Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,639,928 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by La Fours
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
speaking of buying off beer sites, what's the best one to use where being in tx won't be a problem? there's some stuff I'd really like to try and might not be able to trade for, which I'm not opposed to paying a little extra for within reason (like heady). I've never used one of those sites before and not sure how to proceed. some day I'd like to use belgium in a box to score some good lambics I've never had the chance to try, but I hear it can be a bit of a hassle. cantillon is at the very top of my list of stuff I'm dying to try, but i would also like to know of some decent sites to score some domestic stuff I can't get here, like heady, some of the better fruited sours, etc. thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

My Beer Cellar and My Beer Collectibles are both sites that aren't online retail operations. They're just forums for people to buy and sell directly to one another. You wont run into any hassle in regards to shipping. Youre just at the mercy of the packing skills of the seller.

There are also some Facebook groups where people buy and sell beer.

Just be prepared to pay secondary market prices.
steve00
AG
I just got a bunch of stuff from my beer collectibles. Really worked very smoothly. 5 out of 6 orders from the Friday before last have arrived, and the last one is on the way, just delayed by some kind of postal strike up north. Cost seemed reasonable to me, considering I was paying to get stuff I normally could never get.

For example-4 pack of Heady was $40 plus $15 for shipping. Seems like a lot, but any random craft beer you get locally at a bar isn't too much cheaper than that, so I find it worth splurging for something hard to get.
steve00
AG

The first beer had specific instructions about drinking it from the can, so I ended up sticking with the can theme tonight.
62strat
AG
quote:

For example-4 pack of Heady was $40 plus $15 for shipping. Seems like a lot, but any random craft beer you get locally at a bar isn't too much cheaper than that,
What the hell kinda bars you go to?

I pay like $5 for pints of beer.. or $6-$9 for goblets of specialty stuff. $13.75 for a pint of ipa?? That's like, rape with no lube, dude.

Hugo Stiglitzz
I guess I'm getting raped too. I shell out $8ish - $10ish for of good IPA / IIPA all the time. 9oz pour of a good barrel aged stout will be even more $10ish - $13ish. Pretty standard...for Houston at least.
Hugo Stiglitzz
Out here in Cali. Trader Joes and brewery only.

Like I said, it's a really good IPA - Great combination of Citrusy and Danky
dixie whiskey
AG
thanks for the info. there goes all my extra cash
maca1028
The secondary market prices pretty much make up for what you would spend buying beer to trade once you factor in package supplies and shipping cost.
Hugo Stiglitzz
and driving to Austin...
steve00
AG
Average price for a brewery pint at Stone and Ballast Point is $7. Add two for a tip and you are at $9. Restaurants and regular bars are often a couple bucks more.

The difference between that and a bucket list beer for a few dollars more is negligible to me. Sure I'd like to pay $12.50 retail for a 4 pack of Heady. I'd also like to walk into the liquor store and buy it whenever I want, but neither of those things is realistic since I don't live in Vermont.
NColoradoAG
quote:
The secondary market prices pretty much make up for what you would spend buying beer to trade once you factor in package supplies and shipping cost.

This is definitely true for hops. If you want to try all the hot IPAs its easier to just buy them than trade for them. Assuming you dont have a regular trader friend in each area.
maca1028
quote:
quote:

This is definitely true for hops. If you want to try all the hot IPAs its easier to just buy them than trade for them. Assuming you dont have a regular trader friend in each area.

Oh yea, definitely just for hops, the prices for some of the other stuff is well outside what I'm willing to pay.
SecoKid
AG
Haven't had any whales recently, but I've been crushing some Real Ale Gose lately. Also had a Branchline The Visitor last night, which was really good for a San Antonio brewed IPA.
Cheers!
Represent830
AG
The Real Ale Gose is probably my favorite summer beer this year.
62strat
AG
La Fours
AG
quote:
The Real Ale Gose is probably my favorite summer beer this year.
Mine too. I've been drinking a lot of it this summer.
62strat
AG
quote:
Average price for a brewery pint at Stone and Ballast Point is $7. Add two for a tip and you are at $9. Restaurants and regular bars are often a couple bucks more.

