Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,850,381 Views | 38525 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by Aggie Therapist
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anyone tried Old Scout Single Barrel? Grabbed a bottle today by recommendation from the store owner

The cask strength? Love it
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Yes, it was the cask strength. 9 yr 120 proof. I'm usually a big fan of high proof juice so I took a chance

If imugr wasn't being ridiculous I would post a photo
plowboy1065
S
I won a store pick but haven't tapped into it yet
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Spec's Bee Cave has a few Blanton's in the glass case along with some Garrison Brother "Cowboy" for $140 (wtf??). Also saw some EC12 with red age statement fwiw....
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Spec's Bee Cave has a few Blanton's in the glass case along with some Garrison Brother "Cowboy" for $140 (wtf??). Also saw some EC12 with red age statement fwiw....

If you're a fan of Elijah Craig 12, go get yourself one of those with the age statement. When they're gone, they're gone.
HouseDivided06
AG
Have had Whistle Pig before but picked up a bottle of the Whistle Pig single barrel today. Anyone had it? Was only $2 more than the regular bottle. Also got my 1 liter Deep South barrel today. Any recs on what to do first in it? Was considering finding a bottle of Walking Stick to try in there. Have heard good things about it, but that it needs more complexity and depth. Figured that might be a good first bottle but am open to all suggestions.
Brad_97
AG
Little hole in wall restaurant on San Juan island had Noah's Mill. Pretty hot for my palate, but really liked it. Need to build up my palate as while I wanted to start just neat for a true impression, I added a touch of water before I was done.
CMP-00-
AG
Just had another glass of the standard Jefferson's Very Small Batch Bourbon (80 proof, purchased for $29.99) Not Reserve. Not Groth Cask. Not Ocean. Just straight-up Jefferson's.

Awful. Really dreadful.

I got a nice nose but almost no flavor at all. Tasted like water. Shocking, really. I tried it side-by-side with Elijah Craig 12 and EC blew it away...

Do ya'll think this is just because I've been drinking mostly 92+ proof bourbons lately? I guess I do usually gravitate towards the higher proof spirits.

Thoughts?

What I've been enjoying lately:
- Larceny
- EC 12
- Willett Pot Still Reserve
- Noah's Mill
- Knob Creek Single Barrel (favorite)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Little hole in wall restaurant on San Juan island had Noah's Mill. Pretty hot for my palate, but really liked it. Need to build up my palate as while I wanted to start just neat for a true impression, I added a touch of water before I was done.
I love high-proof bourbons specifically for those first few sips of glorious flavor explosion. But it's tough to drink a whole glass that way. At a bar/restaurant I usually order barrel proof bourbons neat, with a glass of ice on the side. That way when the burn of the high-proof starts to detract from the enjoyment, I can add exactly as much or little ice as I want.
Whoop04
It's not a good bourbon.
plowboy1065
S
Well, gonna have to dig into my unopened stash to celebrate the passing of Merle. Since he died on his bday I'm thinking Birthday Bourbon may be in order
YouBet
AG
So Noah's Mill is rare now too? That was my favorite not many folks knew about a few years ago. Damn.
HouseDivided06
AG
Can be kind of hit or miss. Been times I go and see a number of bottles but more and more lately, nada. My personal favorite as well. Although guy at Total Wine I talked to the other day said they are no longer putting that it's aged 15 years on the bottle, so not sure if they are making changes in their aging process.
superunknown
AG
If you're in Norman and looking for EC 12 with the age statement or OWA, go to the Cellar wine & spirits..3-4 bottles of each.
RenoAg
If you are in Shreveport and have the coin to drop 2k then go to Cubans Liquor. He has a bottle of 16 yr Hirsch right out on a shelf at that price. Not behind a glass case or a counter where you can't touch it. Right out on a regular shelf next to $50 bottles. He must be insane to put it out there. I took a pic but no idea how to post it. They also had several bottles of Smooth Ambler Contradiction. I'd never seen any on a shelf. $63. I grabbed one. Hopefully not bad juice. I didn't do any research on reviews. I only had a couple minutes.

Tony Ks in htown still has some Barrel strength store pick Four Roses OESK. I love that recipe on their private label bottles. Also picked up a store pick Knob Creek single barrel 120 proof there too. I didn't purchase any of the Old Scout bottles here. But its the only place in Htown I've seen Old Scout product on the shelf. In case anyone in Htown is looking for some.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Just opened a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrell...it's fantastic! First time to have it and I'm really impressed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Just opened a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrell...it's fantastic! First time to have it and I'm really impressed.

