to import a libation.)

But let's say they unexpectedly balk or can't find my request, any suggestions I should go to since it's on their generous dime?

FYI: My normal Go To is Woodford

Thanks all
Harwood
AG
Found a bottle of angle envy cask strength, anyone know the going price?
bar2157
AG
Harwood said:

Found a bottle of angle envy cask strength, anyone know the going price?
I believe MSRP is $180, but I've seen people trying to get much higher, as in double or more. What were they asking for it?
TBomb06
AG
RC_57 said:

Company I do some work with contacted me today, said they wanted to present me with a Christmas "Care Package", so what beverage would I request? And they were pretty generous when they said "Place your request".

I said I would like some 15-year old PVW if they could find it (we're in the 'tine, but they will hit the net if necessary to import a libation.)

But let's say they unexpectedly balk or can't find my request, any suggestions I should go to since it's on their generous dime?

Thanks all

At this point in the game, they're only going to find PVW on the secondary market. Expect to pay in the $800 range for a bottle. Master of Malt had a new shipment of Blanton's SFTB in, that would be a great bottle to have and it is not terribly expensive - around $130 after shipping to the US. Maybe even get a couple of those if they were planning on springing a few hundred.
Harwood
AG
It was 199
VegasT
AG
Quote:

Thanks all

Any of the BTAC or Michters 10 or 20 yr would be my suggestion. Otherwise, go for a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 Scotch - great cross over if you like bourbon and want to venture into Scotch.

You can always download the Distiller App - it has great revues based on price ranges to get extra ideas.
AlaskanAg99
AG
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/01/clear-ice-cubes-using-a-tray-in-a-cooler.html

How to make perfectly clear.cubes or spheres.
TexasRebel
AG
Spoiler alert! Boil the water first.
FriedTex
AG
Great night tonight!

My local store (in Indianapolis) held a raffle event for about 20 folks. Had an array of bottles for sale but the stars of the show where 1 PVW 23, 1 of all BTAC, 7 Lot b, 4 ORVW, 2 Angels Envy CS

I walked away with the WLW for 99.99 - pretty excited about that!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Great odds
RenoAg
That's awesome!! You gonna drink it or sell it for secondary $$?
FriedTex
AG
RenoAg said:

That's awesome!! You gonna drink it or sell it for secondary $$?

Probably drink it. I hear it's pretty good this year and I have an affinity for wheated bourbons. But I'm going to another bourbonfest/raffle thing put on by one of the chains here on Saturday, so if I get lucky at that I may flip it - I think it's going for around 600 on secondary
Ringo88
AG
Drink it if you're a wheater. It's better than "pretty good". I got three of them this year and wouldn't consider selling them for one second. If you win another lottery, you should choose it again or take a Pappy 23 for a slightly different profile; the 23 is very good this year (balanced vs. usual oak dominance).
aggiemike89
AG
aggiemike89 said:

December 3, 2106 my office is holding our 10th Annual Pictures with Santa event. Each year in exchange for your picture with Santa, we do a toy drive for Toys for Tots. This year we are also doing a silent auction and raffle for Texas Children's Hospital. The raffle is for a bottle of 2014 ORVW 10 year old that I'm donating. I'm selling raffle tickets for $10 apiece with ALL of the proceeds from the raffle going to Children's Miracle Network at Texas Children's Hospital. You can pay via my paypal account or email me and we can make other arrangements. I will be doing the drawing on Sunday December 4, 2016 and will post the lucky winner's name here. For the lucky winner, I will either ship or if you're local I will make arrangements to deliver the bottle. Good luck Ags.

Mike at mike schroeder team dot com.
Bumping this back to the top. I"ll be holding the drawing tomorrow afternoon after the event so if any of you guys/gals want to get in on the raffle, go to my paypal account and pay for the amount of tickets that you wish to purchase. Once again, all of the money will go to Texas Children's Hospital.
bigevent99
AG
After much searching, I found a bottle of Stagg in the wild. Pretty excited about it. Will be a great gift for the old man (though he will have to share). Was a connection through about 3 contacts, but finally a bottle of BTAC.
Daytona22
AG
What state/city?
bigevent99
AG
San Antonio
Brad_97
AG
Update to the BTAC I found in the wild.

After much run around I finally got prices out of them. As expected..

WLW - $499 actually a little below secondary but still..
THH - $499 waaaaaay over secondary

Forget them.

Place is Reggis Liqour south of DFW airport.

They also had:
RHF (don't know price - have to ask for bottle)
W12 48ish for the 750 and 85ish? for big boy. Better price on big boy but I could be remembering wrong as I was distracted by the BTAC at that point.
OF 1920 for $48ish also.
Mathguy64
AG
Just found a random bottle of 1792 high Rye. Same place has a shelf full of their Wheated. Grabbed the high Rye as I'm partial to ryes in general over wheaters.

