Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,653,725 Views | 62634 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buy or trade?
steve00
AG
Buy
turfman80
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's always ipa season.
Truer words were never spoken!

Did someone say IPA season?

maca1028
From that site we were all talking about a few days ago?
steve00
AG
Yep. I must have bought 6-8 different lots from there in the past few weeks. It is a great way to get stuff you can't get locally if you are willing to pay extra.
Jock 07
AG
Well I was in the neighborhood and figured I'd stop by ivywild to see if Bristol had gotten any better as I haven't been over here in probably 2 years. It hasn't. Actually surprised how busy it is here, although it is a pretty cool spot despite the ****ty beer
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for the trade, AgEng06! An amazing one off farmhouse ale from Jester King. Was saving this for a special occasion, just split it with my girlfriend to celebrate our move to Nashville and new jobs and ventures.

Wish they'd brew Encendia again!
62strat
AG
Man, Jock PPL did get some cantillon, I showed up 3 hours after FB posting and missed the last one by 20 min the dude said.

They kept 2 of each and will auction them off for charity. Wonder what they'll fetch for.
AggieOO
quote:
I didn't say those were. Again, was simply asking an incredibly harmless question. Definitely won't ask again.
unfortunately, this is one of those times when tone/inflection would come in handy on the interwebs. Seriously not a big deal. i see how the comment(s) came across, but wasn't meant as such.

so to answer your question without listing a bunch of beer styles, here are some of the main styles i love...

Almost anything malty. As much as I dislike super hoppy beers, i love big malty beers, which means I'm a big Belgian fan.

Trippel
Dubbel
Quads
Saisons (obviously not farmhouse/sours, but regular saisons are one of my favorite styles)
Wits
Stouts
Porters
Hefe
Dunkel
Barleywine
Brown Ale
German Lagers
American/Belgian Strong Ale
Scotch Ale

that's obviously not the extent of what i like, but should give a pretty good sampling.
Scriffer
AG
quote:
Scotch Ale
big-ag
AG
Love this thread. Got onto the BeerCollectibles site and ordered Heady, Focal Banger, and Crusher.

What do you need to post images?
AggieOO
quote:
quote:
Scotch Ale

had one of those at the Great Dane when we were in WI a couple weeks ago. Next time I go, I'll try to remember to bring you back a crowler.
62strat
AG
quote:

Trippel
Dubbel
Quads
Saisons (obviously not farmhouse/sours, but regular saisons are one of my favorite styles)
Wits
Stouts
Porters
Hefe
Dunkel
Barleywine
Brown Ale
German Lagers
Scotch Ale

that's obviously not the extent of what i like, but should give a pretty good sampling.
This is about where I'm at.. but plus sours. After years of drinking IPAs I found the belgian styles and never really looked back. Especially love the sours of the belgian variety, but am also a fan of the american fruited or wine barrel aged sours.

Have you ever tried a soured stout? maybe something that might acclimate your palate to the sourness.

AggieOO
sours just don't do it for me. Its a similar thing as coffee. I don't like the taste. I've tried all kinds of different types of coffee to try and acquire the taste over the years, but it never gets better. Same with sours. Just not my thing. I've learned to just drink what I like, but I don't even bother tasting sours anymore. With IPAs, its not that I hate them, I just don't prefer them. I'll drink it if its the only thing available and I'll taste them if the wife orders one. As for a sour, I'd just not drink beer before I'd drink a sour. that's how much I dislike them.
big-ag
AG
Ordered this one at a work dinner last night.

Within 5 minutes, everyone at the table had ordered one. So good.

SecoKid
AG
When I am looking for a great malty beer, I pick up some Alamo Amber Lager. I think it is one of the best malt forward beers brewed here in SA. Not sure if you can get it in Austin.
WorkBoots09
AG
For any of y'all in DFW, we're having a free tasting at JR Bentley's English Pub in downtown Arlington next Friday July 29th. For those of y'all that don't know, my wife and I are starting a brewery in the Arlington area, and we're having tasting events at our favorite local pubs and bars to share our beer and meet y'all. If you want some backstory on us, check out our blog at newmainbrewing.com

The event should be a blast. Come in to JR Bentley's, order an appetizer, one of their awesome burgers, or just a drink and they'll give you a card for four free 4oz pours of our beer. We should have our Centennial Pale Ale, French Saison, American IPA, and our Porter on tap. The Porter and the Saison are both gold-medal homebrew recipes of ours.

Hope to meet some of y'all out there. Cheers!
Represent830
AG
Photobucket account. Click on share after you have uploaded it and copy the direct link. Use the IMG tags on here and voila, you can haz picture.
Represent830
AG
quote:
quote:

Trippel
Dubbel
Quads
Wits
Stouts
Porters
Hefe
Dunkel
Barleywine
Brown Ale
German Lagers
Scotch Ale

This is about where I'm at.. but plus sours. After years of drinking IPAs I found the belgian styles and never really looked back. Especially love the sours of the belgian variety, but am also a fan of the american fruited or wine barrel aged sours.