Good pour.
htxag09
AG
In Oklahoma for work. Had dinner at a little place with '13 OFBB. Drank a few pours while they played all Merle haggard. Couldn't ask for a better evening.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Wow! I have a bottle of Hirsch 20yr, wonder what that would go for.

I did try the 4R BS from Tony's and agree, love that recipe.

Also - saw a bunch of bottles of Old Scout Single Barrel at Specs off 10 and Voss if anyone is looking
RenoAg
I'm not familiar with Hirsch at all. But I think it was an aged bottle. Distilled mid 70s and would have been on the shelf originally in the early 90s. Maybe that's some special juice ala Stitzel-Weller? No idea. But there's nothing special or exceptional about the normal Hirsch I occasionally see on shelves today to the best of my knowledge.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Yes, distilled in 1974, either in 16yr or 20yr. Mine is the red wax 20yr which was the rarest. Can't remember the entire story but I believed it was produced by the old Michters distillery in PA.
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
In Oklahoma for work. Had dinner at a little place with '13 OFBB. Drank a few pours while they played all Merle haggard. Couldn't ask for a better evening
what place? headed up to norman/okc in a few weeks.
dmart90
AG
quote:
Blanton's in a locked case at specs for $52. What is this thing coming to.
I just paid $61.50 for a bottle of Blanton's. I feel dirty.

Not really. It was the first bottle of Blanton's that I have seen in a store in over a year. The people at the store told me they get at most 3 bottles a quarter. That's just crazy.

Also bought a bottle of Bone Bourbon - distilled and bottled in Smithville. Aged for at least two whole years! I should have known better. Pretty high rye content. Fairly strong leather taste. Reminds me a little of EC12. For $40, meh.

I want to like Texas Bourbon; I really do! At least Bone Bourbon better than Garrison Brothers and less than half the damn price.

Are there any good Texas Bourbons out there?
htxag09
AG
We were in a smaller place out east. But I've also had it at trappers. Good Cajun food, but it's a little pricey.

The OFBB is $9 if I remember correctly.
FriedTex
AG
Just opened a bottle of Bookers "secret" - I like it! Very complex, lots of dark fruit flavor. Worth buying IMO
plowboy1065
S
It's good stuff
YouBet
AG
quote:
quote:
X Blanton's in a locked case at specs for $52. What is this thing coming to.
I just paid $61.50 for a bottle of Blanton's. I feel dirty.

Not really. It was the first bottle of Blanton's that I have seen in a store in over a year. The people at the store told me they get at most 3 bottles a quarter. That's just crazy.

Also bought a bottle of Bone Bourbon - distilled and bottled in Smithville. Aged for at least two whole years! I should have known better. Pretty high rye content. Fairly strong leather taste. Reminds me a little of EC12. For $40, meh.

I want to like Texas Bourbon; I really do! At least Bone Bourbon better than Garrison Brothers and less than half the damn price.

Are there any good Texas Bourbons out there?
It's not bourbon but TX whiskey is really, really good especially for the price. It's my go to for American whiskey now that Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are in glass cases.
plowboy1065
S
TX taste really sweet to me. It's ok but I don't own a bottle or order anywhere
YouBet
AG
It is definitely sweeter than your typical bourbon. Lots of vanilla in it.
CrottyKid
AG
Hi guys. I am kind of new to bourbon, but I now live in Kentucky. I guess I better get going on this. If you are bored, will you take a look at this selection from my local supermarket and let me know which are a good deal? This would be for a personal collection, not to flip and try to make money. If you don't have time, no biggy. I went ahead and bought the Johnny Drum. It is my favorite right now.

Maybe this will work. Should be 11 pics with prices.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskxYtyiQ
bigevent99
AG
Crotty- I'm a big fan of town branch, particularly their rye if you like rye. Can't get it in Texas.
plowboy1065
S
Hard for me to see everything on my phone but Blantons, 4RSB, Eagle Rare, Booker's

Mathguy64
AG
I would jump all over that Smooth Ambler Rye. Its supposed to be really good.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Hi guys. I am kind of new to bourbon, but I now live in Kentucky. I guess I better get going on this. If you are bored, will you take a look at this selection from my local supermarket and let me know which are a good deal? This would be for a personal collection, not to flip and try to make money. If you don't have time, no biggy. I went ahead and bought the Johnny Drum. It is my favorite right now.

Maybe this will work. Should be 11 pics with prices.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskxYtyiQ
Prices are a little high across the board, id find a different store - Noah's Mill should be 47 usually, not 59

What part of KY are you in? Liquor Barn has decent deals from time to time. If you are close to Louisville, Westport Whisky and Wine is a great store. They get a lot of store picks that are really good as well.

CrottyKid
AG
Ddp
First Page Last Page
Page 161 of 1101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.