Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,855,610 Views | 38571 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by Aggie Therapist
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's full of shiat.

the dude10 said:

Got a call today for stagg from a guy who sold it for $250 last year. Price was $450 this year but he had sold out already. Had some handy at same price. Still had one WLW selling it for $650. He said that was the minimum his distributor would allow him to sell it for and his agreement on that minimum price is the only reason he got any bottles. Not anything I am interested in but it won't last past tonight.
Wheatables02
AG
He's charging more than secondary. Ass clown.
RenoAg
Checked around htown this afternoon. No sign of BTAC.
FriedTex
AG
I'm guessing closely after T-day, which I'm good with. Lots of activity at liquor stores before thanksgiving with people trying to cope with their family
plowboy1065
S
Guess I'm going to have to go with a high octane bottle tonight to get through this game
Mathguy64
AG
I'm hitting the Blantons. When I throw up later tonight I don't want the extra high octane burn.
RenoAg
Almost forgot - on Wednesday evening I did see a couple of ECBP 136 proof bottles at a store while checking around NW Htown. $70 each. I passed on em. I'll probably check a couple more places this evening.
FriedTex
AG
FriedTex
AG
RenoAg said:

Almost forgot - on Wednesday evening I did see a couple of ECBP 136 proof bottles at a store while checking around NW Htown. $70 each. I passed on em. I'll probably check a couple more places this evening.

I'm in NW Houston, where abouts if you don't mind my asking
RenoAg
Try the liquor store in the HEB parking lot. They were on the top shelf with the regular bourbon.
Brad_97
AG
Frustration is...

Walked into a new to me liqour store to check it out. Prices are a bit high but pretty good selection. Looked around then on way out asked about BTAC, guy didn't know what I was talking about. Said they had Weller 12 tho - pulled out a 750 and 1.5 at just under 2x retail. I already have a couple bottles so asked if he had anything else. Next bottle he pulls is a 2016 WLW as they are high on the W12 I'm playing it cool and ask price. Won't ring up. What does he pull next to try to get a scan? 2016 THH. Hell yeah. Tell him I'm interested in both. Neither will scan. He looks for the invoice and also calls another store. Nothing. Says he can't sell without knowing price and to come back tomorrow. They came in only a day or so ago supposedly. This is 2.5 hrs from home. #*+! Said they won't sell to anyone else. Basically force him to take my name and number regardless. Got his name also but some figuring I'll never see those bottles again. Thinking about it now, prob a reason not in system or likely won't mess w following up and some other guy asking will get them. Def calling tomorrow though and hoping I get lucky and they don't start doing secondary searches. Obviously holding back details until resolved but will post back for W12 lookers.

TLDR - had two bottles of BTAC in my hands and couldn't buy them b/c they couldn't find the price.
plowboy1065
S
If it's in Houston area and you can confirm they will sale to you I can pick up and ship to you. That's too close to strike out. Let me know
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wow, that sucks man!
RenoAg
Did they still have the bottles?
John Francis Donaghy
Brad_97 said:

Frustration is...

Walked into a new to me liqour store to check it out. Prices are a bit high but pretty good selection. Looked around then on way out asked about BTAC, guy didn't know what I was talking about. Said they had Weller 12 tho - pulled out a 750 and 1.5 at just under 2x retail. I already have a couple bottles so asked if he had anything else. Next bottle he pulls is a 2016 WLW as they are high on the W12 I'm playing it cool and ask price. Won't ring up. What does he pull next to try to get a scan? 2016 THH. Hell yeah. Tell him I'm interested in both. Neither will scan. He looks for the invoice and also calls another store. Nothing. Says he can't sell without knowing price and to come back tomorrow. They came in only a day or so ago supposedly. This is 2.5 hrs from home. #*+! Said they won't sell to anyone else. Basically force him to take my name and number regardless. Got his name also but some figuring I'll never see those bottles again. Thinking about it now, prob a reason not in system or likely won't mess w following up and some other guy asking will get them. Def calling tomorrow though and hoping I get lucky and they don't start doing secondary searches. Obviously holding back details until resolved but will post back for W12 lookers.

TLDR - had two bottles of BTAC in my hands and couldn't buy them b/c they couldn't find the price.

Been in exactly this situation a number of times. Each and every time the end result once the owner is contacted is that they aren't in the system because the owner is selling them at full secondary prices, or more. Best of luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
FriedTex
AG
RenoAg said:

Did they still have the bottles?
plan is to go tomorrow to see. Black Friday traffic is for the birds
RenoAg
Hate to burst any bubbles but my experience matches yours. Yet we trudge on, undeterred from tilting at windmills.
RenoAg
Got a taste of OF1920 today courtesy of AlaskanAg. Not spectacular but it is a very good pour and excellent value in my opinion. I actually prefer it to their OFBB. But that's more of a statement about my impression of OFBB. Buy that 1920 with confidence. If you can find it.
Brad_97
AG
Called today but hadn't talked to manager re the BTAC. Did remember me. Not holding my breath.

