Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,812 Views | 38480 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by rca21978
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
Anybody on here in the UK where you can c+s me a bottle of the Blanton's SFTB?

Mike actually needs 2 bottles. One for him and one for me
aggiemike89
AG
Yeah. One for me and one for plowboy.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I passed. I thought to myself "1 Handy or 10 Eagle Rare's?"
FlyFish95
quote:
It's less than some of the secondary prices I've seen out there, but does that mean it's worth it? I've heard it was the lowest rated from the BTAC line but obviously people were still scrambling for it.

Is it worth it is a more complicated question when talking about some of these sought after bottles.
Here's a short answer. Not one single bottle of BTAC you buy is really worth what you paid for it, unless you got it at true retail price.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Completely agree. The only exception for me personally is GTS and even then I would only pay $200 tops.

One of the stores I frequent does a Pappy sign up this Friday and said I needed to be there by 3am to get a shot. Nope, just not worth it to me anymore.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Store owner told me he would sell me GTS or ER17 for $700 each. No thanks
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
Store owner told me he would sell me GTS or ER17 for $700 each. No thanks
I bet he would. That's above what I see on most secondary markets.
Eliminatus
AG
Oh man. Just got the urge to get into bourbon drinking but am a total newbie at this. I have no bourbon culture. My past experiences was cheap whiskeys and rum that I would shoot as fast as possible to numb myself.

But now I wish to feel classy and bourbon is the answer I think. But there is so much information over these past 160 pages I got cross eyed reading the first four. Then I realized it was from 5 years ago so price points I imagine have changed somewhat. Plus all the recommendations overwhelmed me.

But I figure I will start with the most commonly popping up ones here and go from there.
Ringo88
AG
This year, the "meh" BTAC selection was ER17. The Handy was selected in one survey as "Whiskey of the Year". Also, William Larue Weller rated better than the GTS. For this year, I would agree with that assessment.
The Catfish
AG
Been drinking Bourbons for a few years, but not a student of the spirit. I have found that Willet and Basil Hayden's tend to be 2 of my favorite go-to's that I can find without too much trouble. Are there commonalities between those 2? Are there others that are in that same flavor profile that you think I should try?

John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Been drinking Bourbons for a few years, but not a student of the spirit. I have found that Willet and Basil Hayden's tend to be 2 of my favorite go-to's that I can find without too much trouble. Are there commonalities between those 2? Are there others that are in that same flavor profile that you think I should try?

Willett and Basil Hayden are both high-rye mashbills, you should look into Four Roses products, which are known for high rye content.

Ans even thiugh they arent bourbon, You might also look into some lower rye content rye whiskies like Rittenhouse and Sazerac.
CrottyKid
AG
Start with some easy to find ones.
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare

From there, branch out.
Wheatables02
AG
I love four roses but don't care for Noah's mill, rowans creek, or willett still pot. Can't figure it out.

Aren't they all high rye?
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Yeah I was offered a GTS for $550, said no thanks and got A Midwinters Nights Dram from High West for $60 instead. I feel like I made the better buy.
plowboy1065
S
Purchased a Bookers Noe Secret today after reading a few reviews online. I love barrel proof bourbons and this one for me is a winner. FYI, it was the last batch from the 2015 Roundtable picks. Quite a difference between the regular Booker's I have and this one
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I love four roses but don't care for Noah's mill, rowans creek, or willett still pot. Can't figure it out.

You need to keep drinking - Noah's mill is delicious
YouBet
AG
I'm sorry but I'm still blown away that Blantons is now a rare bourbon as well as many other formerly common found whiskers. WTF!
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I'm sorry but I'm still blown away that Blantons is now a rare bourbon as well as many other formerly common found whiskers. WTF!

Matters where you're at, I see it all the time
Cowboy Curtis
AG
All day
iehly06
AG

I picked up a 4R store pick today in Houston at Tony K's. It is fantastic. OESK recipe.
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
quote:

Noah's Mill, Rowans Creek, and Willet are all sourced bourbons from KBD. KBD is a non-distiller producer (kind of), meaning they don't actually make any bourbon, instead they source (buy) it from distilleries, and blend it to make their own distinct products. There's a lot of speculation as to what KBD's mashbills are, and what distilleries they come from, but I've never seen any sort a reputable source that actually knows for sure.

*The reason I says KBD is "kind of" a non-distiller producer is because they actually have started making their own whiskey at their own distillery, I'm just not sure if they've actually started bottling and selling their own in-house made stuff yet, or if the first batches are still coming of age. Either way, the vast majority of their stuff on shelves today, if not all of it, is still sourced product at this point in time.
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
I picked up a 4R store pick today in Houston at Tony K's. It is fantastic. OESK recipe.

I would love to find one of these in store. I have never seen one. Are they about $60? I have an OESO on the way to me via mail as I traded a Michter's 10 year Rye I found for an Elijah Craig 18 and an OESO.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

I'm a bourbon noob but I read that 4 roses is the highest rye of all the bourbons. Maybe you just like Rye Whiskies?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Four Roses
iehly06
AG
61.99 + tax
Wheatables02
AG
Blanton's in a locked case at specs for $52. What is this thing coming to.
Fall92
AG
Which Spec's?
Wheatables02
AG
Arlington. Cooper st.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Blanton's in a locked case at specs for $52. What is this thing coming to.

At least it's a fair price
FriedTex
AG
quote:
61.99 + tax

Store in Indianapolis had all of the yeast strains for 45/piece

Heckuva deal
Wheatables02
AG
I would have bought one of each, no doubt.
FlyFish95
Not crazy about blantons.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Anyone tried Old Scout Single Barrel? Grabbed a bottle today by recommendation from the store owner
the dude10
AG
Yep it's pretty freakin awesome. One of my favorites
First Page Last Page
Page 160 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.