Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,488 Views | 38480 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by rca21978
FriedTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr for 45 there, so I felt like I was winning anyways
chris2010
AG
Found two bottles of Weller 12 at Liquid Town off Saratoga in Corpus today. They had one bottle left
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
Found two bottles of Weller 12 at Liquid Town off Saratoga in Corpus today. They had one bottle left

That and the half dozen or so bottles of antique 107 on the shelf at specs and you gotcha some poor manz pappiezzz
FriedTex
AG
Has Weller 12 gone down hill lately? I just pulled a 3mo age of Poorman Pappy and it's just "ok" - w12 seems like it's just a touch better than buffalo trace
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Did you barrel the "PMP" or just blend?
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Did you barrel the "PMP" or just blend?

Barrel, 3L worth
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:

The owner usually gets them in on Friday. Just save some for me.

You should see the waiting list for blantons and Elmer T lee there. It's laughable.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
Has Weller 12 gone down hill lately? I just pulled a 3mo age of Poorman Pappy and it's just "ok" - w12 seems like it's just a touch better than buffalo trace

Not my stock I've recently got. Much better than BT.
I would just mix the Weller 107 in a bottle or decanter and let it sit a couple weeks to blend with the 12. Use some limestone filtered spring water in the mix too.

Definitely not as much going on as the PVW 15yr, but it's still a great drink
YouBet
AG
Thread elsewhere brought me back here. Stopped following a while back because like most of you bourbon became boring to me when you only ever see the same 3 brands on the shelf anymore.

These days I just buy TX because I like it, it's local, and it's relatively cheap. Other than that, I anticipate Christmas every year when my BIL who works for Brown Forman shows up with 3-4 bottles as my gift. They will last me all year if not longer.

This last year I received the following:
Gentlemen Jack
Basil Hayden's
Old Forester 1870
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Gentlemen Jack is average from what I remember. OFBB is awesome. Never had the other two. Not sure how I haven't had Basil before.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Anyone else a fan of Ranger Creek? Aggie owned. Went on the tour last weekend and was pretty impressed.
RenoAg
Bourbon Tales from the last several weeks:

• After stringing me along for several weeks, the store owner that sold me the 2 bottles of Rock Hill Farms flaked on me and was unable to get any more. I bought a few other bottles from him over that time that I had been meaning to try (but hadn't yet) anyway. Which leads me to....
  • Basil Hayden's. Why the love for this from so many? I have no idea. Maybe just my palate preferences but I was not impressed at all.
  • Also tried my first Van Winkle of any sort at a steak house in Mississippi a few weeks ago. Only $11 for a pour of the 12 year Lot B. I had 2 pours and the pours were very generous! I was prepared to be underwhelmed. But I must say that beyond any doubt, this was the finest bourbon I have ever tasted. It is not even close. It was like a flavor explosion went off in my mouth with every taste.
  • I also had occasion to open up my bottle of 10 yr ORVW. With the Ags making it to the sweet 16 and my grandfather who lived to 98 years old passing away on the same weekend, I finally had reason to open one of my own Van Winkles. Had a pour mainly in honor of my grandpa. Maybe the mood I was in but I was not near as impressed with the ORVW. It isn't bad. Just nothing special. I'll have to give it another whirl sometime to find out. I'm guessing it really isn't that big of a deal though.
  • To those that like Old Grandad 114 - yall are some nasty SOBs. Hahahaha. That stuff was terrible. I won't even mix it with coke. At least it was cheap so it isn't like it is going to hurt pouring it down the sink.
  • I've never liked any Four Roses regular bottles that you can find on the shelves at any liquor store. But I had a store owner in Louisiana talk me into trying their store pick barrel strength. It is now one of my favorites. So much so that I went back to buy another couple bottles of it and get a couple of their other recipes that are also barrel strength.
  • Been fortunate to find and buy several different bottles of Smooth Ambler Old Scout, a Jefferson's Ocean Cask Strength and a Parkers Heritage Malt Whiskey (all in Louisiana). Haven't tried them yet though. I keep reaching back for the Four Roses store pick I recently bought and the Rock Hill Farms.
  • As a general note, I have way too many bottles now. Many with only a pour or two that I have taken from it. And quite a few that have not been opened at all yet. I think I am going to have to become more selective in my purchases. But at least I am forming a more educated palate and opinion of what I like to be able to whittle down what I want to buy. Anyone else have this problem?

Hope all of your bourbon adventures continue.
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
If you don't like OGD 114, Basil Hayden, or Four Roses products, then the moral of the story is that you don't like like high rye bourbons.

Stick to wheater and traditional mashbill and you should be fine.

Also, you can keep the high rye bottles that you have and use them for cocktails that call for Rye whiskey. They'll be a serviceable substitute.
Daytona22
AG
Bought the PHC malt a few months back and tried it at a bar shortly after before I opened mine. I wasn't a huge fan of it personally. Not like the last few releases of PHC. Looking forward to the new release though.
superunknown
AG
Just got an email from Deep South Barrels. 30% discount on their non package deal mini barrels. Minimum order $75. Promo code "insanity". If you were thinking about jumping into mini barreling now is a good time!
AgLiving06
I doubt this has sold:

http://www.kingwood.com/classifieds/view_details.php?classified_listing_id=352711&back_link=%2Fclassifieds%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D

quote:
20 year Pappy Van Winkle whiskey $900
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
I doubt this has sold:

http://www.kingwood.com/classifieds/view_details.php?classified_listing_id=352711&back_link=%2Fclassifieds%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D

quote:
20 year Pappy Van Winkle whiskey $900

Depending on what release year that is, it can actually be resold for 1200-1500$ (unfortunately)
YouBet
AG
Good lord that is ******ed and so our people.
MW03
AG
quote:
I picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr for 45 there, so I felt like I was winning anyways

I coming down to the end of my bottle of Stagg Jr I got last year for my birthday. I still prefer the elder, but it's a damn fine bourbon.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
$130 would be an amazing price for elder Stagg, unfortunately. I'd give $150 without thinking.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
Got $130, I know where some is

Sure. I'll take that price anywhere now for GTS.
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
You talking about GTS or Jr?
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
quote:
quote:
You talking about GTS or Jr?

JR I wouldn't pay more than $60 or so for it. If you can get GTS for 130$ somewhere I'll pay extra for you to grab it for me.
tx4guns
AG
He's talking about Jr. TC would have bought it had it been daddy Stagg.
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
quote:
quote:
He's talking about Jr. TC would have bought it had it been daddy Stagg.

Haha yup. I thought the laugh cry emoji was a dead giveaway.
got me. I was thinking GTS
FlyFish95
Four Roses 125th Anniversary Small Batch would make anyone like high-rye whiskey.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Speaking of Stagg Jr. the South Austin Specs has 5 bottles for $47. Also saw some Jeffersons Ocean CS.
Stan Crowch
AG
Saw a bunch of Blantons at a liquor store in Jaimaca beach. Haven't seen that on the shelves in a while.
AgLiving06
Had Blantons this weekend in New Orleans. very smooth pour.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
If you're ever in the UK, or where you can get Blantons Straight From The Barrel, try it. Great juice, especially if you're a fan of barrel proofs
aggiemike89
AG
Anybody on here in the UK where you can c+s me a bottle of the Blanton's SFTB?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I found a Handy for $299...is it worth buying?
SouthTexasAg06
AG
It's less than some of the secondary prices I've seen out there, but does that mean it's worth it? I've heard it was the lowest rated from the BTAC line but obviously people were still scrambling for it.

Is it worth it is a more complicated question when talking about some of these sought after bottles.
First Page Last Page
Page 159 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.