Same place did have the OF 1870 for $46 and 1920 for $48. I'm sure that's over retail as they seemed to be high on most things

Also had the new bottle shape for EC12 w the 1879. At least I assume it's just a bottling change not a special version. It wasn't a store pick or single barrel or anything.
Brad_97
AG
Was actually hesitant to try any of the new OF as the one OFBB (2015) I tried I wasn't a big fan of
Wheatables02
AG
Brad_97 said:

Called today but hadn't talked to manager re the BTAC. Did remember me. Not holding my breath.

Same place did have the OF 1870 for $46 and 1920 for $48. I'm sure that's over retail as they seemed to be high on most things

Also had the new bottle shape for EC12 w the 1879. At least I assume it's just a bottling change not a special version. It wasn't a store pick or single barrel or anything.

1920 for $48 is the lowest price I've heard of. I believe Total Wine had it for $49.99. I paid $57. MSRP has to be $49.99
AlaskanAg99
AG
I paid less than $50 for my OF 1920. Opened it when RenoAg dropped in before noon for some bourbon sampling. Which puts a fun spin on the day. I sure didn't mind raking leaves later. Others sampled 4 Roses Spec's OSEV, W12, OF 1920, Blantons SFTB, Bookers Rye. I think one more. Mostly 1/4 oz pours. Some homebrew mixed in. RenoAg provided the big rares, Blantons and Bookers Rye. Both totally legit and 1st guest for my garage brewery w/ Black Friday TV setup. Next Ags football season will be a lot more interesting and fun.
Post removed:
by user
RenoAg
Yeah and I can bring your OFBB to you. When are you due back?
Post removed:
by user
Fall92
AG
Posted this on the FB group- picked up an Old Scout 11 year and Weller 12 at Liquid Town in Corpus this weekend. They have some good stuff if you're ever down that way. Also picked up an EHT SB there a couple of months ago.
RenoAg
Cool. But fyi I'm pretty well covered up the back half of the month of December. Guessing most others will be too. So this might work better as an early 2017 get the year kicked off right with bourbon event. Assuming you stick around stateside that long.
bonfiresmoke
EnronAg said:

My wife got me one of those little 3L barrels (I think it's 3L) for my birthday...and before venturing off into my own concoctions, I wanted to start with something simple for the holidays...does anyone have a good "cheaper" bourbon that you would recommend using to age/make a Manhattan?? I'll look up how many parts of each online, but based on experience from any of you that have done this before, is there a certain mix (how much bitters/vermouth/etc.) that you would recommend using and how long would be good time to age it...is Christmas time too early to enjoy it??

Thanks for any responses!
I had two barrels for several years. A 1L for bourbon and a 3L for port. It really does make a difference in what you put in there. I believe I waited longer than two or three weeks to decant any of the bourbon because I used a bourbon I did not like. I used Old Charter 8 year old because if it could make that an enjoyable beverage it is for real. Anyway I still have an old blog site at http://backroombourbonhome.blogspot.com . Select backroom bourbon from the home page and then you have to read from the bottom up. I kept a control sample so you can see the difference in the appearance. Hope this helps a little.
reveille23
If in far south Houston...NASA Liquor on El Camino. They just posted yesterday that they got their private barrel of High West double rye. The guys and gal in there are all about the bourbon...gotta check them out
Ducks4brkfast
AG
reveille23 said:

If in far south Houston...NASA Liquor on El Camino. They just posted yesterday that they got their private barrel of High West double rye. The guys and gal in there are all about the bourbon...gotta check them out
who picked it?
reveille23
If it is the same as the other select barrels that they have had since I found the place...the staff and a group of select customers gather and do a tasting and decide on the barrel they buy.

I will be stopping by on my way home tonight and will return with more info.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
reveille23 said:

If it is the same as the other select barrels that they have had since I found the place...the staff and a group of select customers gather and do a tasting and decide on the barrel they buy.

I don't know when you found the place, but there are guys in this thread that have personally picked a number of barrels for them that grew tired of the antics this place has pulled and I know did not pick this barrel. My understanding is they're pretty much all distillery picks now.
tx4guns
AG
What he said.

Ducks4Brkfast said:

reveille23 said:

I don't know when you found the place, but there are guys in this thread that have personally picked a number of barrels for them that grew tired of the antics this place has pulled and I know did not pick this barrel. My understanding is they're pretty much all distillery picks now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What antics?
Wheatables02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

What antics?

I've never been there but I think they are referring to the price gouging. I live in DFW and I'm aware of their high prices...
First Page Last Page
Page 198 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.