Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,837,199 Views | 38398 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by Aggie Therapist
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
If you're used to watering down your bourbon then jumping up to an ORVW 10 and drinking it neat would be a shock. I personally had to evolve my tastebuds to be able to really enjoy the finer brown water out there. I would hate for you to try a Stagg or any other barrel proof bourbon.
Vade281
AG
I've been told from a couple different people that their new bottle of W12 doesn't seem to be as smooth or tasty as last years. Anyone experience the same?
joshwayne330
Last years wasn't smooth or tasty either, so that's really not a good sign for this years version...
iehly06
AG
Premier had some last week. May be worth a call to them and see if they still have any.
txag2008
AG
Place here in Dallas with quite a few bottles if you strike out in Houston
FriedTex
AG
IMO W12 has just become a good bottle to flip or trade
tx4guns
AG
FIFY.

FriedTex said:

IMO W12 became a good bottle to flip or trade about 2 years ago.
AlaskanAg99
AG
W12 is perfectly fine for what it is, a $30 bottle shelf turd with a plastic screw top cap. That's all it ever was until the bourbon craze hit. And it is still perfectly fine at $30. If you pay more then you're a fool. This Pappy nonsense is out of control.
bigevent99
AG
Just found a 1.75 of w12. Looking to trade for etl or toward a bottle of ofbb if anyone is interested
Wheatables02
AG
One handle for one ETL?

Also, just got Rebel Yell 10. A heaven hill wheater. I like it. A lot.
Daytona22
AG
Had a chance to buy a rebel yell and old forester 1920. Which would you choose?
tx4guns
AG
1920. I've had almost half a bottle this week already. Diggity!
joshwayne330
Not sure why y'all are chasing W12 around Houston when Pappiezz is hitting...

https://m.imgur.com/jGTm7Qz
Farmer1906
AG
joshwayne330 said:

Not sure why y'all are chasing W12 around Houston when Pappiezz is hitting...

https://m.imgur.com/jGTm7Qz
Where?!?!?!?!?!?
plowboy1065
S
I'm highly sceptical that is this years Pappy released in Texas. Too early
Buck Compton
AG
Rumors were PVW wouldn't even hit retail. So anyone that has three bottles owns a bar or potentially a liquor store. REALLY doubt it's hit before Nobember anywhere in Texas.
Post removed:
by user
RC_57
AG
plowboy1065 said:

If you're used to watering down your bourbon then jumping up to an ORVW 10 and drinking it neat would be a shock. I personally had to evolve my tastebuds to be able to really enjoy the finer brown water out there. I would hate for you to try a Stagg or any other barrel proof bourbon.
plowboy I must add that lately I've changed my mix to just a couple of cubes with a splash of water, as a way to change tastes. Evolve my tastebuds as you stated

But point taken. Thank you
joshwayne330
I kinda wish all the Pappiezz went to onpremise accounts. One less thing to hunt for. I would guess that just over the past 3 years, the amount that goes to retail has dropped by 80% or more.
schmellba99
AG
When did Rebel Yell become something to chase?

I don't mess with the chase like most of you do anymore - learned to be happy with what I can find and expand my tastes to different distills. But Rebel Yell has always been a near bottom shelf product.
Buck Compton
AG
schmellba99 said:

I don't mess with the chase like most of you do anymore - learned to be happy with what I can find and expand my tastes to different distills. But Rebel Yell has always been a near bottom shelf product.
Not sure, either. I would guess that the 10 is better/more scarce so it is one to seek for? I have my one store I always go to. I know the manager, assistant manager, and liquor department head and they treat me well. I don't go to a single other liquor store unless I am out of town, in which case I will look around/ask just to see.

I don't get very far up the list for BTAC stuff since I only spend about $1,200-$1,500 per year - did get a Stagg once. But every time I go in they have an ER10, ECBP, Blanton's, etc. set aside I can get. Otherwise, there's always a Breckenridge, Four Roses Single Barrel, Booker's, etc. on the shelf I am more than happy to leave with.

Don't expect I'll ever get a bottle of pappy again. Had a 15 once a few years ago. But mixing some WA107 with some W12 and aging it a bit more in my own barrel gets close enough for me these days.
John Francis Donaghy
schmellba99 said:

Luxco has gone all in on re-branding bottom and mid-shelf products, and jacking up the prices. The same folks that brought us "Blood Oath."

Rebel Yell 10 is basically Larceny (blend of 6 to 12 year old HH wheated bourbon) that has been repackaged by Luxco... and, of course, sold for more than twice the price.
John Francis Donaghy
Wheatables02
AG
schmellba99 said:

Nobody's chasing it as stated above but it's a one time luxco release rumored to be a 10 year larceny . Tasty for $39.99 and only seen here and there.

Regular RY sucks ass.
bigevent99
AG
I'm not an expert, but I like Rebel Yell 10 a lot more than Larceny
schmellba99
AG
Wheatables02 said:

schmellba99 said:

Nobody's chasing it as stated above but it's a one time luxco release rumored to be a 10 year larceny . Tasty for $39.99 and only seen here and there.

Regular RY sucks ass.
I see a fair amount of people bragging about it. I use the term "chase" for anything that seems to catch the fancy of the masses.
Shaggie 05
AG
Couple things: The guy at specs ( Dallas - walnut & 75) told me on Monday he was expecting some Weller 12 today and was trying not to tell too many people so there wasn't a rush. So call and ask for Rudy or swing by there this afternoon/evening if you're looking for that. He also had the 107 on Monday so wouldn't surprise me if he still has some of that.

If anyone has a bottle of OFBB they are willing to part with, I'd be very interested...3rd year in a row striking out on that one, and have really enjoyed the couple pours of it I've gotten.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

Guys, y'all gotta branch out from specs.
I have. Whatever random liquor store I see around, I check out when I have time. Their selection is 99% of the time terrible. Plenty of Jack, Makers, Fireball, and Crown.
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
third coast.. said:

Well I'm in Japan and I've managed almost 10 Weller 12s from here. Would you like to trade for a nice watch?
That's the problem in the US. A metric **** ton of bourbon is going to the Asian markets and as a result, the scarcity here drives people insane and prices in the stratosphere.
Shaggie 05
AG
I only swing by specs when traffic sucks, because they are on the way home from work. 99% of my shopping is at two independent shops that know me and tend to hold things for me. Of course their pricing has climbed a bit over the last few years on those bottles, it's still better than anywhere else.
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

Well I'm in Japan and I've managed almost 10 Weller 12s from here. Would you like to trade for a nice watch?
If you bring me 100 bottles of Wellers 12 then I'll get you an old Tag or something.
the dude10
AG
I finally snagged an OFBB this year but I paid $129 for it. Way more than I wanted but I figured I might end up being the only LE bottle I see this year, so what the hell.
Brad_97
AG
Bigevent- I have an ETL I'll trade you for your W12. In DFW and CS areas at various times.
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.