Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,421 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by La Fours
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like a good day, HBC. Happy birthday!
defroach
I just got on to untappd. I may end up following some of you just so I have some activity on there...

My username is aschwab.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9766801

So it's clean out the fridge time and the Y-ling has been sitting long enough. This is the last of the porter/pilsner/lager trio. I consider Y-ling a cheapie east coast beer so my expectations going in are not high - pretty much in line with a Lonestar or Shiner.

Actually the traditional lager is pretty decent. Granted the nose wasn't much and it was light on taste but it was very drinkable and the taste it did have was agreeable. To compare, a couple months back I had a Karbach Sympathy for the Lager. Although Karbach had more taste, it was not a taste that I enjoyed. I would take Y-ling over them any day. Yeah, I know that won't make a lot of you Karbach lovers happy but that is my taste analysis.

Overall I give this a good grade as a mass produced brew.
spadilly
S
Yuengling.

And yes, the novelty factor makes it that much tastier.

[This message has been edited by Spadilly (edited 7/8/2012 9:34p).]
spadilly
S
No Label Mint IPA tonight at Star Pizza.

Didn't taste much mint in it, but a B+ on their IPA. Honesty, this was after a St A Endeavor, so my taste buds may have been spoiled already.
713nervy
AG
I've had 8 Burton Batons aging at the top of my closet for 2 years now--most excited.
cpscAG06
AG
i live in Dallas and i have been unable to find Burton Baton in over 2 years.
AggieOO
Yuengling is nothing to write home about. It was a cheap draft beer for 6 years while I was in NYC. Nothing against it, but I'd never go out of my way to find it.
AggieOO
quote:
where are yall finding the Rebecca Creek Small Batch?

its Ranger Creek.

and in Austin, I've seen it at Sunshine Mini Mart and Specs.
defroach
Yuengling, to me, is nothing special. People say the same thing about it when they cannot get it to what people say about Shiner when they cannot get it (these days, it seems shiner is everywhere though). It is overhyped when you cannot have it.

Same thing goes with Whataburger and In-n-out.
army01
AG
Burton Baton is tough to come by in DFW, especially in FW.

I have 3 aging -- one from the 2010 release and 2 from the 2011 release....
gordo97
AG
i had this one saturday..... they really overdid the amount of honey in this beer making it way too sweet.... after a while that's all i could taste.... pretty awful..... really disappointing cause i love rogue otherwise (except for that voodoo trash)

army01
AG
Man....everyone bagging on the Voodoo.

I get it, it doesn't taste great, but what did everyone expect? YOu can clearly taste the smokiness of the bacon and the sweetness of the maple. While not a great tasting beer, I think they hit the mark with what they were going for.
defroach
They may have hit the mark, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. You can experiment at your brewery and have it on your tap wall for fun, but that doesn't mean you should bottle it and sell it. It is fairly obvious that it was a gimmicky thing that they did knowing people would buy it regardless.
AggieOO
quote:
i had this one saturday..... they really overdid the amount of honey in this beer making it way too sweet.... after a while that's all i could taste.... pretty awful..... really disappointing cause i love rogue otherwise (except for that voodoo trash)

interesting. i wonder if they added honey to the secondary, b/c any sweetness from honey added during the brewing process would ferment out. You still get a honey flavor, but no sweetness, if that makes sense.
713nervy
AG
quote:
i live in Dallas and i have been unable to find Burton Baton in over 2 years.

That's...really sad.

It's on tap at The Meddlesome Moth right now. At least it was last week! One of my top 5.
p-wonk01
AG
A few of my friends were heading to Sonoma last week so I "encouraged" the guy to head to Russian River and try the entire sample tray. He did and ended up proposing later that evening. I don't mean to say that RRB helped, but...

I ended up with a Damnation and Consecration out of the deal!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
While not a great tasting beer, I think they hit the mark with what they were going for

Yep, and the goal was to mix up a bunch of singularly interesting ingredients into a batch, don't really care if the taste is awesome or not, hype it, jack the price and turn it loose on the craft beer "Apple Fanboy" following.

Honestly, the brew made me lower my marks for Rogue in general.
AggieOO
someone is taking their beer drinking too seriously.
jetch17
NColoradoAG
Looks like everyone had a nice 4th of July week! I took most of the week off from work and just hung out with my daughter, pup, and grill. A couple friends showed up throughout the vacation as well. We ran through a ton of different (and old standby) brews. Off the top of my head:

Three Floyds Zombie Dust (my last two, must get moar)
Pliny (x2)
Sanctification
Stone Ruination 10th anny
Lips of Faith - Biere de Mars, Tart Lychee (x2)
Avery Uncle Jacobs
New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red
New Glarus Apple Ale (one and a half in my belly, the other half in my rib wrap)
DFH Festina Peche (split the four pack w/ the wife. She likes it more than me)
Founders Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, and Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Bells Expedition Stout (2009)
Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
Lost Abbey Red Poppy and Framboise De Amorosa
Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic
Boulevard Saison Brett (2011 and 2012)
OB Ten Fidy
Odell IPA (12 pack)
Ska Modus Hoperandi (lost count)

And we split a growler yesterday of Masala Mama that my buddy brought back from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery.

I don't think I will be drinking much beer this week.

And I've never had the Maple Bacon from Rogue. Didn't sound appealing and the price tag wasn't worth the experiment. I can't bring myself to buy a pink bottle either.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 7/9/2012 5:06p).]
jetch17
AG
Nice damage, Ncolorado
NColoradoAG
The 2009 Expedition was fantastic. I also really enjoyed the 2011 Saison Brett. I've never had the patience to age one because I love it fresh. The hops were still there after over a year. And Cantillon is always the shiz nittlebam snip snap slap.
jetch17
AG
Is it gay that I'm drinking a Blue Moon 'Summer Honey Wheat' ? One of those variety packs was left at my house, I'm sure not one to let beer go to waste.

It's not great, but it's not terrible for mass produced 'craft' beer
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
Is it gay that I'm drinking a Blue Moon 'Summer Honey Wheat'

I bought a bunch of that stuff last year when Specs was literally blowing it out. It was my lawn mowing beer and it served that purpose well. It also works for the ladies who seem to gravitate to Blue Moon.

This year the lawn mowing beer is Bavik Pilsner. At a Spec's blow out of $0.60 per can it was too good to pass up. Hey, it's Belgian! Not bad after being hot from outside but also not a sit down with one and enjoy beer either.
defroach
Bad picture but this is most of my stash from my Asheville trip...

Jock 07
AG
quote:
Is it gay that I'm drinking a Blue Moon

Is your schlort up another dude's pooper?
jetch17
Jock 07
AG

Pretty decent British barley wine, have had better however
713nervy
AG
Schlort, you say?
Jock 07
AG
Cause that would definitely be gay
BSD
AG
NColorado tore it up!!!! The Saison Brett is pretty solid. I've had a few on tap lately and have some 2011's in the fridge.

And don't be gay, Jetch.
jetch17
AG

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 7/9/2012 10:43p).]
army01
AG
quote:
quote:
While not a great tasting beer, I think they hit the mark with what they were going for

Yep, and the goal was to mix up a bunch of singularly interesting ingredients into a batch, don't really care if the taste is awesome or not, hype it, jack the price and turn it loose on the craft beer "Apple Fanboy" following.

Honestly, the brew made me lower my marks for Rogue in general.

Really? It's a bit beer. I figured most would realize that. Like a lot of things that DFH does....
AggieOO
probably won't a make it there in time to get one, but Whip In just got russian river/sierra nevada BRUX 750ml (very limited). Gonna swing by after work and see if there's any left.
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.