The difference between that and a bucket list beer for a few dollars more is negligible to me. Sure I'd like to pay $12.50 retail for a 4 pack of Heady. I'd also like to walk into the liquor store and buy it whenever I want, but neither of those things is realistic since I don't live in Vermont.
$7-$9 does not equal $13.75..

Maybe my prices could be off, I haven't gone out a whole lot with 2 kids in the last 2 years.

steve00
AG
I never said it was the same price. Just that it was close enough.

If I'm choosing between a Sculpin and a Heady Topper, the $5 price difference isn't a consideration for me. Maybe it is for other people or maybe it would be for me if the price difference was $50.

I figure that drinking beer isn't an especially frugal use of my money anyway, so what's another couple of bucks to get what I want.
NColoradoAG
quote:

I figure that drinking beer isn't an especially frugal use of my money anyway, so what's another couple of bucks to get what I want.

Exactly. Complaining about the price of limited and specialty beers annoys me more than anything else .
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Made it to Nobi on my way back from Galveston. This place is ****ing awesome.

Between Nobi and the Petrol Station, the craft beer bars in Houston seem to be on another level compared to Dallas.

I think the actual breweries are better in Dallas, but the bars are better in Houston.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Complaining about the price of limited and specialty beers annoys me more than anything else .
To be clear, I'm not complaining about the price.. I was challenging the notion that almost $15 for a shipped beer is 'about what you'd pay at a bar anyway'.

Only a small percentage of beers get up in to the double digit range on tap.. most beers, IPAs especially, are typically much less.

How much is juicy bits in the taproom?

PtE is about $5 for a pint IIRC.. in CA.
jh0400
AG
Somebody want to point me to this place where I can get Heady for $60? It's on my list to try, and that doesn't seem too bad. It's a lot cheaper than flying to Vermont.
jetch17
AG
quote:
Somebody want to point me to this place where I can get Heady for $60? It's on my list to try, and that doesn't seem too bad. It's a lot cheaper than flying to Vermont.

http://www.mybeercollectibles.com/listing/alchemistlawsonsfiddlehead/153794
steve00
AG
Slow down on that particular one. I have a strong feeing the current high bidder will outbid you.

That is the website though. Just check it each day and more Heady 4 packs will show up. I bought two from different people last week.
jetch17
AG
Yeah I didn't realize that one didn't have a 'buy outright' option
steve00
AG

This is a great IPA. Glad I got to try it. For me, it's on the same level as Pliny and Heady, but since it was a lot harder to get, I'd probably lean toward the others instead.
Kyle98
AG
Latest batch of homebrew saison. Had to get a shot of the new granite counters!
Represent830
AG
When are you going to send out a sample batch to everyone on this thread to then overhyped your beer and cause mass hysteria and the growing of neckbeards and long lines?
Kyle98
AG
quote:
When are you going to send out a sample batch to everyone on this thread to then overhyped your beer and cause mass hysteria and the growing of neckbeards and long lines?
Ha! As soon as the brewery opens, I'll have to!
NColoradoAG
Bourbon County Stout and Proprietors now being refunded. Such a shame, but GI is doing the right thing here for customers. I know ill be buying as much as I can again in November.

http://www.gooseisland.com/bcsrefund.html
AggieStout
AG

Picked up a buffalo bayou gingerbread stout yesterday at total wine off lakeline in austin. Stole this image of what it looks like off google.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
Bourbon County Stout and Proprietors now being refunded. Such a shame, but GI is doing the right thing here for customers. I know ill be buying as much as I can again in November.

http://www.gooseisland.com/bcsrefund.html

It was only a matter of time. Wish I would have saved my emtpies
cc10106
This is holding up well. Glad i stocked up.

aggiemike02
AG
great beer.
62strat
AG
Wait... deja vu, didn't this refund already happen?
First Page Last Page
Page 968 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.