Edit: nice spicy nose. You know it's a Rye. The palate is a bit more muted but you still get that nice Rye finish. Some crisp fruit. Nice neat. And it makes a damn good Manhattan.
dmart90
AG
Yesterday evening I nabbed a bottle of the 2016 Four Roses Limited Edition. I stopped by the liquor store in Avery Ranch (Round Rock/north Austin) yesterday around lunch. Been in there a few times - got a bottle of Blanton's from them a while back. I started talking with the office manager about bourbon - she took my name down and said she would call if they got in any interesting bourbon. As an aside, I asked her if they ever got the Four Roses Limited Edition. She said sometimes, but that it was hard to get. I left and figured I would never hear from them. Well, around 4:00 I got a call from them and she asked me if I still wanted a bottle of the 2016 Four Roses Limited Edition - they just got one in. $123 was pretty high - but as good as the 2014 and 2015 Limited Editions were I was not going to pass. Looking forward to a flight of Four Roses tonight.
Ringo88
AG
dmart, thats a decent price. I've seen everything from MSRP to $199 here in Atlanta. My group was at the Cox Creek bottling facility the day they were bottling it; July 28th. Had the first "outsiders" taste of it off the line. You'll enjoy the pour; first SBLE by new Master Distiller Elliott. Congrats; low bottle count this year, much harder to acquire.
RenoAg
$199 is pretty much current secondary pricing.
TGoll09
AG
I popped in a new liquor store near me about a week ago, and they had two bottles of the 2016 Four Roses Elliott's Select sitting on the shelf. When I asked how much, they realized they had marked them a little low- 109.99. IIRC, msrp is 125 or 130. I quickly bought both, and I'm looking forward to trying it. My first limited edition bourbon, besides a Woodford Masters Collection a few years ago.
Ringo88
AG
Correct, Reno. Reporting what I've seen, but none in my case were purchased at or near secondary. What's been your favorite-tasting bottle acquired this year?

p.s. Congrats to last poster on the FR E.S.
RenoAg
Booker's Rye was fantastic. Very close second place finisher is Blanton's SFTB. Third is a FR store pick barrel strength OBSK I picked up at Lake St Liquor in Lake Charles. Special mention to the mini bottle of early 70s OGD BiB. My first taste of old National Distillery juice. Opened up a whole new world to me.

I have so many bottles in my bunker that I've not opened yet. That includes some SW juice which I've never tried.

How bout yours?

Ringo88
AG
Isn't that a great problem to have? A Dallas bourbon buddy of mine and I were laughing about this a couple of days ago; just haven't had occasion to try all of the new stuff. Bowl season will be great this year.

The Pappy 23 is a nice surprise this year; very balanced while avoiding the preponderance of oak which often haunts the bottle. The Larue is great again; a perennial favorite.

The big surprises for me are the Michter's 10 year as a daily pour, and the Michter's 20 year. Phenomenal; maybe my all-time favorite now.

Anyone else have different favorites from this year?
RenoAg
Michters 10 is a bottle I have unopened that I haven't tried yet.

Surprised to see you list Michters 20 amongst your favorites. Most reviews I have seen are not very favorable. This year's version is a blended product right? But that's why we each have our own personal tastes! I think it is great if I like something the masses don't like. Keeps the secondary pricing down if its a limited kind of bottle. I hope SFTB doesn't ever get full BTAC status like some are suggesting BT might try and give it. I don't wanna fight the masses for it. Hard enough getting it. But at least the pricing isn't too ridiculous. Yet.
tx4guns
AG
Stagg, WLW, and OF1920 have been my stand-outs in 2016 so far, with Stagg being the best. It's like 2014, just not as hot, even though the proof is 6 points higher.
Ringo88
AG
Reno, the 10 year is like the Michter's Toasted Oak with the front and back edges smoothed off. If you like the Toasted, the 10 won't let you down.

Tx4guns, really glad to hear that about this year's Stagg. Haven't opened it yet.
Brad_97
AG
Guessing I didn't win. Anyone on here the lucky winner?
reveille23
Tell me about Booker's.

Saw two different versions yesterday. One in a smooth real light poplar looking box, the other was in a stained more rustic looking box that I have typically seen. Never tried Booker's and was interested in getting some but wanted the OBs insight before pulling the trigger. Went with a Colonel Taylor Single barrel instead.
TIA
Wheatables02
AG
reveille23 said:

Tell me about Booker's.

Saw two different versions yesterday. One in a smooth real light poplar looking box, the other was in a stained more rustic looking box that I have typically seen. Never tried Booker's and was interested in getting some but wanted the OBs insight before pulling the trigger. Went with a Colonel Taylor Single barrel instead.
TIA
Can't go wrong with any of the above. You likely saw an Older Booker's from 2014 or prior with the lighter colored box. Booker's releases 6 batches per year and you have to read the small colored tag on the bottle for the batch name and number - IE Noe's Secret 2015-05, etc
reveille23
Ok, that makes sense. I think the label had a 14-06_ or something like that on it. I guess that bottle has been in there a while. The stained box didn't seem to have that same designation on the label.
First Page Last Page
Page 199 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.