Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,549 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by ryeguy
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, grocery stores tend to mark it up quite a bit around here. The Liquor Barn down the street has much better prices, but they also have a lot more customers, so even the normally easy to find good stuff is rare.

I live in Lexington. My thought was that having a visual guide sure would help. You guys are throwing around a lot of acronyms, and even if I do decipher what it all means, I have no idea where to look on the shelf. I guess I am dumb, but a picture will help me get started in the right direction.
FriedTex
AG
So from your pictures you should try:

Noah's Mill
makers mark cast strength
Bookers
Elijah Craig
Eagle Rare
Larceny

CrottyKid
AG
Thank you! I will start my homework right away.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Prices are definitely on the high side, but my personal selections would include (in order): George Dic kel 12 yr, Makers Cask Strength, 4R SB, Willet Pot Still, Blade & Bow, Knob Creek SB.
Wheatables02
AG
I can't see the batch number on the barrel Bourbon, but I only hear good things about that.
John Francis Donaghy
I'd go:

Bookers
Elijah Craig
Makers Cask Strength
Four Roses Single Barrel

And although it's not bourbon, do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of that Rittenhouse Rye from the bottom row in pic 1 too. One of the absolute best values in whiskey.

Also, check out this guy's site for bourbon reviews. It's one of my favorite places to look for reviews of bourbons I haven't had before to try to get a feel for what's in the bottle before I drop money on it. He's not snobbish and doesn't really care what's on the price tag, just his honest opinions of what's in the bottle: http://sourmashmanifesto.com/category/reviewsratings/bookers-reviewsratings/
CrottyKid
AG
Thanks
Daytona22
AG
Had some of the Barrell Bourbon last weekend and it has gotten phenomenal reviews lately. I thought it was fairly good. I liked batch 6 better than 5 but that is personal preference. I would go for that, blantons, eagle rare, larceny for varying price point recommendations.
dmart90
AG
quote:
It is definitely sweeter than your typical bourbon. Lots of vanilla in it.
I have bottles of both TX Whiskey and Rebecca Creek. Both are fine whiskies.

I see Balcones on the shelf every now and then - mostly the Single Malt and Baby Blue whiskies. I don't recall seeing their bourbon. Any thoughts on their offerings?
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
quote:

I see Balcones on the shelf every now and then - mostly the Single Malt and Baby Blue whiskies. I don't recall seeing their bourbon. Any thoughts on their offerings?
if you think Rebecca's Creek is fine, you'll think Balcones is God's juice.
dmart90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

if you think Rebecca's Creek is fine, you'll think Balcones is God's juice.
Which have you had?
Wheatables02
AG
I've had baby blue. My comment was sarcasm based on my distaste for Rebeccas Creek. I don't care much for Balcones either, sorry.
YouBet
AG
I purchased a bottle of either the True Blue or the Baby Blue and poured it out (can't remember which one). Literally undrinkable.

This was 3-4 years ago so maybe it's fine now.
'03ag
quote:
I've had baby blue. My comment was sarcasm based on my distaste for Rebeccas Creek. I don't care much for Balcones either, sorry.
good to know. I've been tempted to try balcones on a few occasions but haven't pulled the trigger.

Cants stand Rebecca Creek. Tastes like vanilla vodka
Mathguy64
AG
It's Spirit Whiskey. It basically is vanilla and oak flavored vodka.
John Francis Donaghy
Yep, "spirit whiskey" is an official product designation, signifying that the product is a mixture of whiskey and "neutral spirits" (i.e. vodka).

You can get pretty much the same result by mixing Jim Beam and Smirnoff.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Yep, "spirit whiskey" is an official product designation, signifying that the product is a mixture of whiskey and "neutral spirits" (i.e. vodka).

You can get pretty much the same result by mixing Jim Beam and Smirnoff.

That sounds awful
Mathguy64
AG
But people lap that **** up. Look at the shelf placement in stores. And the prices don't seem to deter them.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Back on track. It's been a crappy Monday, who wants to share a pour? What should I start with tonight?

John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Back on track. It's been a crappy Monday, who wants to share a pour? What should I start with tonight?

Up until 10 seconds ago, I was planning to work a full day today...
Mathguy64
AG
Start on the left. One pour each. See how far you get.
Whoop04
Only balcones I have had is the Texas single malt, and it's fantastic.
HouseDivided06
AG
Was going to say, the Balcones single malt is pretty good. But the Baby Blue is flat out nasty. I've had another one (pretty sure it was Brimstone) that was decent but different and if I remember correctly, kind of hot.
FlyFish95
Brimstone is disgusting. It's like drinking liquid beef jerky.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Only balcones I have had is the Texas single malt, and it's fantastic.

Disagree. I couldnt even finish a pour.
aggiebq03+
quote:
It's Spirit Whiskey. It basically is vanilla and oak flavored vodka.

I have to think eventually someone will figure out a scientific way to recreate the flavors of multi-year aging and be able to make some good whisky/whiskey. As prices keep pushing up there has to be incentive eventually to be able to sell premium tasting spirits without the need to store the stuff for multiple years/decades.
Mathguy64
AG
Time for a summer road trip to bourbon country!

Several years ago I signed up to be a Makers Mark Ambassador. They always send cool stuff like knitted bottle covers. Part of the deal was they put a plaque on a barrel with my name on it. Today I got notified the barrel is mature and I can go claim a bottle from it.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Got my notification that mine was ready too, although I don't think I'll make it up there. Let me know how it is.
schmellba99
AG
I have one of those too. Would love to be able to let it age for 4-8 more years before claiming it. I bet it would be a whale of a pour by then.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
Got my notification that mine was ready too, although I don't think I'll make it up there. Let me know how it is.

Too bad they won't let someone else do it for you.
Vade281
AG
Picked up some Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. Collection is growing! I feel like I'm gathering bottles faster than I can drink. Still have two bottles of Blanton's unopened...Eagle Rare, W12, OWA, and a bottle of Hakushu I picked up while in Japan. My favorite right now is Angel's Envy Rye.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. Driving round trip 2000 miles for a $50 bottle seems like a bit much doesn't it?

Wonder how I can sell that to my wife.
CrottyKid
AG
Kentucky Derby?
Daytona22
AG
I agree. Kentucky Derby is a great sell for a reason to head up to the bourbon country. We are headed up there for it and hoping to find a few bottles while I am up there.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Lol, yeah that's a hard sale, especially for my wife who doesn't like bourbon and is already annoyed with my hobby. I say hobby because I don't have a drinking problem, just a collecting problem.
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.