Have you ever tried a soured stout? maybe something that might acclimate your palate to the sourness.

See?? I like a lot of those! I'm not a huge fan of strong ales but I've had some variants that were amazing. I think it was the Bruery that did a strong ale one that was incredible. Melange I think it was called.

Have you been drinking a crapload of Live Oak Hefe?
AggieOO
quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you been drinking a crapload of Live Oak Hefe?

i'm in austin, so never had a problem getting it.

but to answer the question, yes.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Awesome WorkBoots! Very cool you guys are opening up over in Arlington. I'll be down in College Station the 29th, but keep us posted on more events because I would love to get out and try your beers. Glad to see a fellow Ag opening a brewery around DFW! Is the blog the best way to keep up with you guys for now?
WorkBoots09
AG
Yessir, we update the blog pretty much weekly to keep everyone apprised of our progress. We're also all over social media if that's your thing. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Snapchat.

Just so I'm not coming across as spammy, here's a photo of my 1000th beer on Untappd

62strat
AG
1000 check-ins, or distinct beers?

I'm at 962/710. getting there. I forget to check in many times if I've already had the beer, but usually any first time for me, I remember to check in. My check in number is probably really 1500.

To the anti-sour person, you say you don't like the 'taste' of sours.. sour isn't really a taste. The base beer has a taste, whether it's a rich malty stout, a light fruited saison, a wine barrel aged, a piney or citrusy ipa, etc..

Sour is a mouthfeel.. you feel it on your tongue. That's why I asked about a sour stout. It tastes like a stout, but it tingles.
AgEng06
AG
I'm at 438 distinct (523 check-ins, I usually only check in on new beers), but I had a period of a year or so where I had an account but never logged anything. Sometimes I'll log a beer if I remember having it and haven't logged it.

As an aside, I have a buddy that is currently at 2,803 distinct (3525 check-ins)...
AggieOO
not sure how sour is not a taste. I understand how the base has a flavor, just like a barrel aged beer has a base taste. but just as my wife doesn't like BA beers b/c she doesn't like whiskey, i don't like a sour beer.

regarding untappd, i'm sitting at 1123 distinct beers. It blows my mind that I've checked in that many beers (and most likely missed a bunch too) and i haven't even scratched the surface of available beers.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Sour is definitely a taste, and it's been an established taste for a while. A soured stout may do something different to change the mouthfeel versus a standard sour (different level of carbonation, etc), but if he doesn't like the actual taste of sour, the only way to change that will be to train his brain slowly into enjoying the reaction that happens when your taste buds are triggered by something sour. That is easier said than done obviously.
NColoradoAG
The last few pages of this thread make me want to drop kick kittens. Lets talk about the beers we like, what we like about them, where to get them, and when we're all going to drink them instead of telling people what the should or should not like and what they should and should not taste. There's too much good beer out there for everyone. Enjoy it and spread the word about craft beer instead of being snobby.

Ill go back to kissing unicorns at the end of the rainbow now.
AggieOO
on that note, i need to find this as soon as it hits shelves:

dave99ag
AG
I'm going to crack open some Toppling Goliath bombers I brought back from Minneapolis this weekend. Can't wait to try more of their beers!
DaveHimself
AG
quote:
quote:

After years of drinking IPAs I found the belgian styles and never really looked back.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. Belgian styles were the first "craft beer" I really enjoyed. Then I got into IPA's a few years ago and rarely seek out Belgians anymore.
I actually remember following AggieOO posts when I first started lurking this thread 3-4 years ago to get ideas for new beers b/c I saw that he liked Belgians and everybody else was talking IPAs...so don't stop posting AggieOO!
Scriffer
AG
quote:
The last few pages of this thread make me want to drop kick kittens. Lets talk about the beers we like, what we like about them, where to get them, and when we're all going to drink them instead of telling people what the should or should not like and what they should and should not taste. There's too much good beer out there for everyone. Enjoy it and spread the word about craft beer instead of being snobby.

jetch17
AG
I'm having a Town in City Chipped Tooth IPA, another new houston brewery

It's ok, doesn't blow my zipper out though

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
If anyone has an Atrial in Houston they're willing to part with, lemme know. Got an extra loon to trade.
Two Down
AG
Some of my recent (last week-ish) takedowns...

62strat
AG
quote:

I don't know if this is directed at me, but I most certainly wasn't telling him he SHOULD like sours.. I'm simply pointing out that a sour is not small set of defined tastes within a style, like an ipa or amber beer, and maybe, just maybe there's a sour beer out there for him if he's interested in seeking it and didn't realize a sour came in so many varieties. Just as many of us surely have tried to find the craft beer that we can get a macro lager drinking friend to accept. It's trial and error, but it's always a fun challenge in my mind to find that beer that that person who says they don't like beer will like. Or on a smaller scale, a certain sour someone who doesn't like sours will like.

Big difference between being snobby and trying to be helpful and informative.
First Page Last Page
Page 975 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.