Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,656,002 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by maca1028
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well pretty much any belgian version, they know what they're doing over there. i mentioned affligem, that's the one that got me into it. St. bernardus has one that's widely available. umm, maredsous 10. American wise, I've had the new belgium version, the tall grass velvet rooster, victory golden monkey, allagash, some others.

They actually all taste pretty similar to me, I guess american's haven't taken the style and made it their own, like lots of other styles started in Europe. So pretty much anyone you get should be good if you like the style.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Been a little while but here's my entry for the evening.

One of my favorite beers I've found since coming out to California-- and they sell it at the c-store a couple blocks away!

Really aromatic pale ale-- maybe the most aromatic I've experienced (makes sense as they claim to have dry-hopped it like an IPA)-- and just overall so tasty the way you want an American pale ale to be.

So good I forgot to snap the picture before drinking a good part of it!
NColoradoAG
Uncle Jacobs is so good! I have 12 sitting in my basement after reloading last weekend. One of the best barrel aged beers I've ever had.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
defroach, is that Guadalupe Brewing that you are talking about? Do they have a saison? Their website only talks about 2 beers.

http://www.guadalupebrew.com/
defroach
Yeah it was that one. The bartender just called it their "Belgian Ale or Beer"...can't remember what he specifically said but it had just come in a couple of days before.
BSD
AG
quote:
I had a bottle of Bacon Voodo last week. Terrible. And I still owe BSD for a bottle he got me. Seriously. Let me pay you already.

I should pay YOU for taking it off my hands!
BSD
AG
quote:
Uncle Jacobs is so good! I have 12 sitting in my basement after reloading last weekend. One of the best barrel aged beers I've ever had.

I had this last weekend. Good beer!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
From back during this week ...

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9519922

Don't know why I put off trying this one from Real Ale. Finally got around to it and it is quite good. Looks like I need to investigate the rye brews more. Always fun to find a tasty local/regional beer.

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 7/7/2012 12:06p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
... and this one from last weekend.

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9491092

Not much nose maybe some malt. Not bitter. Not much taste either. Maybe my senses are shot? Nice golden color. Just not getting it.

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 7/7/2012 12:05p).]
BSD
AG
It was pork rib night at my house and unfortunately my buddy brought over some Brewdogs, but everything else was good (actually one Brewdog was bad...see below)

Port Brewing Wipeout IPA (7%)
Founders Breakfast Stout (tied for #1 on the night)
Brewdog/3 Floyds B*tch Please (seriously, tastes like cocaine, or so they say...or as my buddy said in a more PC manner, tastes like a used Bandaid)
Brewdog Paradox Port Dundas (imperial stout aged in a former Port Dundas 1966 cask...10%...not bad)
Firestone Walker Double Jack DIPA (the other #1 on the night)
Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary IPA  (10.8%)... Good but nothing spectacular

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 7/7/2012 9:53p).]
Green Fairy
AG
Knocked out the Ruination 10yr Anniversary tonight along with a New Belgium/Lost Abbey Brett Beer. The NB/LA collaboration was ok, but nothing I would bend over backwards to find. I liked the Boulevard Saison Brett that I tried a week ago a lot better. The 10yr Ruination was really good, but I'd have to do a side by side with the normal Ruination to tell the difference between the two(like the bottle says there is). If I can polish this last bit off of the NB/LA I may crack open one of my Ranger Creek Small Batch #1's to give it a whirl.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 7/7/2012 9:44p).]

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 7/7/2012 9:46p).]
Green Fairy
AG
Ranger Creek Small Batch #1 reminds me very much of Jester King's Boxer's Revenge without the tartness. It's probably the oak barrel aging that does it. This is not at all what I expected from this beer, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I have two more that I'm going to age for a while...we'll see how those turn out.

Agmechanic and I have talked about doing a beer tour of Texas. This really needs to happen. I'm not sure how the logistics would work out to be able to hit up the breweries while they're open(since most have weekend "tours".) I'll leave that up to you smart folks to figure out.

[This message has been edited by Green Fairy (edited 7/7/2012 11:05p).]
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Not a BrewDog fan, BSD?

Thought they were supposed to be pretty good. I've only had a couple of their styles but recall liking them, though it's been at least a year or so.

When I was backpacking Europe two years ago I read an in-flight magazine talking about how they've only been in production for (now) half a dozen years or so but the quality was such that they'd grown very quickly. I remember thinking it was pretty amazing considering I knew their stuff had already been available at the Texas Ave. Specs.
army01
AG
A bit of a celebration tonight, as the bank account grew with the closing of the house, and possibilty of a few other good things happening in the near future..

This one has had some negative reviews, but I didn't think it was too bad

[This message has been edited by Army01 (edited 7/8/2012 12:07a).]
Jock 07
AG
I broke my infinium out a couple months ago and was disappointed to say the least, especially since the bottle was like 25 bucks
defroach
Stone 10 year
Lost Abbey/NB collab
Austin Beerworks Fire Eagle
Real Ale Lost Gold

Decent night tonight...nothing too special
jetch17
AG
Specs up on 249 had an asston of Voodoo come in and a bunch of guys were in there making a big deal about it... I had to burst thier bubble and told them it was ass.
jetch17
AG
Dp

[This message has been edited by Jetch17 (edited 7/8/2012 9:33a).]
defroach
I still want to try it but don't think I'll buy it.
jetch17
AG
You can have 1 of mine
army01
AG
quote:
I broke my infinium out a couple months ago and was disappointed to say the least, especially since the bottle was like 25 bucks

$25?!? I think I paid $16.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone have the No Label Mint IPA yet? A local bar had it on draft the other night and I must say, one of the hoppiest IPAs ive ever had. Tastes even happier than the Green Flash West Coast IPA. Not much mint, but it does leave your mouth kind of tingly. Pretty good brew.

Marooned_n_Aggieland
The week ahead ... I see some greatness!

Looked like a wonderful way to try several of Ommegang's brews which I generally like.

-- edit for typo

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 7/8/2012 11:37a).]
cpscAG06
AG
where are yall finding the Rebecca Creek Small Batch?

thanks.
wurmhole
AG
I had the N.L. Mint IPA last night at Holy Grail. I didn't find it overly hoppy and the mint was a nice touch. I'll try it again when it's not my last beer of the night.
EFE
AG
quote:
Specs up on 249 had an asston of Voodoo come in and a bunch of guys were in there making a big deal about it... I had to burst thier bubble and told them it was ass.

You should have let them drink that horse piss like the rest of us who thought it would be good did
jetch17
defroach
I have been hoping no label mint IPA makes it up to Austin...but so far, no luck.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I had the N.L. Mint IPA last night at Holy Grail. I didn't find it overly hoppy and the mint was a nice touch. I'll try it again when it's not my last beer of the night.

Interesting, I had it as my first, so maybe the hops really stood out more because of that.

Interesting also that I too had it at the Holy Grail (just moved to McKinney).
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:

You should have let them drink that horse piss like the rest of us who thought it would be good did

On the other hand, they also had a sh*tload of Burton Baton, too
Marooned_n_Aggieland
From last weekend:

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9474675

Copper color and floral hop nose. Not as bitter as expected. Ok but not getting any standout taste. Kinds wimpy for an IPA but might be a good gateway into IPAs. Solar powered brewery!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
From Saturday while tending the pit ...

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9711013

Ba calls this a Munich Dunkel Lager with a style description of:

"Munich Dunkels are smooth, rich and complex, but without being heady or heavy. They boast brilliant ruby hues from the large amounts of Munich malts used, and these malts also lend a fuller-bodied beer"

I didn't get much for richness or complexity. Ok, I'll say it was smooth. Basically, the beer left me wanting - wanting more taste! I'll pass on this next time but will try their pils which I think is on tap here in Aggieland at a venue.

Next I had to go for some taste ...

http://untappd.com/user/BottleCapAg/checkin/9714982

Hop Devil IPA. Nice copper color and great head. Wonderful floral nose yelling out IPA! There was some bite up front but it calmed down quickly. Ok, this is a pretty decent IPA. The bitterness is not overwhelming but yet distinctive. I like this one.

---

Oh yes, the brisket came out good too! 2hours per pound running between 225 and 250F. Just had a chopped beef sammy and it was sooooo good!

-- edit to resize pic

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 7/8/2012 5:45p).]
hbc07
AG
been gone a while due to work and that topday is my birthday

earlier this week, hit up hopworks urban brewery. had a bunch of different beers there:

today went to lucky labrador brewery:

and then followed it up with a trip to the hair of the dog brewery where i had (from L to R) lila, ruth, fred, adam, and blue dot.

so far, it's been a successfult birthday.

i'm on untapped at my username as well

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 7/8/2012 6:13p).]
hbc07
AG
i also had this last night, it was fairly good.

jetch17
AG
Happy birthday, slick!
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.